Exam Tomorrow, just need a little help fast...

Discussion in 'A+' started by OnFire, Mar 22, 2005.

1. OnFire

OnFire Nibble Poster

Ok got both the A+ exams tomorrow, but I am a bit confused on one or two aspects and I'm hoping you can help.

First of all, Parallel ports:

Im using the Sybex guide but in one of the test exams it asked with of the following are bi-directional:

1 Standard
    2 Bidirectional
    3 EPP
    4 ECP

Now I say its 2,3 and 4, which the book confirmed, however there is another similiar question:

What parallel port type allow for the printer and PC to commuticate with one another bi-directionally:

1 Standard
    2 Bidirectional
    3 EPP
    4 ECP

Answer here was given as 2 and just 3. Not ECP??? which I thought was bi directional.

Is the book wrong or am I not understanding.

Also slightly confused on which has the most throughput, I thought it would be EPP but the book suggests ECP.

Please help and SOON.....

Big thanks Ant,

Certifications: See Signature
    WIP: None....at last!!
  2. Jakamoko
    Honorary Member

Jakamoko On the move again ...

Have a look HERE to start with. And good luck with the exam :)

Certifications: MCP, A+, Network+
    WIP: Clarity
  3. nugget
    Honorary Member

nugget Junior toady

You're not wrong and the book isn't wrong either, technically. Confusing?

While ECP is classed as a bi-directional port it only communicates one way at a time, unlike EPP which does both ways at the same time. The questions are somewhat misleading as ECP is best suited to communicating with a printer as it uses DMA channels and buffering to send large amounts of data to the printer at high speed. When a data transfer is initiated the data flow is not monitored, unlike EPP which can monitor and change the direction of the data flow. I hope this makes sense so far.:oops:

Certifications: A+ | Network+ | Security+ | MCP (270,271,272,290,620) | MCDST | MCTS:Vista
    WIP: MCSA, 70-622,680,685
  4. OnFire

OnFire Nibble Poster

Thanks for the link.

Have had a read though however it still doesnt confirm whether ECP is bi or uni directional, or rather it doesnt spell it out for me.

But I'm pretty sure from reading that, that ECP does have the most thoughput.

5. tripwire45
    Honorary Member

tripwire45 Zettabyte Poster

Good luck in the exam tomorrow, OnFire. As these things go, you'll probably never even get a question on this one. But I wouldn't take the chance. :biggrin

Kick butt...take names.

Certifications: A+ and Network+
  6. OnFire

OnFire Nibble Poster

Thanks Nugget, now I'm in the know, still hope this one doesnt come up in the exam :) .