Exchange mailbox aliases

Discussion in 'Exchange Exams' started by Stoney, May 8, 2007.

1. Stoney

Stoney Megabyte Poster

Morning,

Just a quicky!

Is there a limit to the number of aliases a mailbox can have in Exchange server 2003?

So if I wanted 1000 aliases for the same user, could I have 1000 aliases?

Cheers

Certifications: 25 + 50 metre front crawl
    WIP: MCSA - Exam 70-270
  2. Sparky
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Sparky Zettabyte Poster Moderator

Not sure mate but have seen accounts with 20-30 aliases, surely that should be enough :biggrin

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
    WIP: Microsoft Certs
  3. zebulebu

zebulebu Terabyte Poster

I'm pretty sure there aren't any hard and fast limits, but, like Sparks, I can't see where a user would need more than a few aliases?

Can you enlighten us as to what you're trying to achieve - there may be a 'better' way to do it than multiple aliases

Certifications: A few
    WIP: None - f*** 'em
  4. Kitkatninja
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Kitkatninja aka me, myself & I Moderator

I have to say that I've also seen users with approx 20 alias. I don't think that there is a limit, but then again I can't find any info backing up my opinion or proving my opinion wrong.

-Ken

Certifications: MSc, PGDip, PGCert, BSc, HNC, LCGI, MBCS CITP, MCP, MCSA, MCSE, MCE, A+, N+, S+, Server+
    WIP: MSc Cyber Security
  5. Stoney

Stoney Megabyte Poster

Thanks for the feedback guys, i'll try and explain what we're trying to achieve.

The company I work for is a Logistics company, we plan transport on behalf of our customers. We are a 4th party logistics company which means we don't actually have any vehicles ourselves, but we get hauliers to offer us competetitive rates for moving our customers goods about. I could go on but I think that's about as much as you need to know at the moment.

When one of our hauliers drops something off for a customer he/she will get a POD (Proof of Delivery) signed by the customer who receives the goods. We require a copy of this POD for invoicing and costing, blah blah blah.

Currently, all POD's are sent to an email account called [email protected]. We have Outlook running on a server with this account open, and when an email is received with a POD attached, it is moved to a folder in outlook that relates to the haulage comapny that sent the email. This is done simply by rules that move the email depending on the senders email address. From here some Macro's run and the POD is moved to our web server where customers and hauliers can view the scanned image of the POD.

This works fine at the moment, but now the 'powers that be' would like the POD's seperated into different directories depending on the customer that the haulier was operating for. This proves a problem because we can use the same haulier for more than one of our customers, and when we receive the email there is no information to pull out that determines if the POD relates to customer A, customer B or customer C.

So basically I need to filter emails depending on the haulier that sent the email and the customer that the haulier was working for. The haulier bit is fine because we can get this info from the senders address. The customer info is not enetered on the email anywhere. There is also talk that the emails may be bit split further according to the customer site that the goods where collected from. This equates to about 40+ different sub folders in the Outlook mailbox.

One option is to get the hauliers to enter something in the email that they send to us that we can pick out and run a rule against. However, most of this process is automated and the technology that is used only allows one global subject entry for all emails. We also don't want to rely on other people to enter this info because there is a risk that if they mess up, then our customers could potentially see each others POD's.

Another option is to create an indivdual mailbox for each customer and create sub folders for each haulier. This may work but we would need multiple instances of Outlook open for each mailbox. We would also need to buy more licenses for our AV on Exchange to cover the extra mailboxes. This may also prove a problem when we come to implement the customer collection site part fo the hierachy.

So I was thinking about multiple aliases for the [email protected] email address. Examples would be [email protected], [email protected], and then when we start to include sites we would use, [email protected]. All emails would go to the current mailbox and get processed as they should.

This seems like the most feasible option at the moment but if you know of a better way then please let me know.

Cheers!

Certifications: 25 + 50 metre front crawl
    WIP: MCSA - Exam 70-270