1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Exchange e-mail

Discussion in 'Internet, Connectivity and Communications' started by Leey2000k, Sep 9, 2006.

1. Leey2000k

Leey2000k Bit Poster

Hi guys! :biggrin

I have been using a basic Web Hosting account for e-mail, but since I am at work most of the time and still have the need to receive my e-mail's - I have been using the basic Webmail access but because its pop3 all of my e-mails are downloaded when I run outlook and if i reply to people at home via outlook then when I'm at work cant see the sent mail because they arent sync'd, so I have been considering paying for Exchange e-mail not running my own server just paying for a account - But they are all £10+ per month just for 1 Exchange Mailbox I would like 1 exchange mailbox and about 5 normal pop3 mailboxes.

So my question is do you wise ones have any recomendations of how I could get exchange or any cheap hosting companies?

Thanks in advance :biggrin
    Certifications: 70-271
  2. hbroomhall

hbroomhall Petabyte Poster Gold Member

Er - if it is webmail then it isn't POP3. :biggrin Two entirely different systems.

However - ask the hosting site if they do IMAP as well as POP3.

IMAP allows you to leave the email on the server, so you still can see your email from a different client.

Certifications: ECDL A+ Network+ i-Net+
    WIP: Server+
  3. Sparky
    Highly Decorated Member Award

Sparky Zettabyte Poster Moderator

Can you not configure Outlook to leave a copy of the emails on the server? :blink
    Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) Security+ Network+ A+
    WIP: Exchange 2007\2010
  4. Boycie
    Honorary Member

Boycie Senior Beer Tester

I got fed up with relying on ISP mail. Although this service is free, should it play up they won't do anything about it because the <line> is the only part of the agreeement you are paying for.
    I signed up with fastmail and can't fault it. I can now keep my personal e-mail address (and other's) for ever, Amen.
    A friend of mine has been using the same e-mail address (ISP based) for so long, he is afraid to change ISP service.

There are many benefits, including webspace and SMTP. I can use Thunderbird from wherever. :biggrin

Certifications: MCSA 2003, MCDST, A+, N+, CTT+, MCT