Exchange 2010, anyone using it/testing it?

Discussion in 'Software' started by Kitkatninja, Jun 19, 2009.

1. Kitkatninja
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Kitkatninja aka me, myself & I Moderator

Hi All,

Like the title asks, is anyone testing or using Exchange 2010?

This summers projects include upgrading our domain & forest to 2008, at the same time we'll be upgrading our Exchange server. We were going to upgrade to 2007 (we're currently using 2k3), however as 2010 will be release 2nd half of this year, I am seriously considering it.

I've already downloaded the beta, but due to exams and work loads haven't really had to chance to play around with it.

Anyway, back to the original question, for those that have used/trialled it, how have you found it? What problems did you come across? Etc....

Thanks

-Ken

Certifications: MSc, PGDip, PGCert, BSc, HNC, LCGI, MBCS CITP, MCP, MCSA, MCSE, MCE, A+, N+, S+, Server+
    WIP: MSc Cyber Security
  2. zebulebu

zebulebu Terabyte Poster

TBH Ken, I just can't be arsed with E2K10. there is absolutely no reason whatsoever to migrate to it so haven't even downloaded the beta. We aren't running E2K7 either - I can't justify the aggro, grief and expense of completely rearchitecting our mail platform when what we've got (2K3) servers our needs perfectly. I've yet to see anyone give me a compelling reason why I should upgrade to 2007 - let alone 2010! :biggrin

Certifications: A few
    WIP: None - f*** 'em
  3. BrizoH

BrizoH Byte Poster

2010? My new company are on 2000 :blink

Still, just managed to sign up to a nice enterprise agreement so the licenses are in place to upgrade - now I just need to get the hardware signed off....

That said I'll be going to 2007 - don't think I'd touch 2010 for a while, I like to let others experience the issues first

Certifications: CCNA, CCNA Security
    WIP: CCNP
  4. Kitkatninja

For me, it's a few reasons really...

1. Mainstream support ended already, Exchange 2003 has now only extended support
    2. Improved/Increased Unified Communications
    3. Professional/technical development of both our systems and us (IT personnel)

-Ken

Certifications: MSc, PGDip, PGCert, BSc, HNC, LCGI, MBCS CITP, MCP, MCSA, MCSE, MCE, A+, N+, S+, Server+
  5. zebulebu

zebulebu Terabyte Poster

Furry muff

1 - I'm guessing you need to keep 'mainstream support' as a ticked box for compliance purposes? Personally I haven't used PSS for about five years - and Exchange 2003 will continue to be 'supported' (i.e. security patched etc) until 2014. I might get the budget to upgrade then :biggrin
    2 - Blackberry does everything I need in this area - though I might look at the integrated voicemail features of E2K7 if we hadn't renewed Avaya for five years last month
    3 - Now THAT is something I won't argue with! Though I think it wouldn't go down too well if I suggested to my director that I wanted to buy a server for E2K10 (or E2K7 for that matter!) for professional development. he'd probably tell me to buy the server myself :biggrin

Certifications: A few
    WIP: None - f*** 'em
  6. onoski

onoski Terabyte Poster

At work we're still on Exchange server 2000, and the IT director doesn't see why we should upgrade to Exchange server 2003 let alone Exchange server 2007.

We do have the tech net plus subscription and are currently playing with Exchange server 2007 and Windows server 2008, that's pretty much Windows Vista in a three piece suit type of form.

Well, guest Micro$oft has to remain competitive by developing these new platforms or become less competitive which isn't good for their profit margin and monopoly:)

Certifications: MCSE: 2003, MCSA: 2003 Messaging, MCP, HNC BIT, ITIL Fdn V3, SDI Fdn, VCP 4 & VCP 5
    WIP: MCTS:70-236, PowerShell
  7. Kitkatninja

Because we licence all our MS software yearly, plus we have software assurance, it doesn't cost us anymore if we stayed with 2003, upgraded to 2007 or 2010 (when that gets released). So cost isn't an issue with us.

:lol: You never know what's round the corner :)

-Ken