EXAM NEXT TUESDAY

Discussion in 'A+' started by alih786, Jun 24, 2008.

1. alih786

alih786 Nibble Poster

i have a feeling im gonna fail. i dont feel 100% confident like i was with the essentials. i have been revising but for some reason i keep forgetting everything, especially seucirty and networks.

Certifications: BTEC First Diploma - Cisco IT Essentials
  2. GiddyG

GiddyG Terabyte Poster Gold Member

It can feel like that.

Have you got notes that you have written, that you can review rather than going through whole sections and chapters again? Stuff like IRQs, CPUs, etc can be written onto flash cards so that you can check them and give yourself a quick test.

Try to relax (difficult I know, from personal experience). Don't try to do too much in a day either... often, trying to take too much in can both give you a panic attack and can also stop you from actually learning anything. On another note, if you feel tired when you're revising... stop. If you're tired, then you won;t take it in either.

3. greenbrucelee
    Highly Decorated Member Award

greenbrucelee Zettabyte Poster

maybe get the books that people have been suggesting that are more thorough than the ones you have.

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, Security+, 70-270
    WIP: 70-620 or 70-680?
  4. alih786

alih786 Nibble Poster

yes bruce i know which book your talking about. the AIO. ive said it loads of times and ill say it again, the book has alot of things which you DONT NEED for the a+ exam and isnt much useful like other a+ books. the AIO has more information about the personal life of mike myeres using/experiencing his computers rather than the real information that is needed for the exam. proprofs is way better than his AIO book. and besides, i did read chapters based on CPU's - they were completelty different from the book and online materials ive been reading from.

do you really need to to know the names of ALL CPU'S?? e.g. Pentium 4 and its speed, celeron and its speed etc.... if that is the case - thats gonna be a big damn headche.
    ive also read one of your other posts from other threads and your right. the questions will be completely different from anyone elses. i herd questions change every year or so.

5. greenbrucelee

How do you know what the AIO book has in it if you only read chapter 1.

What is in the book that you do not need to know?

You need to know the socket types thats for sure. Just like all the IRQs etc.

Its not that the questions change every year, you could be sitting next to someone in the exam who has completly different questions to you.

6. alih786

alih786 Nibble Poster

many people say the a+ exam is much more easier than the essentials. what do you mean by the socket types by the way???

7. greenbrucelee

the 602 is easier imo that the essentials exam

By socket types I mean that a core 2 duo goes in an LGA775 socket and a celeron D goes in socket 478 for example

8. alih786

alih786 Nibble Poster

my training provider says we dont need to know them for the exam.

9. hbroomhall

hbroomhall Petabyte Poster Gold Member

I needed to know some of them for my exam.

Harry.

Certifications: ECDL A+ Network+ i-Net+
    WIP: Server+
  10. nXPLOSi

nXPLOSi Terabyte Poster

I agree the 602 was easier then the 601, but if your not confident then just cram on the bits your forgetting. Write notes, read them, tear them up and write them again. They will sink into your head eventually.

:)

Certifications: A+, Network+, Security+, MCSA 2003 (270, 290, 291), MCTS (640, 642), MCSA 2008
    WIP: MCSA 2012
  11. greenbrucelee

I was asked about AMD socket types in mine

12. alih786

alih786 Nibble Poster

where can i get all this sockets, cpu info from? any other online websites apart from the AIO(mike myres all in one)?

13. greenbrucelee

If its not in the books you have then get the AIO. There's also this thing called the internet and google :D

Like I said before you may not get any socket questions but its better to study all the objectives and understand all the concepts instead of just some of it and hoping for the best.

14. alih786

alih786 Nibble Poster

i had a ict test today (key skills application of number) and i failed, if i got 6 more questions right i would of passed. i also failed my driving test 1st time. for the first ive never since now. i will pass that damn exam, and i will be a+ certified:mad. and starting from today its hours of not hell, but damn hard comprehensive self paced study. i wont just be ready for that exam, ill be 100% confident like the essentials.

15. GiddyG

GiddyG Terabyte Poster Gold Member

The reason we suggest thE Meyers AIO book is because a lot of us have used it, and it has helped us to pass our A+ exams.

Meyers may include bits about his life in the book but, to my mind, that makes it more of a friendly read. I find that I learn more because of it.

You must also remember that not everything in the book (any book for that matter) will be in the exam; however, it is provided to help develop your skills and experience in IT.

16. metrock 66

metrock 66 Byte Poster

I to am studying for the a+ and i find the aio book along with trips streetsmart tech book really informative and i have know IT experience whatsoever and i understand without experience it will not get me a first line helpdesk job, but i find it really interesting to understand something i take for granted... I.E my pc..:D

Certifications: None
    WIP: Just started A+
  17. greenbrucelee

I would still like to know, what parts of the Mike Meyers book you dont need for the A+ exams?

Because I have done both exams and every chapter of the book had something relevant to the exams that I took.

18. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

Having to pay for an AIO book is a lot cheaper than having to pay for an exam retake.

So let's assume, for the sake of argument, that there is stuff in the book that isn't in the exam. So what? It's there to make you a better tech. Studying for the A+ is *so* much more than studying to pass an exam... it's to make you a more knowledgeable tech. Knowing those processors - even if it's only to become slightly familiar with them - is to your advantage.

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  19. metrock 66

metrock 66 Byte Poster

Could not agree more....

Certifications: None
    WIP: Just started A+
  20. kevicho

kevicho Gigabyte Poster

Sorry had to laugh when I read this.

I can just imagine someone starting a big motivational speech (ala braveheart) speaking boldly and louder "STARTING FROM TODAY" and then getting to the bit in ""s, pausing and saying meekly "self paced", study.

Certifications: A+, Net+, MCSA Server 2003, 2008, Windows XP & 7 , ITIL V3 Foundation
    WIP: CCNA Renewal