Exchange question

Discussion in 'Software' started by Theprof, Feb 11, 2012.

1. Theprof

Theprof Petabyte Poster

Question, what do you guys do to export a list of all the distribution groups in Exchange 2007? There's usually an export list option, but the version of exchange I am dealing with needs to be updated I think because it does not have Export list option.. I know there are scripts and powershell commands that can be run... I am also wondering if get-distributiongroup command in EMS would do the trick... ideal I just want to export 1000 DG's to an excel file... I can run it and pop all the DG's but can't seem to find the export to csv command... maybe I am missing something simple.

Certifications: A+ | CCA | CCAA | Network+ | MCDST | MCSA | MCP (270, 271, 272, 290, 291) | MCTS (70-662, 70-663) | MCITP:EMA | VCA-DCV/Cloud/WM | VTSP | VCP5-DT | VCP5-DCV
    WIP: VCAP5-DCA/DCD | EMCCA
  2. Sparky
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Sparky Zettabyte Poster Moderator

What SP level is Exchange at? I had an issue when I was doing an Exchange 2007 install a couple of years ago and my powershell script would not work - after I service packed Exchange 2007 to SP2 (the latest at the time) it worked fine after that.

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
    WIP: Microsoft Certs
  3. Theprof

Theprof Petabyte Poster

I'd have to check tomorrow to be sure... but I think its related to a service pack as to why I don't have the export list option in distribution groups.

Certifications: A+ | CCA | CCAA | Network+ | MCDST | MCSA | MCP (270, 271, 272, 290, 291) | MCTS (70-662, 70-663) | MCITP:EMA | VCA-DCV/Cloud/WM | VTSP | VCP5-DT | VCP5-DCV
  4. Theprof

Theprof Petabyte Poster

It does not have a service pack... would explain why I am missing the option... I will have to script something I guess to get the list and update to SP2...

Edit: I was able to export the list of DG's through the exchange powershell command below:

Get-DistributionGroup -ResultSize Unlimited | export-csv dg1.csv

Last edited: Feb 13, 2012
  5. Gav

Gav Kilobyte Poster

That will do part of the job, but you'll find that certain fields will contain multiple values, so a basic Get/Export won't do the trick (you may only want some basic info, in which case this won't bother you). Get-DistributionGroup also won't give you the members.

If you want to do the members as well, it's probably easiest to create multiple CSVs, something like...

Export:

$dgs = Get-DistributionGroup
    foreach ($dg in $dgs){
    $filename = $dg.alias+".csv"
    Get-DistributionGroupMember $dg | Export-CSV $filename
    }

Import:
    $dgs = Get-Childitem C:\DGs\
    foreach ($dg in $dgs){
    $dgmembers = Import-CSV $dg
    foreach ($dgmember in $dgmembers){
    Add-DistributionGroupMember -identity $dg.primarysmtpaddress -member $dgmember.primarysmtpaddress
    }
    }

I haven't tested the above code, but I've written a similar script recently that worked (albeit a little more polished than the above example) :-)

6. Theprof

Theprof Petabyte Poster

Nice! I agree with you, in this particular requirement, the user wanted just the email groups with their email address... not the individual users in them :) I have a powershell script that I can customize to run, similar to yours actually... I set it aside for when I really need it :)