Exchange Server 2003 Standard

Discussion in 'Networks' started by jjustice, Feb 10, 2006.

1. jjustice

jjustice New Member

Scenario:

Was using external POP3 e-mail account(s) provided by third party vendor.

Bought:
    Exchange server 2003
    Installed on new server in new domain
    Installed basic DNS server in new domain on new server

Added MX record mail.domainname.com on Register.com's client portal to point to my firewall's public IP address. Configured firewall to re-route all smtp request to internal Exchange server (above) (Has internal network address 192.168.1.98)
    Have firewall setup to re-direct all DNS request to Internal DNS server (192.168.1.2)

My mail server name is ServerMail.domainname.com, do I need to rename it to mail.domainname.com ???

I can't ping the public IP address from my internal address either, although I have had someone from the outside ping it fine... Can anyone offer any insight into thsi issue ???

I have tried sending an e-mail to my new address however it gets returned undeliverable. Should my client email settings reflect mail.domainname.com or servermail.domainname.com ?
    I configured it as connecting to Microsoft Exchange server with the servermail.domainname.com...How does exchange know which to use ?

Thanks,

JJ

2. The_Geek

The_Geek Megabyte Poster

You should be able to leave the mail server serverMail.domainname.com, just make sure the IPS that owns the IP address sets a reverse lookup for that email server.

Certifications: CompTIA and Micro$oft
    WIP: PDI+
  3. jjustice

jjustice New Member

I tried adding a reverse lookup in my dns server, but do not see an option other than adding an entire new zone....