Exam scores

Discussion in 'Training & Development' started by zebulebu, Aug 12, 2009.

?

You got 920+ on your cert exam...

Poll closed Aug 17, 2009.
  1. You got 920+ O Rly? (the cynic)

11 vote(s)
    42.3%
  2. You got 920+ Way to go! (the optimist)

4 vote(s)
    15.4%
  3. You got 920+ hmmmm... (the fence-sitter)

11 vote(s)
    42.3%
  1. zebulebu

zebulebu Terabyte Poster

Seeing some of the, frankly, ridiculous scores posted in the past by people in these forums, what is your reaction when you see a score of above, say, 920 on an exam?

Do you automatically think 'braindump'?
    Do you automatically think 'excellent score, you must have studied hard for that'?
    or do you reserve judgement based on the rest of the member's contributions either in the past or the future?

No prizes for guessing what my answer is...

Certifications: A few
    WIP: None - f*** 'em
  2. JK2447
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

JK2447 Petabyte Poster Administrator Premium Member

I tend to only wonder if a person says they don't work in IT or have only just started. Ah its a tough question to me this Zeb cos some people are just really intelligent. I dunno, I'm torn. I like to stay optimistic that there are more honest people than not, I might be kidding myself I don't know. . .

Certifications: VCP4, 5, 6, 6.5, 6.7, 7, 8, VCAP DCV Design, VMConAWS Skill, Google Cloud Digital Leader, BSc (Hons), HND IT, HND Computing, ITIL-F, MBCS CITP, MCP (270,290,291,293,294,298,299,410,411,412) MCTS (401,620,624,652) MCSA:Security, MCSE: Security, Security+, CPTS, CCA (XenApp6.5), MCSA 2012, VSP, VTSP
    WIP: Google Cloud Certs
  3. Kitkatninja

Kitkatninja aka me, myself & I Moderator

I have to say that I got, I believe 3 exams in the 900's - ok they were the exams for the MCDST and another one, the rest are in the 700 & 800's (ok more along the lines of 700). So it can be done.

However constant high marks, especially on the higher exams and the person doesn't have experience in IT - the fence I sit on, tends to lean more on one side than the other (if you understand what I mean).

Lets face it alot, if not all, of the MCP route questions and some of the MCITP questions (not the MCTS questions as they're really just based on the technology) are based in situations that a person not doing the role won't come across.

But that's just my opinion.

-Ken

Certifications: MSc, PGDip, PGCert, BSc, HNC, LCGI, MBCS CITP, MCP, MCSA, MCSE, MCE, A+, N+, S+, Server+
    WIP: MSc Cyber Security
  4. craigie

craigie Terabyte Poster

I have had scores ranging from 760 (70-294) I think and 1000 (70-620) for the Vista exam, averaging around the 800 mark normally.

The person who sits the exam knows how they have achieved it.

I couldn't give a rats arse if I pass with 700 or 1000, just as long as I pass.

I generally look at other peoples post and take alook at the timeline to pass, I know what I have put into passing exams and the timeline it has taken me.

Based around this I will either decide 'well studied', 'brain dumper' or simply choose not to comment.

Certifications: CCA | CCENT | CCNA | CCNA:S | HP APC | HP ASE | ITILv3 | MCP | MCDST | MCITP: EA | MCTS:Vista | MCTS:Exch '07 | MCSA 2003 | MCSA:M 2003 | MCSA 2008 | MCSE | VCP5-DT | VCP4-DCV | VCP5-DCV | VCAP5-DCA | VCAP5-DCD | VMTSP | VTSP 4 | VTSP 5
  5. kevicho

kevicho Gigabyte Poster

Have to say I agree with all those who hint at suspicion, no one can know everything about a subject and memorise perfectly some of the obscure information some of the tests have asked for, and also some people are prone to mistakes in an exam environment due to nerves or self pressure, but having said all that Id like to give everyone the benefit of the doubt.

Ultimately its about what I do, Most of my scores are in the 800s (for the ones ive passed) but id rather have my own 800 than someone elses 1000, hopefully those tempted to cheat will see the philosophy behind that as your own 800 means you can do the job to a good degree and research the gaps on the fly, whereas someone elses 1000 means a lot more stress in a job you may not have earned the right to do.

