Exercise - Supplements, confused...

Discussion in 'The Lounge - Off Topic' started by Kitkatninja, Aug 11, 2011.

1. Kitkatninja
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Kitkatninja aka me, myself & I Moderator

Hi All,

A question for those that take supplements pre- & post- exercise.

Do you take creatine and/or (either) egg & milk/whey protein?

I've been building up my strength now (since I've damaged my knee, yes I've got the go ahead from the GP & Physio) and I've been taking protein supplements (first Egg & Milk, but now Whey).

However I've come across creatine, I've read a little about it and am confused as to what it actually is. As price is a factor, is it worth switching over to creatine or stay with protein supplements?

Thanks

-Ken

Certifications: MSc, PGDip, PGCert, BSc, HNC, LCGI, MBCS CITP, MCP, MCSA, MCSE, MCE, A+, N+, S+, Server+
    WIP: MSc Cyber Security
  2. metalhead66

metalhead66 Bit Poster

Ken ask the question here these guys work @ my place very experienced & helpful

Last edited: Aug 11, 2011
    WIP: A+
  3. metalhead66

metalhead66 Bit Poster

WIP: A+
    wagnerk likes this.
  4. Bri1981

Bri1981 Byte Poster

Hi Ken, go with krealkalyn rather than creatine, have a look here
    No loading or cycling and it works quicker without any side effects.
    Take this in addition to a decent whey protein and you should see some good results.

Certifications: See signature
    WIP: MBA entry diploma
    wagnerk likes this.
  5. fliquid

fliquid Nibble Poster

You can get all the vitamins and minerals you need from whole food.

The whey will help with the muscle growth/strength. If strength is what you're after stick with the whey. (Or just maintain a proper diet)

Milk protein (casein) is processed slowly so it's good to have before bed as it feeds you while you sleep. Whey, on the other hand is processed a lot faster and is usually had pre and post training.

I've taken creatine in the past, saw no benefit after a substantial amount of time so stopped wasting my money on it. I also used to take whey, but I've stopped now and just cleaned up my diet instead. (Tuna FTW!)

Excellent strength training/conditioning forum: RossTraining.com • Index page

Might be worth checking out the Nutrition and Supplementation section.

Hope the knee sorts itself out! =)

Certifications: MCDST, A+, N+, S+, ITIL v3F, 70-642
    WIP: CCENT
    wagnerk likes this.
  6. sheepluv

sheepluv Byte Poster

+1 - Creatine just makes you put on some weight while your on it, it may make you work a bit harder in the gym (some say) but as long as your not slacking there is no benefit.

You can also use Skim milk for post workout, depends on your size but drink about 2 pints if you can. You obviously not doing a full workout so wont need huge amounts of carbs/protein. The whey is useful to supplement diet, typically the amount quoted in decent areas is 1/2g per lb of lean bodyweight and 1g during heavy training. Preworkout, just something that gets your through ok ie a baked potato or something.

Wide spectrum Vit and mineral supps are useful (so are Cod liver oil etc..) for general health.

good forum, although gone quiet the old questions are still here (Mcrobert on the parent site to this forum has the best publications on weight training on the market IMO) http://www.hardgainer.com/roundtable.html

Last edited: Aug 11, 2011
    Certifications: CCNA | HND | 70-646
    wagnerk likes this.
  7. Modey

Modey Terabyte Poster

Bollocks to all this fancy stuff, a McDonalds breakfast every day will sort you out mate. :)

Certifications: A+, N+, MCP, MCDST, MCSA 2K3, MCTS, MOS, MTA, MCT, MCITP:EDST7, MCSA W7, Citrix CCA, ITIL Foundation
    WIP: Nada
    wagnerk likes this.
  8. Shinigami

Shinigami Megabyte Poster

Creatine is found in meat. If taken as a supplement, helps your muscles load up on water making them appear larger. It may also help nutrients get to your muscles quicker, but you need to drink a lot of water when taking it or you'll end up dehydrated. Taking creatine and drinking alcohol is not recommended (as alcohol will dehydrate you).

Creatine is not the same thing as protein supplements. Protein is used by the muscles to rebuild themselves after activity and to help them grow larger (rather than increasing the number of individual muscle cells, they grow stronger by growing larger, similar to fat cells). You can get the protein from many things such as meat or eggs, but whey protein is considered safe and a dose of it after an intense workout really helps your muscles recover rapidly as they'll be 'starving' for the easiest possible intake of nutrients right then and there.

