Exchange - Book Recommendation

Discussion in 'Exchange Exams' started by JohnBradbury, May 8, 2008.

1. JohnBradbury

JohnBradbury Kilobyte Poster

Looking for some advice with regards to Exchange 2003. I need a good book which covers as much as possible... This doesn't have to be a study guide.

I looked at reviews of the MS Press study guide and they weren't favorable at all...

2. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

My friend Will Schmied (DontPanic on the forums) wrote the Sybex Exchange 2003 (and 2007) book... it's a certification study guide, but it's useful.

Does it have EVERYTHING? Probably not... did you look at the Exchange Server 2003 Resource Kit? Good reviews on the Amazon US site...

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  3. Finkenstein

Finkenstein Kilobyte Poster

I've gone through the Admin guide from Microsoft for the 2007 version, and I thought it was pretty good. Also, the Unleashed 2007 book was really good as well. I haven't read any for 2003, but if the 2007 versions are any indication, they may be worth checking out.

So, I'm not the best of help, but maybe it gave you something to check out.

Certifications: MCP, Network+, CCENT, ITIL v3
    WIP: 640-822
  4. Sparky
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Sparky Zettabyte Poster Moderator

Just bought that book, makes Mike Meyers A+ book look small :biggrin

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
    WIP: Microsoft Certs
  5. zebulebu

zebulebu Terabyte Poster

Absolutely 100% the best resource I have ever used for Exchange is Advanced Exchange Administration by Jim McBee. Its in the top ten of tech books I've ever read - only today I picked it up as I might be called in by a former colleague to consult on an Exchange restore. Its the definitive book on Exchange - presuming you want something that goes beyond the basics.

Certifications: A few
    WIP: None - f*** 'em
  6. fortch

fortch Kilobyte Poster

Is this for reference or daily real-world use? I second the Exchange ResKit for desk work, and Stanek's Exchange book for daily thumbing-through.

Certifications: A+,Net+,Sec+,MCSA:Sec,MCSE:Sec,mASE
  7. JohnBradbury

JohnBradbury Kilobyte Poster

Thanks guys. I've looked at all the books mentioned and I'v ordered the resource kit.