exchange and outlook.

Discussion in 'Networks' started by leosdelsol, Jun 4, 2009.

1. leosdelsol

leosdelsol Banned

Quick question :)

Question.
    A domain is running an exchange server 2003.
    Each user on the network has non-roaming profiles.
    A user has to change computer one day.
    He/She logs on to the new computer to find that they dont have outlook setup on that computer.
    they phone the help desk.

Answer. (This is my answer it might not be correct).
    The helpdesk try to fix the problem by setting up exchange for them.
    They run exchange setup wizard.
    selecting manually configure server settings
    followed by selecting microsoft exchange
    the helpdesk then enter the name of the exchange server(is it best to use the name or IP addy of the server)
    and then enter the name of the mail box (usually the same as the name of the user account)
    (what does "use cached exchange mode" do? am I correct in thinking it saves mail to the c: of the computer? is it better to have this selected or not?)
    the helpdesk then check the names and click next then finish the setup :D

this is were I need a few points cleared up :dry

by doing the above, would the users emails (both old and new) be dragged down from the exchange server and displayed in there new mailbox on the new computer? would any custom changes they had made i.e extra folders and saved contacts also be dragged down?

is it essential that when setting up exchange for a user, that user must be the user that is logged on to the computer in question?

I have no experience with exchange really and am working on a college project that requires me to explain a helpdesk procedure and what effects it would have :rolleyes: also can you guys name a few common problems that occur with exchange at a users side of things?

thanks alot in advance lads

Leo

Certifications: HND Computer networking, 70-271
    WIP: A+
  2. Bluerinse
    Honorary Member

Bluerinse Exabyte Poster

Um.. Exchange is already set up on your network, so there is no need to touch the exchange server itself. Just go into Outlook on the new workstation that the user has logged into.. go to set up new email account.. from the selection of different types of account, ie POP etc, select Microsoft Exchange server.. from there put in the *name* of the exchange server, the users mail box etc.. and it will connect and pull down from the server all of the items that were available on the older workstation. ie emails, contacts, calendars etc. it can take a while if there is a lot of data.

cached mode does store a local copy of this, so that if you are not connected to the exchange server for whatever reason.. poor connection or the server is down or you are out of the office.. you can still access your contacts and calendars etc.

Certifications: C&G Electronics - MCSA (W2K) MCSE (W2K)
  3. leosdelsol

leosdelsol Banned

thanks for the reply bluerinse :)
    i ment to write outlook lol doh 8)
    am i right in thinking the user that the outlook mailbox is being setup for must be logged in at the time of creating it? how does outlook authenticate the user to the mailbox? is it by using his domain credentials?

thanks again
    Leonard

4. dales

dales Terabyte Poster

Not a problem with exchange as such but pst files used to be the baine of our lives in a previous job, they are essentially a file where you can archieve off old emails so that they are not stored on the exchange server (useful if you impose a mailbox size limit on your users). The PST files seemed to randomly corrupt and another from 300 megs to a couple of gigs in size. So of course if user happen to store pst files on their local machine (which outlook used to suggest a local default filepath) then they've lost it. Otherwise you'd need to pass the job onto the tape monkeys to retrieve a working copy of it.

Certifications: vExpert 2014+2015+2016,VCP-DT,CCE-V, CCE-AD, CCP-AD, CCEE, CCAA XenApp, CCA Netscaler, XenApp 6.5, XenDesktop 5 & Xenserver 6,VCP3+5,VTSP,MCSA MCDST MCP A+ ITIL F
    WIP: Nothing
  5. dales

dales Terabyte Poster

Yes the domain creds are used for authentication, when you install exchange it extends the Ad schema what admins see is another couple of tabs in the AD user account.

Certifications: vExpert 2014+2015+2016,VCP-DT,CCE-V, CCE-AD, CCP-AD, CCEE, CCAA XenApp, CCA Netscaler, XenApp 6.5, XenDesktop 5 & Xenserver 6,VCP3+5,VTSP,MCSA MCDST MCP A+ ITIL F
    WIP: Nothing
  6. craigie

craigie Terabyte Poster

Personally, I would not recommend using Cached Exchange Mode unless they have a reason for this to be ticked e.g. Laptop User who works off site on a regular basis.

For the run of the mill Desktop User, I would always detick Cached Exchange Mode, as you can run into issues with the GAL not always being updated.

Just an FYI, Outlook 2007 autopopulates all the information so you don't have to do anything (apart from detick Cached Exchange Mode).

Certifications: CCA | CCENT | CCNA | CCNA:S | HP APC | HP ASE | ITILv3 | MCP | MCDST | MCITP: EA | MCTS:Vista | MCTS:Exch '07 | MCSA 2003 | MCSA:M 2003 | MCSA 2008 | MCSE | VCP5-DT | VCP4-DCV | VCP5-DCV | VCAP5-DCA | VCAP5-DCD | VMTSP | VTSP 4 | VTSP 5
  7. Sparky
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Sparky Zettabyte Poster Moderator

Plenty of things to consider if you are going to use cached exchange mode or not. If the user has a massive mailbox and if they dont have cached mode if can take an age to update a view when browsing the mailbox. With cached mode it is much quicker.

Also worth noting that the .ost file is in the user profile so it can mean it takes a while for the user to log on if they have a roaming profile, especially if they havent used that particular computer before. However on the other hand I installed a network with multiple sites and an Exchange server at HQ. I configured all users with roaming profiles and DFS so when a user logged off the profile was replicated to the remote sites with the .ost file. When they were at a remote office after the initial logon the .ost just needed to be updated rather than running the mailbox over the VPN without cached mode.

Like I said, plenty of things to think about. :biggrin

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
    WIP: Microsoft Certs
  8. leosdelsol

leosdelsol Banned

thanks all as always you's have all been a great help 8)