Creatine does not replace protein, don't confuse the two. If you like your regular alcohol intake, it's probably best to not bother with creatine.

I workout in the evenings after work. I start by jogging to warmup with just a little water to keep hydrated (not too much, you'll get stomach cramps). Then I lift weights and finish off with a whey protein shake (I just mix it with water, you can mix it with milk if you like for an added boost, but water is much cheaper). Then I go for a shower and drink more water afterwards. Finally, I eat roughly an hour after having taken the whey protein as the muscles will have absorbed the protein by then and then the body has calmed down a bit and can start digesting real food. Eating too early after a workout is not as useful from what I've read on the body building sites/forums...

Certifications: MCSE, MCITP, MCDST, MOS, CIW, Comptia
    WIP: Win7/Lync2010/MCM
    wagnerk likes this.
  9. sheepluv

sheepluv Byte Poster

:biggrin lol agrree

Ken - As you are only building up your knee dont worry too much about anything. I would do some milk on a post workout (skim, no fat as slows digestion). It would not harm to have a pint of skim or semi in the morning too, but its only one isolation exercise and not much muscle so your recovery system will do just fine. There is a window of opportunity post workout of around an hour, or less to make sure. Good sources say drink something within half hour. Then in about an hour or so have a good meal like said above.

For building up overall as in bodybuilding, you need calorie `excess` for non beginners (beginners can put on muscle for a bit without changing their diet) with protein levels along wot I said and some carbs and good fat too. Put on some fat in anabolic then switch back to dieting later on .. anyways :)

Last edited: Aug 12, 2011
    wagnerk likes this.
  10. Kitkatninja

Thanks guys for all the advice so far :)

I'm actually building up my whole body, not just my knee - I damaged my knee a while ago and have only just been given (a few weeks ago) the go ahead to start (slowly) returning to exercise.

-Ken

Certifications: MSc, PGDip, PGCert, BSc, HNC, LCGI, MBCS CITP, MCP, MCSA, MCSE, MCE, A+, N+, S+, Server+
  11. zxspectrum

zxspectrum Terabyte Poster Forum Leader Gold Member

Steroids, use them, not only do you look big, but your willy shrinks and you get an attitude normally associated with 8 cans of stella, plus you then can gain employment as a bouncer and not use your brain, and then also beat people up for nothing lol

Depends how much you want to build up, please dont go down te drag your knuckles on the floor route, and also think of ths, if you become big then dont you hav to maintian that size, and could you do that at 60??

Ed

Certifications: BSc computing and information systems
    WIP: 70-680
    wagnerk likes this.
  12. Kitkatninja

lol, na mate, not looking to be that big I still want to be able to move without straining myself :) I'm just trying to get leaner, think of Bruce Lee & Jackie Chan (younger years) instead of Arnie :)

-Ken

13. sheepluv

sheepluv Byte Poster

Do you recommend the gear then? Not good for you, especially long term. I have resisted to take anything like that, it would be great to have that sort of responsiveness in the gym but look at the potential long term problems!

14. Biggjoe81

Biggjoe81 Bit Poster

Hi,

I have tried the creatines and the wheys in the past. But I can tell you nothing beats hemp seeds. Yes hemp seed/powder, mind you this is different from the canabis which makes you high. The hemp seed I am talking about contains very negligible THC levels thus you can consume massive amounts and you will never get high.It is sold in health food shops.

Hemp seeds contain all the essential amino acids and essential fatty acids necessary for muscle repair and hypertrophy. There is no other single plant source that has all the essential amino acids in such an easily digestible form.

I can go on and on about it but i would like you to research about it and make up your own mind about. At least it is a natural product with no side effects comparetd to creatine, whey powder, steroids etc.

wagnerk likes this.
  15. Shinigami

Shinigami Megabyte Poster

Pure Whey Protein is not really supposed to have any side effects per se... it's also a natural product, just in a concentrated fashion. Can result in you passing more gas than usual however :p

Certifications: MCSE, MCITP, MCDST, MOS, CIW, Comptia
    WIP: Win7/Lync2010/MCM
  16. Kitkatninja

Thanks guys for all the advice :) For now I've decided to carry on with whey protein, but added to that I'm also trying L-Carnitine to help increase metabolism (to assist in getting rid of the excess fat).

@Biggjoe81, thanks I'll look into Hemp seeds. What do you think of this from Holland & Barrett? :)

-Ken

Last edited: Aug 17, 2011