Problem Exchange Mailbox Restore

Discussion in 'Software' started by westernkings, Mar 24, 2011.

1. westernkings

westernkings Gigabyte Poster

Hi gents,

Quick question;

I have a copy of the entire first and second storage folders from November last year. Between then and now people have deleted emails and had their accounts renamed but we need to recover one of the mailboxes as it was on November (reasons I can't say)

Is this possible? and if so what is the process involved in restoring from a copy of the databases? I was looking at RSG but it started getting a little complex when talking about disabled accounts etc.

Many thanks you bunch of geniuses.

Certifications: MCITP:VA, MCITP:EA, MCDST, MCTS, MCITP:EST7, MCITP:SA, PRINCE2, ITILv3
  2. LukeP

LukeP Gigabyte Poster

Not really sure mate but the first question would be: which version of Exchange server?

WIP: Uhmm... not sure
  3. westernkings

2007 guys. Forgot about that :D

Certifications: MCITP:VA, MCITP:EA, MCDST, MCTS, MCITP:EST7, MCITP:SA, PRINCE2, ITILv3
  4. Notes_Bloke

Notes_Bloke Terabyte Poster

Certifications: 70-210, 70-215, A+,N+, Security+
    WIP: MCSA
  5. onoski

onoski Terabyte Poster

I think a work around would be to have the mailbox restored to an alternate location and then pst the e-mails using Exmerge if application. This way you can import the extracted pst email data to a mailbox of your choice.

Certifications: MCSE: 2003, MCSA: 2003 Messaging, MCP, HNC BIT, ITIL Fdn V3, SDI Fdn, VCP 4 & VCP 5
    WIP: MCTS:70-236, PowerShell
  6. westernkings

I did look at RSG but gave up when it said "you need to install the EMC onto a 32bit machine" although it seems to be what I'm going to have to do.

Will take a look and let you know how I get on. thanks guys :)

7. Shinigami

Shinigami Megabyte Poster

So you have an Exchange setup, but you've never tested a restore of mailbox? tsk tsk ;)

(actually, happens quite often... unfortunately when things go belly up or a mailbox needs to be restored asap, it's when PSS gets all the support calls)

Certifications: MCSE, MCITP, MCDST, MOS, CIW, Comptia
    WIP: Win7/Lync2010/MCM
  8. onoski

onoski Terabyte Poster

Just download and install the microsoft management support tools for exchange server 2007 the 32 bit version and take it from there.

Certifications: MCSE: 2003, MCSA: 2003 Messaging, MCP, HNC BIT, ITIL Fdn V3, SDI Fdn, VCP 4 & VCP 5
    WIP: MCTS:70-236, PowerShell
  9. Theprof

Theprof Petabyte Poster

Last edited: Mar 24, 2011
    Certifications: A+ | CCA | CCAA | Network+ | MCDST | MCSA | MCP (270, 271, 272, 290, 291) | MCTS (70-662, 70-663) | MCITP:EMA | VCA-DCV/Cloud/WM | VTSP | VCP5-DT | VCP5-DCV
    WIP: VCAP5-DCA/DCD | EMCCA