Certifications: A+, Net+, MCSA Server 2003, 2008, Windows XP & 7 , ITIL V3 Foundation
    WIP: CCNA Renewal
  6. Qs

Qs Semi-Honorary Member Gold Member

I have similar thoughts to craigie.

I've taken three exams (271, 272 and 621. 621 being a two parter) and scored the following:-

70-271 - 916
    70-272 - 907
    70-621 - 967 on part 1, 970 on part 2

Now obviously they're quite high marks, but that's purely down to the ridiculous amount of notes and studying I did to complete them, tied with my prior experience in desktop support. I have never used braindumps, and never will.

As for the server exams I have coming up, I doubt I'll be getting anywhere near that high. I'm probably revising more for them than the desktop stuff, but I don't have as much experience with their objectives in a work environment.

As with any exam, I'll study my ass off until I get it right and the knowledge sinks in. As long as I pass (irrespective of score) I'll be happy. A lower scoring pass just means I have to focus on my weaker areas.

Therefore, in answer to the question, I don't think you can pidgeonhole purely based on score alone.

Qs

Certifications: MCT, MCSE: Private Cloud, MCSA (2008), MCITP: EA, MCITP: SA, MCSE: 2003, MCSA: 2003, MCITP: EDA7, MCITP: EDST7, MCITP: EST Vista, MCTS: Exh 2010, MCTS:ServerVirt, MCTS: SCCM07 & SCCM2012, MCTS: SCOM07, MCTS: Win7Conf, MCTS: VistaConf, MCDST, MCP, MBCS, HND: Applied IT, ITIL v3: Foundation, CCA
  7. zebulebu

zebulebu Terabyte Poster

**** - I've never got anywhere near 1000 for an exam. Dirty braindumper! :biggrin

In all seriousness, it was a bit of a tongue-in-cheek poll - but interesting to see that most people put: 'I'll reserve judgement' as their answer. Maybe I'm just too much of a cynical old git :)

I think my best score on an MS exam was 910 or thereabouts on one of my MCSE 2K electives (AD Design). I've got in the high 800s quite a few times - and the lowest passing score I ever had was 780-odd for The Beast. Of course, back in my day, they didn't give you passing scores for most exams so you had no real idea about how well (or badly) you'd done - just a PASS or FAIL.

8. Arroryn

Arroryn we're all dooooooomed Moderator

In my eyes, I'm afraid you're guilty until you prove yourself innocent.

Knowing Craigie, Qs, Ken, other posting CF members that get high scores, I can appreciate their studying behind it.

Of course, they may be dirty braindumpers and good liars (:wink:)

But if someone posts randomly (first post) that they passed exam 'x' with 9xx, then I am a truly 'O Rly' person.

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, 70-410, 70-411
    WIP: Modern Languages BA
  9. dales

dales Terabyte Poster

depends who they are, if they have just popped up as new members on the board then yes maybe I might take it with a pinch of salt, yet they may just be so pleased at passing they just want to shout it out. It all depends on how your exams swing on the day, they may give you a good load of questions on stuff you really revised really well for and a couple of lucky guesses may well propel a taker towards 1000.

If we are going by timelines as well (as craigie mentioned) I could say that craigie is a braindumper with how quickly he turned around all the exams, took me 2 years to do my mcsa (mostly because of having children and a ton of other things to do) but by my yardstick craigie could well fall into BD area.

I just dont really think its fair to label someone a BDer because they got a high score without definative proof (i.e. their post says hey look I got 1000 and I used TK to help me). I got 978 for my 272 and 800's for the others so surely I BDed the 272.
    Not many of us personally know each other apart from the half dozen or so that go to the GTG so randomly discrimiating people based on high scores should not be the done thing.

Certifications: vExpert 2014+2015+2016,VCP-DT,CCE-V, CCE-AD, CCP-AD, CCEE, CCAA XenApp, CCA Netscaler, XenApp 6.5, XenDesktop 5 & Xenserver 6,VCP3+5,VTSP,MCSA MCDST MCP A+ ITIL F
    WIP: Nothing
  10. greenbrucelee
    Highly Decorated Member Award

greenbrucelee Zettabyte Poster

if it is someone who is new to IT then I would definetly think brain dump, but if it someone who is in IT and is studying their arse off then I would believe them. So I will vote cynic as in regards to the poll meaning new members.

