Exams 70-620, 70-622 & 70-623

Discussion in 'Windows 7 / 8 /10 Client Exams' started by ScoobyDoo, Aug 23, 2008.

1. ScoobyDoo

ScoobyDoo Byte Poster

Hello everybody,

I am currently working through 70-620 (yawn !!!) & will take it when time allows.

Can I ask some questions / opinions:-

(i) Am I lulling myself into a false sense of security with this exam? The content (per the Microsoft Training Kit - my only resource apart from my computer) implies the exam is easy. Am I in for a shock.

(ii) I will do either 70-622 or 70-623 next. Given I already have an MCDST, should I chance it & not bother prepping for these? The topics (per the Microsoft site) appear to have been covered in 70-620. Would buying another book be a waste of money?

I have to say that I am not at all impressed with any of these exams, they no way match the MCDST / XP equivalents. I would say that 70-624 is probably the most decent of the Vista exams to date.

Comments please.

SD

Certifications: <<See Below>>
  2. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

Since you already have an MCDST, why don't you just take 70-621? It's a combination of 70-620 and 70-622 and will update your MCDST to the MCITP: Somethingorother. I've lost track of the names of their certifications.

70-620 is pretty easy. Although I haven't taken 70-622, I hear it is a bit harder. Haven't heard much about 70-623.

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  3. bootmgr

bootmgr Bit Poster

The exam 70-621 will upgrade the MCDST to MCITP : ' Enterprise support technician ' , which is the same as when successfully completing exam 70-622. On the other hand, Exam 70-623 is : Mcitp : ' Consumer support technician ' and does not deal with domain environments. 70-623 has the same concept of the 70-620 ,only a little more advanced. I would go for either the 70-622 or 70-624 which are totally different than the MCTS 70-620. But if you already have MCDST ,you only need ONE exam to upgrade to MCITP : 'enterprise support technician'.

Cheers

4. BosonMichael

By itself, 70-622 will not upgrade the MCDST to the MCITP: Enterprise Support Technician... you either need to take 70-621 or a combination of 70-620 AND 70-622.

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
  5. bootmgr

bootmgr Bit Poster

Yes exactly,because 70-621 will then be pointless if you were to just pass the 70-622 and upgrade to the MCITP enterprise. I should have cleared that better in the first place. My bad.

Boson Michael ,I think you're the right person to ask hehe but after taking the 70-620 exam ,what next do you recommend me to do? Server admin track? Or continue with the 70-622? I have no experience with domain environments,just very basic knowledge.Will the server track be easier for me? Or just studying for 70-622 using MS book and CBT nuggets should be enough to explain key features of the domain? The MS book for the 70-620 was very good and it had practices so i hope 70-622 MS book will also be as well....

Regards

6. BosonMichael

Ah, that's too bad - I (along with BosonJosh) wrote the 70-620 book for Sybex. :) That's cool, though; I hear Ian's book is quite solid, so you really can't go wrong either way. :thumbleft

I would have recommended getting the 70-271 and 70-272 for the Windows XP MCDST exam, since most companies are still on Windows XP. It's not too late to get it, if you want it. That said, after 70-620, I'd recommend going after 70-622.

I wouldn't recommend pursuing the server admin track until you've got about 6 months of real-world experience with Server 2008 under your belt. Studying for the certification exams can certainly increase your knowledge... but of what real use will the certification be without any real-world server admin experience on your CV? Give it time... because in time, it'll be worthwhile for you to pursue. :)

Keep in mind that most companies are still using Windows Server 2003 (and some still use Windows 2000!) so it's still a good idea to pursue the MCSA/MCSE on 2003. That said, the same caution applies: I wouldn't recommend pursuing the MCSA until you've got 6 months of server admin experience under your belt.

If you don't have the A+ or Network+, it's not a bad idea to knock those out quickly, particularly if you can get your employer to pay for the exam costs. :)

7. bootmgr

bootmgr Bit Poster

Hey BosonMichael ,really appreciate your reply :)

LOL ...what coincidence, hehe but yes the MS book is a good one ,because to be honest ,its about 900pages... and also it is step by step instructions (for me ,the bigger the better and I like details) :D.So if you can provide a book that's like 2000 pages,i'll be your first customer LOL .
    Only fallback with the MS 70-620 book is that many times ,it says that it is out of scope of exam....i wished that they could give a little more details about things that are out of scope and some KEY features are not introduced like DISK MANAGEMENT and some important other subjects .I dont know why, but disk management is very important. Although i am familiar with the the disk management tools thanx to my A+ (yes i already have a 2006 A+ certification) . Studying for the A+ THEN for MCTS 70-620 is a good way to go for a consumer support.

Regarding win XP ,i think that when studying vista,xp will be easy....i mean really what exactly are the special features built in within xp.. for instance, vista contains basic firewall and firewall with advanced security,which is much more advanced than the standard firewall included within xp... most of the features within XP are included within Vista,and Vista contains much more.And not to mention network profiles like public and private that are closely related to the firewall in Vista.Whereas XP is simple and only contains a single network profile,and this is just one example.That is my own opinion about XP btw...

I'll forget about the server then,and continue with the MCITP enterprise 70-622 :) ...and i'll be looking forward for your 70-622 book! (Or your next books) hehe and in detail pls :p ... also, an all in one book (70-620 + 70-622 for example) would be the BEST ,as it would be from the same authors and therefore,LINKS better between the 2 exams,if you know what i mean.

Thanx :)

8. BosonMichael

True, but things work differently with XP, particularly when you have to support it in a business environment. You have to know the differences. So it's not as easy as saying, "If you know Vista, you know XP," because that's not entirely true. That'd be like saying, "If you know Server 2008, you know Server 2003... or 2000... or NT4..." and that's not true either. In any case, THAT is why you should take the XP exams... because businesses use XP instead of Vista, and because you need to know those vital differences.

Well, Sybex controls which authors do which books, and in what format (single exam vs. combo exam) they're provided, so we don't have any say over that. Plus, they DON'T want us straying too far outside the scope of the exam. After all, it's not a "Learn everything about Vista book"... it's a "Pass the 70-620 exam" book. If you want a "Learn everything about Vista" book, they're out there.

Unfortunately, I am unable to write any more certification training books while I'm employed by Boson... so that's where all of my new writing will reside, likely for years to come. :)