Exchange - mail size limits

Discussion in 'Software' started by zebulebu, Jun 14, 2007.

1. zebulebu

zebulebu Terabyte Poster

Hey folks

Just trying to canvass some opinion here. What are the mail limits at your organisation for external mail? I'm coming under ridiculous pressure from some of my users to remove the restrictions completely (yeah - like that's ever gonna happen!) and just want to get a feeler for what its like out in the real world at the minute :rolleyes:

Currently, my policy is anything up to 4Mb can be sent at any time, anything between 4Mb and 10Mb is delayed until 'release points' during the day (18:00, 22:00 and 02:00) when releasing a load of SMTP traffic won't have such a detrimental effect on our bandwidth (we've got a relatively small (T1) link to the outside world) and anything over 10Mb is dropped.

In my experience, these limits are actually reasonably lax - I've certainly worked in places where they were much more strict.

Can anybody compare the limits in their organisation with ours?

Cheers :biggrin

Certifications: A few
    WIP: None - f*** 'em
  2. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

At my last place, I think we had either a 2MB or 5MB restriction per message.

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  3. supag33k

supag33k Kilobyte Poster

Well a defacto standard for standard users in corporate and government is 2Mb, and say 5Mb for graphics power users and managers ..but that is perceived as too low these days.

I know plenty of places that now run 5Mb for users and 10Mb for graphics users and managers.

Having said that - where I am now we dont run any limits because so much of our work is graphics based these days.

I also use the Message Tracking Agent in Exchange System Manager to track messages a couple of times per day.

Basically if there is a lot of email or a large attachment that is not work related and being sent out then the users have to look out - if they send out a large number of non work related emails with large attachments they get a visit from the CEO himself. :twisted:

Also I have used sender filtering to limit the dills sending non work related rubbish into our company.

Certifications: MCSE (NT4/2000/2003/Messaging), MCDBA
    WIP: CCNA, MCTS SQL, Exchange & Security stuff
  4. AJ

AJ 01000001 01100100 01101101 01101001 01101110 Administrator

We just use the Exchange default limits.

Certifications: MCSE, MCSA (messaging), ITIL Foundation v3
    WIP: Breathing in and out, but not out and in, that's just wrong
  5. Tinus1959

Tinus1959 Gigabyte Poster

Our limit is 5 MB. If I need to send more, and do not to give the person a ftp account, I'll use www.yousendit.com. This is a more or less open FTP site. 100 MB are free, if you need more, you'll have to pay.

Certifications: See my signature
    WIP: MCSD, MCAD, CCNA, CCNP
  6. hbroomhall

hbroomhall Petabyte Poster Gold Member

We have a 10MB limit on email. Anything over that you are expected to find some other mechanism for sending it.

And Zeb - you have a T1 in Croydon? Is that a typo? And if not, who provided it? :biggrin

Harry.

Certifications: ECDL A+ Network+ i-Net+
    WIP: Server+
  7. onoski

onoski Terabyte Poster

Your policy looks and sounds reasonable but unfortunately this is never enough for end users. At my current organization they are allowed upto 10M no more no less.

Certifications: MCSE: 2003, MCSA: 2003 Messaging, MCP, HNC BIT, ITIL Fdn V3, SDI Fdn, VCP 4 & VCP 5
    WIP: MCTS:70-236, PowerShell
  8. nXPLOSi

nXPLOSi Terabyte Poster

Mine over here is similar, we work with 8MB limits, anything more rejects. Havent had too many problems other then "Im trying to email my entire photo collection, and it wont let me, is the server down?"

Answer: No, but your trying to send 300MB on an email...

Reply: So...whats the problem?

Answer: Slap.

Certifications: A+, Network+, Security+, MCSA 2003 (270, 290, 291), MCTS (640, 642), MCSA 2008
    WIP: MCSA 2012
  9. Fergal1982

Fergal1982 Petabyte Poster

we have 10MB limits here (although our internal DL's are limited to about 100K).

But after an email was sent to most of our (international) company, and people were replying to all, bringing down our servers, we also restricted recipient limits, so they cant send to as many people at once. maximum is 7000 depending on the users requirements.

Certifications: ITIL Foundation; MCTS: Visual Studio Team Foundation Server 2010, Administration
    WIP: None at present
  10. zebulebu

zebulebu Terabyte Poster

LOL

No - this is work I'm talking about - I work in Camden :)

11. hbroomhall

hbroomhall Petabyte Poster Gold Member

Er - the point I was making is that T1s are rarer than hen's teeth in the UK. :p

Harry.

Certifications: ECDL A+ Network+ i-Net+
    WIP: Server+
  12. zebulebu

zebulebu Terabyte Poster

Yeah - its a government network - Cable & Wireless. Not sure if its actually a T1 - but its T1 speed (1.5Mb) so I'm assuming it is. We don't manage our own external connection - its outsourced. Not only that, but we don't manage our internal WAN either - that's outsourced too - to a different Telco.

13. C4sper

C4sper Byte Poster

well I can see I'm a bit crazy here :)

20megs in, 10 megs out, max 200 receipietns
    (that's a payroll company so we do mail A LOT of scanned timesheets - no idea why - it's something to do with the law:)

Certifications: ECDL, A+, MCP, MCDST
    WIP: MCSE, CCNA
  14. Donmac

Donmac Bit Poster

20Mb in and 20Mb out, (With the exception of IT staff and 1 or 2 other users). I work for a planning company so we have alot of OS plans and GIS maps being sent. The avarage total size per month sent and received is 25Gb.... for 120 users, and the ba*%$£#s never clean out their mailboxes. One day i will set storage limits......

Certifications: a few
    WIP: CCDA, CCNP, Ex2k7, Win2k8
  15. Sparky
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Sparky Zettabyte Poster Moderator

When I install the network I keep the Exchange defaults. After the MD complains to the HD that he can’t send his MP3s to his mates the limits get ditched by the support guys.

Usual bandwidth problems, corrupt .ost files as the mailbox is too big but thats the way they wanted it. :rolleyes:

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
    WIP: Microsoft Certs