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, Security+, 70-270
    WIP: 70-620 or 70-680?
  11. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

I've passed 68 exams of all shapes and sizes and lengths and formats. And out of all those passed exams, I've gotten above a 920 (or scored 92% of the maximum score) only 12 of those times... and I WRITE about this stuff. Most of my scores are in the 700s and 800s... so I know what an intelligent, experienced person who is knowledgeable about technology is likely to score.

Certainly there are people to whom I give the benefit of the doubt. However, for most people who pop online only to brag about their high scores, I hold a large measure of skepticism (which I prefer to call realism).

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  12. craigie

craigie Terabyte Poster

It was Vista and I have to say it was a joke of an exam.

I think Q's got 970 or something on the same one.

Certifications: CCA | CCENT | CCNA | CCNA:S | HP APC | HP ASE | ITILv3 | MCP | MCDST | MCITP: EA | MCTS:Vista | MCTS:Exch '07 | MCSA 2003 | MCSA:M 2003 | MCSA 2008 | MCSE | VCP5-DT | VCP4-DCV | VCP5-DCV | VCAP5-DCA | VCAP5-DCD | VMTSP | VTSP 4 | VTSP 5
  13. zebulebu

zebulebu Terabyte Poster

Ah - makes sense. Its a joke of an OS too :biggrin

14. Qs

I did 621 (620 + 622 content, the exam is split in half), you did 620.

For the 620 part of the exam I got 967.

I honestly thought that the 622 content was more difficult than the 620 stuff though, it required much more thought.

Qs

Certifications: MCT, MCSE: Private Cloud, MCSA (2008), MCITP: EA, MCITP: SA, MCSE: 2003, MCSA: 2003, MCITP: EDA7, MCITP: EDST7, MCITP: EST Vista, MCTS: Exh 2010, MCTS:ServerVirt, MCTS: SCCM07 & SCCM2012, MCTS: SCOM07, MCTS: Win7Conf, MCTS: VistaConf, MCDST, MCP, MBCS, HND: Applied IT, ITIL v3: Foundation, CCA
  15. soundian

soundian Gigabyte Poster

I must be suspicious, I've scored over 92% (of the maximum) in all four exams so far.
    But then again, it has taken me around 7 months of study to get to that stage.
    So, unless there are signs which point to braindumping elsewhere in their posts, I assume they've worked hard.

Certifications: A+, N+,MCDST,MCTS(680), MCP(270, 271, 272), ITILv3F, CCENT
    WIP: Knuckling down at my new job
  16. craigie

craigie Terabyte Poster

I have been using Windows 7 at work it blows chunks all over Vista.

17. Theprof

Theprof Petabyte Poster

I don't think I ever scored 900+ the closest I ever got was 880 on the 70-270 exam.. but I did not study much and passed because of experience.... I only started doing the certifications a year into my work, except the A+ which I did while in school.

Certifications: A+ | CCA | CCAA | Network+ | MCDST | MCSA | MCP (270, 271, 272, 290, 291) | MCTS (70-662, 70-663) | MCITP:EMA | VCA-DCV/Cloud/WM | VTSP | VCP5-DT | VCP5-DCV
    WIP: VCAP5-DCA/DCD | EMCCA
  18. zebulebu

zebulebu Terabyte Poster

Amen. More stable, more responsive, faster, less of a resource hog, network performance easily eclipses Vista... What's not to love!

19. JK2447

JK2447 Petabyte Poster Administrator Premium Member

And its even priced cheap IMO. Love that opening a folder doesn't take a month for no reason too :D

Certifications: VCP4, 5, 6, 6.5, 6.7, 7, 8, VCAP DCV Design, VMConAWS Skill, Google Cloud Digital Leader, BSc (Hons), HND IT, HND Computing, ITIL-F, MBCS CITP, MCP (270,290,291,293,294,298,299,410,411,412) MCTS (401,620,624,652) MCSA:Security, MCSE: Security, Security+, CPTS, CCA (XenApp6.5), MCSA 2012, VSP, VTSP
    WIP: Google Cloud Certs
  20. Qs

No bundled I.E!

*...waits for the love* :p:p:p

Qs