1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Exam Path?

Discussion in 'Training & Development' started by Angry Dog, Oct 13, 2009.

1. Angry Dog

Angry Dog Nibble Poster

I guess the logical steps would be;

A+, N+, MCDST, and then;

70-270 / 70-620 / 70-680?

I know I ask alot of questions, I'm just looking at getting some kind of practical "path", with the skills and experience that I have, so that I have set goals, something to aim for etc!

Thanks for your patience!

Certifications: IT NVQ level 2/3
    WIP: MCDST, A+, N+
  2. Josiahb

Josiahb Gigabyte Poster

A+ N+ MCDST definitely, from there on in I think there is a greater degree of flexibility depending on what your working with/towards. I could be wrong though :P

Certifications: A+, Network+, MCDST, ACA – Mac Integration 10.10
  3. Angry Dog

Angry Dog Nibble Poster

Im sticking with what I know for now - Help Desk Technician.

I have 11 years experience in that role, so I'm playing to my strengths..

4. BosonMichael
    Highly Decorated Member Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

Yep... A+, Network+, MCDST... perhaps pursue the MCITP: DST... then wait to go any farther until you start touching servers.

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  5. Angry Dog

Angry Dog Nibble Poster

So you dont suggest I do the 70-270 or 70-680 then Michael?

Thanks for your reply :)

6. BosonMichael

I found the 70-270 to be slightly above the level of 70-620. That said, if you're routinely working with XP machines in a domain environment, the 70-270 would be OK to take.

As I haven't taken 70-680, I can't speak as to whether it's worthwhile to pursue at this point. That said, it's a new exam on a new OS. Companies aren't going to rush right out and install Windows 7, so I'd recommend leaving it on the table for that reason... at least, for the moment.

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
  7. Angry Dog

Angry Dog Nibble Poster

To be fair, it would likely be 1 or 2 years before I get the chance to do the 70-680 based on the other exams I am doing first (which is slow :().

Agreed, many places are going to keep with XP / Vista, which I guess is why you say I should do 70-620?

Thanks!

8. BosonMichael

Then you've got 1 or 2 years to put that decision on the back burner. :thumbleft

Yup. Plus, the 70-620 is a lot more basic than the 70-270 exam, in my opinion. See, 70-270 was the only XP exam when it was released. 70-271 and 70-272 were released later to cover the MCDST (new, at the time). When Vista came out, they released a half-billion exams related to Vista. In doing so, they made 70-620 and 70-622 to be the MCDST "replacement"; as such, there really isn't a true replacement for 70-270.

9. Angry Dog

Angry Dog Nibble Poster

Very true!

Am I correct in my thinking that 70-620 gives 2 certs?

10. BosonMichael

It might be a component of 2 (or more!) certs... but it, by itself, doesn't give 2 certs.

11. Angry Dog

Angry Dog Nibble Poster

Ah right, I just thought I'd read somewhere it did lol..

12. Evilwheato

Evilwheato Kilobyte Poster

The 70-621 gives you two cert's- but only if you have the MCDST (it's the uprgrade exam) :)

I decided to take the A+, N+, MCDST and then the 70-620. I'm now studying for the 70-680. Although this means I'll be going back to an older technology when I start the 70-270 for my MCSA, by that time I'll have a decent amount of server experience (and have my desktop exams covered).