Expected Salary " The best answer"

Discussion in 'Employment & Jobs' started by economist, Aug 27, 2011.

1. economist

economist New Member

Good morning,

Is it possible for one to answer this tricky question by saying the following answer:

I'm not concerned about the salary as much as I'm concerned about the experience that I can get, but I think the salary that you offer to anyone in such a position would be suitable for me.
    Or there's an answer better than the one mentioned.

Your help would be highly apperciated.

Thanks

2. soundian

soundian Gigabyte Poster

A rough translation, the way an employer would hear it: "I'm not very experienced so I'll probably accept something at or slightly below what you'd pay someone who was experienced."

Certifications: A+, N+,MCDST,MCTS(680), MCP(270, 271, 272), ITILv3F, CCENT
    WIP: Knuckling down at my new job
  3. JonnyMX

JonnyMX Petabyte Poster

Both excellent answers to a difficult question.

It really depends on the job and your level of experience and how in-demand you are.
    I'd start by doing some research into going rates for equivalent jobs so you know what ballpark you're looking at. I'd also make sure I knew what other perks might be included (like free parking) which can end up making a difference.

For most jobs, I'd probably answer something along the lines of what has already been said.

That all changes though when you become an expert in your field and start applying for senior jobs. Then you can tell them what they need to give you to prevent you from leaving the room there and then.

Certifications: MCT, MCTS, i-Net+, CIW CI, Prince2, MSP, MCSD
  4. derkit

derkit Gigabyte Poster

"I think the market rate is about what I'm aiming for. After more experience I would consider other options".

That was a line I used - and it worked - got about £2k more than I had planned! :-)

Certifications: MBCS, BSc(Hons), Cert(Maths), A+, Net+, MCDST, ITIL-F v3, MCSA
    WIP: 70-293