Exam Simulation Practice

Discussion in 'General Microsoft Certifications' started by Qs, Jul 7, 2009.

1. Qs

Qs Semi-Honorary Member Gold Member

Hi All,

Just a quick one; as google and forum searches are proving useless.

Are there any Microsoft specific demos which demonstrate the simulation style of exam questions in their exams?

I know there are third-party companies which emulate this, but I want it to be free. I want to test the waters in preparation for my 70-621 exam on Monday as I've heard the exam can be quite sim-heavy.

Thanks in advance.

Qs

Certifications: MCT, MCSE: Private Cloud, MCSA (2008), MCITP: EA, MCITP: SA, MCSE: 2003, MCSA: 2003, MCITP: EDA7, MCITP: EDST7, MCITP: EST Vista, MCTS: Exh 2010, MCTS:ServerVirt, MCTS: SCCM07 & SCCM2012, MCTS: SCOM07, MCTS: Win7Conf, MCTS: VistaConf, MCDST, MCP, MBCS, HND: Applied IT, ITIL v3: Foundation, CCA
  2. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

Good luck with that! :thumbleft

Best way to practice is to get your hands on a real OS and do the labs found in just about any exam study guide. If you do that, the labs won't be ANY problem, I promise you.

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  3. Qs

I didn't necessarily want relevant material, I just wanted to experience the simulation question-style as all my previous MS experience has been multiple choice.

Already completed all the MS press labs. :p Just trying to be belt-and-bracers due to the additional content of 70-621.

Damn thing has me stressed out... :(

Qs

Certifications: MCT, MCSE: Private Cloud, MCSA (2008), MCITP: EA, MCITP: SA, MCSE: 2003, MCSA: 2003, MCITP: EDA7, MCITP: EDST7, MCITP: EST Vista, MCTS: Exh 2010, MCTS:ServerVirt, MCTS: SCCM07 & SCCM2012, MCTS: SCOM07, MCTS: Win7Conf, MCTS: VistaConf, MCDST, MCP, MBCS, HND: Applied IT, ITIL v3: Foundation, CCA
  4. BosonMichael

Know what it looks like? The OS. If you can use the OS, you can do the sims, so don't stress over it. :)

Even better - or worse, if you're like me in thinking that difficult tests lead to valuable certifications - the simulations "funnel" you to the right answer... almost everything that doesn't work is disabled. At least, that's how they have been in the past.

In truth, I wish they'd run an emulated OS instead of a simulated OS - at least then, everything would be available, and it would be a more accurate indicator of whether you TRULY know what you're doing. But I know how difficult it is to create something like that AND have it grade correctly, so I'm not expecting it anytime soon.

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
  5. Qs

...they what?! Can anyone else confirm this?

Ok, point taken. I'll try to stop stressing :p

Thanks for the info.:hug... (that's a manly hug btw)

Qs

6. BosonMichael

I'm huggin' ya... but I'm hittin' ya! <back pat pat pat>

7. Qs

Ow :p

One final question then I'll shut up.... the sim questions, are they reviewable? I.E. Can you change your answer after the fact as you can do with the standard multiple choice questions, or is it set in stone?

Qs

8. BosonMichael

I'm 95% sure that you can... just reset the simulation... or, just fix it by doing the correct thing asked in the scenario.

There have been some who have hypothesized that Microsoft counts off points by not going the most direct route to answering the simulation. However, I believe that to be a myth, because I have not experienced any noticeable score deductions for "wandering" around the sim. And, trust me, I've *definitely* explored the limitations of the Microsoft simulations while taking their exams - it's my job to find stuff like that out. ;)

9. Qs

Gotcha. Thanks for the info.

...Guess you deserve rep :p:D

Qs