Exchange and AD

Discussion in 'Employment & Jobs' started by IT2009, Feb 18, 2010.

1. IT2009

IT2009 Byte Poster

I saw many entry/1st Line Support jobs require knowledge in Win Exchange and Active Directory. I never worked with it. How it is to work on these? What would they require from employee to do?

Certifications: MCP, HND Business Information Systems
    WIP: A+
  2. Fergal1982

Fergal1982 Petabyte Poster

depends on the company really...

Our first line adds members to groups, performs password resets, re-enables accounts and thats generally it (sometimes they update other attributes, but not often).

Certifications: ITIL Foundation; MCTS: Visual Studio Team Foundation Server 2010, Administration
    WIP: None at present
  3. Josiahb

Josiahb Gigabyte Poster

Thats the level I'd expect from first line, of course everywheres different.

At that level AD and Exchange are fairly easy to work with, as long as the documentation and change management for the companies well designed anyway....

Certifications: A+, Network+, MCDST, ACA – Mac Integration 10.10
  4. DapperDan

DapperDan Nibble Poster

I agree, it definitely depends on the place you work for.

At the last place I worked for (1st/2nd line support at a large law firm), the desktop team weren't even allowed to change passwords in AD up until a few years ago. We literally had to log the call, send it over to IT Network Services and let them do it! By the time I left a year ago we were moving computer accounts into different OUs, changing passwords and that was about it. We were not allowed to set up new user accounts and we were definitely not allowed anywhere near Exchange :)

Basic AD and Exchange admin is easy enough to pick up though. But to know all the ins and outs of them will take a good while, and that will differ with each individual I am sure.

Certifications: ITIL v3; A+, Network+
  5. IT2009

IT2009 Byte Poster

Is it possible to learn about Ad and Exchange at home/online? At least I will be able to say I know about it when I apply for job...

Certifications: MCP, HND Business Information Systems
    WIP: A+
  6. Gingerdave

Gingerdave Megabyte Poster

sure set up a test lab and off you go!

Certifications: A+,MCP, MCDST, VCP5 /VCP-DV 5, MCTS AD+ Net Inf 2008, MCSA 2008
    WIP: MCSA 2012