Exam updates ? and feeling undescisive

Discussion in 'A+' started by tysfoot, Mar 11, 2009.

1. tysfoot

tysfoot Byte Poster

Hi

i was wondering if there is any update on when the new exams will be revised, i ask this because due to work commitments ive not touched any reading material for nearly 5 weeks and i feel am going to have to start from the beginning, i was half way though the AIO book when i stopped.

I also wanted to add that im feeling a little low at the moment and im not 100% behind my studies because i dont know what career i want to get into.

The thought of going into a monotnous call centre at minimum wage with a mortgage to pay for answering 100 calls a day and then studying for my N+ in the evenings seems a little soul destroying as my first job in I.T

I know its a dog eat dog world out there and you have to start at the bottom to get where you want but i cant help but think is there another way or something else out there for me.

I know there is no answer to that question, i need a good slap around the face and a kick up the arse to get going. pardon my french

Certifications: A+
    WIP: MCDST, N+
  2. greenbrucelee
    Highly Decorated Member Award

greenbrucelee Zettabyte Poster

I think its Q3 this year so that'll be end of July(ish).

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, Security+, 70-270
    WIP: 70-620 or 70-680?
  3. Kitkatninja
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Kitkatninja aka me, myself & I Moderator

No there's no updated news, just what I posted here.

-ken

Certifications: MSc, PGDip, PGCert, BSc, HNC, LCGI, MBCS CITP, MCP, MCSA, MCSE, MCE, A+, N+, S+, Server+
    WIP: MSc Cyber Security
  4. del_port

del_port Byte Poster

The other way is to work for no one,only work for yourself,make good hourly rates, but not get much work,but you'll probably be so stressed out in the first 6 months it would be a relief to go to a low wage job.

There is a huge amount of unemployment forecast for the next 12 months,another 1 million people due to become unemployed ,so people may end up desperate just to get a minimum wage job.

I have a criminal record so self employment is one of my few routes forward,i'm just doing the exams for now and see what happens after that,the future doesn't look good at the moment for uk citizens.

I've lived through the recession and mass unemployment of the 1980s and i think we are heading straight back there just now.

Certifications: A+ and MCDST 70-271
    WIP: mcdst 272
  5. Sparky
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Sparky Zettabyte Poster Moderator

Its not the end of the world mate. I started on a corporate helpdesk many years ago and it was a good laugh tbh and it did give me some commercial experiance which everyone kept going on about at the time. I only stayed 9 months before going to another company to be their Network Manager (thats another story!). :biggrin

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
    WIP: Microsoft Certs
  6. craigie

craigie Terabyte Poster

Pull yourself together man!

OK, when you where at school you had direction and objectives e.g. passing your GCSE's, next you had your objectives to get a Diploma, again a objective laid out for you.

Now then wham, your in the big bad world with no one leading or guiding you. You wouldn't get in your car and drive to Scotland without having a plan, then why would you do this with your career?

Have a long hard think about what you enjoy and what you want to get into. Then break down your strategy into smaller stepping stones with what you believe you need to achieve both in experience, knowledge and education/qualifications. Once you have that move on if opportunities allow, if they do not then make them happen.

The fun is the journey not the destination, it doesn't matter if you do not find the right career path immediately, if you do nothing you will only have regrets and if you do something your trying, at least you know what you don't enjoy then.

Remember: If it's to be it's upto me!

Certifications: CCA | CCENT | CCNA | CCNA:S | HP APC | HP ASE | ITILv3 | MCP | MCDST | MCITP: EA | MCTS:Vista | MCTS:Exch '07 | MCSA 2003 | MCSA:M 2003 | MCSA 2008 | MCSE | VCP5-DT | VCP4-DCV | VCP5-DCV | VCAP5-DCA | VCAP5-DCD | VMTSP | VTSP 4 | VTSP 5
  7. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

If there were "another way", don't you think we'd be recommending it? Hey, perhaps you'll be the exception to the rule... right? A few people do get lucky. However, most people I have encountered who try "another way" tend to get discouraged and give up.

So... which way would you rather try? The proven way, or "another way"? Choice is yours, mate.

That'll be one dollar, please (see avatar).

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  8. greenbrucelee
    Highly Decorated Member Award

greenbrucelee Zettabyte Poster

Yep I did for 4 years and with my debts I thought was it all worth it, so I went back to basics and now it's happened for me.

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, Security+, 70-270
    WIP: 70-620 or 70-680?
  9. Crito

Crito Banned

Yeah, Bill Gates got two million from his dad to start Microsoft and dropped out of college. That didn't work out too well for him. Same for Steve Jobs and Michael Dell. Donald Trump's dad got him started in the real estate business too. He even went bankrupt once but bankers kept giving him more money. I'm sure they'd do the same for you or I. :rolleyes: Then there's our ex-prez Bush Jr. who succeeded despite having an IQ of room temperature. :p

But hey, maybe you'll be the one little guy that finally grabs that invisible carrot. So keep trying! Work hard for a pittance! And an early grave will be your reward! :ohmy LOL

Certifications: A few
    WIP: none
  10. zebulebu

zebulebu Terabyte Poster

Ah Crit - ever the optimist :)

I make you right though - the number of people who REALLY started from the bottom and turned into multi-millionaires can probably be counted on the fingers of one knee. In fact, the average 'self-made' millionaire's biography seems to go something like this:

16 - Leaves school with an 'O' level in woodwork
    16-19 - Twats about in College doing A levels in Pottery, Underwater Basket-Weaving and/or Art History
    19-30 - Does numerous jobs, usually including something colourful like Hospital Radio DJ or Stablehand or Biscuit Salesman
    30-32 - <Unexplained Gap>
    32 - Millionaire

I'm guessing that <Unexplained Gap> usually involves a massive inheritance, enormous lottery win or violent (but lucrative) felony.

Certifications: A few
    WIP: None - f*** 'em