Exchange 2003 SMTP external DNS settings?

Discussion in 'Exchange Exams' started by Mikeyboy, Dec 5, 2011.

1. Mikeyboy

Mikeyboy Kilobyte Poster

Hi All,

Quick question - the other day was going through our exchange settings and noticed the SMTP external DNS settings dont have the same DNS servers as our DNS external servers?

They were changed a little while ago in DNS, and I just wondered if the ones in exchange need to be changed to match them? There is no problem with mail delivery as far as I know, but I do sometimes see (what I think are) DNS related issues in exchange logs, saying stuff like

Dont know if that is related, and if its a case of, it aint broke, dont fix it! but just wondered if it was something that needed changing...

Certifications: VCP,MCSA, MCP, MCDST, MCITP, MCTS, A+, N+
  2. Sparky
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Sparky Zettabyte Poster Moderator

Doesn’t look like a DNS issue from what you have posted. Did the email get through after 5 mins?

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
    WIP: Microsoft Certs
  3. Mikeyboy

Mikeyboy Kilobyte Poster

I think so, nothing in the queues, fine if the message isn't relevant but it was more about the external DNS settings in SMTP, do they need to match the DNS external servers? DNS works fine, exchange works fine, I was just wondering why they were different, and if they needed to match :)

4. Sparky

They don't need to match, you just have the option of using seperate DNS settings if you want.

I keep them the same though. :)

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
  5. SimonD
    Honorary Member

SimonD Terabyte Poster

Do you use an externally hosted AV or Spam vendor (ala MessageLabs or similar)? Or are you using any local AV\Anti Spam software? It sounds like this is whats causing it (the fact that the domain isn't in a safe list etc).

Certifications: CNA | CNE | CCNA | MCP | MCP+I | MCSE NT4 | MCSA 2003 | Security+ | MCSA:S 2003 | MCSE:S 2003 | MCTS:SCCM 2007 | MCTS:Win 7 | MCITP:EDA7 | MCITP:SA | MCITP:EA | MCTS:Hyper-V | VCP 4 | ITIL v3 Foundation | VCP 5 DCV | VCP 5 Cloud | VCP6 NV | VCP6 DCV | VCAP 5.5 DCA
  6. Mikeyboy

Mikeyboy Kilobyte Poster

Yeh we have symantec mail foundation thingy, would it be worth adding to whitelist?

Also, thanks, I just need to check what the correct dns servers are... The ones in the DNS server aren't responding to a ping, exchange ones are... So will see what I can find out...

7. Sparky

Not all DNS servers respond to ping. Better to run nslookup against the IP to see if you can resolve DNS correctly.

8. Mikeyboy

Mikeyboy Kilobyte Poster

is it just nslookup xx.xx.xx.xx or any other commands?

i did this for all 4 addresses, all responded with the server name... so i guess it tells me they are at least alive?

dont know if this is a case of leave it alone cos its probably fine anyway!:biggrin

9. Sparky

Yeah, after that type www.google.co.uk and if you get a few IP addresses then the DNS appears to be working.