Exchange Help

Discussion in 'Software' started by gary_potten, Aug 15, 2005.

1. gary_potten

gary_potten Bit Poster

Hi, I have recently taken over an IT support room and have run into my first major consern, the guy that worked here before me did not create any documentation and very little info in general. The problem is that, we have a server running Windows Server 2003, I need to move our email onto Exchange rather that the current VPOP3 stuff they have been running. I thought Exchange was part of server 2003 but it does not seem to be present, is there a way to check if it is installed and if not what would you suggest I do, there are no original disks in the office atall! Please Help!

WIP: MCSE 2003
  2. Phoenix
    Honorary Member

Phoenix 53656e696f7220 4d6f64

erm
    exchange is another grand+ worth of software
    and it requires a hell of a workload to get it working properly, hope your a tough one! :)

easy way to check its installed is look for the directory c:\program files\microsoft exchange\ or whatever

Certifications: MCSE, MCITP, VCP
    WIP: > 0
  3. gary_potten

gary_potten Bit Poster

So isnt exchange part of server 2003 as standard then? The microsoft website seem to suggest it is?

WIP: MCSE 2003
  4. d-Faktor
    Honorary Member

d-Faktor R.I.P - gone but never forgotten.

it can be. it depends on what kind of server version you're running.

if it's plain ol' windows server 2003 (standard, enterprise, web, or data center edition), then you're out of luck. in that case exchange is not part of the package. it's a seperate server application that needs to be installed on top of the default (server) installation. and you won't find it on the server cd either, since you will have to purchase it seperately.

however... you might be talking about the small business server edition. in that case, yes, it is part of the deal.
    http://www.microsoft.com/windowsserver2003/sbs/default.mspx

so first check out your official microsoft cds, docs and/or licenses to determine what version you are running.