1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Exam help

Discussion in 'Windows Vista / 7 / 8 Client Exams' started by Beerbaron, Sep 13, 2010.

1. Beerbaron

Beerbaron Megabyte Poster

I am coming to the end of my MSc computer forensics course and finding a job in that industry is near impossible atm. I have decided for the time being to go back in to support but even that's still competitive so i really need some MCPs on my cv. Prometric have an offer on exams so ideally looking to start with 4. I am not too familiar with MS exams so looking for some advice. The first 3 i believe i should start with are below but not sure of the fourth. Any help would be appreciated.

MCDST
    70-271 Supporting Users and Troubleshooting a Windows XP Operating System
    70-272 Supporting Users and Troubleshooting Desktop Applications on a Windows XP Operating System

70-682 Upgrading to Windows 7 MCITP Enterprise Desktop Support Technician

Thanks.

Certifications: BSc (Hons), MSc, ITIL v3F, MCP, MCDST, MCITP: edst7, MCTS, MCSA: Server 2003, MCSA: Windows 7, N+, NVQ IT lvl 3, MCSA Windows 7, VCP5, CCENT, CEH
    WIP: CISSP
  2. greenbrucelee
    Highly Decorated Member Award

greenbrucelee Zettabyte Poster

70-680 MCTS windows 7
    70-270 install and configuring XP

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, Security+, 70-270
    WIP: 70-620 or 70-680?
  3. Beerbaron

Is it recommended to do them in order or does it not matter;

70-270 install and configuring XP
    70-271 Supporting Users and Troubleshooting a Windows XP Operating System
    70-272 Supporting Users and Troubleshooting Desktop Applications on a Windows XP Operating System

Certifications: BSc (Hons), MSc, ITIL v3F, MCP, MCDST, MCITP: edst7, MCTS, MCSA: Server 2003, MCSA: Windows 7, N+, NVQ IT lvl 3, MCSA Windows 7, VCP5, CCENT, CEH
  4. greenbrucelee

greenbrucelee Zettabyte Poster

You can do them in any order you want but the MCDST 70-271 & 70-272 are entry level so these should be done first before the 70-270 in my opinion. Usually it is recommended that you should have a bit of experience for the 70-270 but I think after gaining the the MCDST you should be okay to do it.

Just to add the MCDST 70-271 & 272 are being retired March 31st so you need to pass them both before then.

Last edited: Sep 13, 2010
    Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, Security+, 70-270
    WIP: 70-620 or 70-680?
  5. Beerbaron

I have covered some of the 70-270 in an NVQ course previously. I am looking to do my first exam at the end of the week if possible as i have a fair amount of experience supporting XP. I have the text books to go through as well.

Thanks

6. Beerbaron

I passed the 70-271 today with 983 :biggrin

7. BosonMichael

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

Congrats!

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  8. Beerbaron

Thanks. I have just booked the 70-272 exam.

Which exam is easiest, 271 or 272?

9. SimonD

SimonD Terabyte Poster Moderator

That's a hard question to answer because it really does depend on the individual, what one person finds hard, another can breeze.

Certifications: CNA | CNE | CCNA | MCP | MCP+I | MCSE NT4 | MCSA 2003 | Security+ | MCSA:S 2003 | MCSE:S 2003 | MCTS:SCCM 2007 | MCTS:Win 7 | MCITP:EDA7 | MCITP:SA | MCITP:EA | MCTS:Hyper-V | VCP 4 | ITIL v3 Foundation | VCP 5 DCV | VCP 5 Cloud | VCP6 NV | VCP6 DCV | VCAP 5.5 DCA
    WIP: VCP6-CMA, VCAP-DCD and Linux + (and possibly VCIX-NV).
  10. Beerbaron

Thought I better comment on this. I think I underestimated the exam/course content some what. I initially thought maybe I could walk in and pass the exam without doing much work :oops: Experience is one thing but there are things you still learn and especially how MS want you to do things. I had read through all the course material and covered some practice exams in the end so was well prepared. I crammed a lot in, in a short period of time. I have given myself more time to revise for the 70-272 this time :)

11. BosonMichael

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

Eh? :blink You passed with a 983... 283 points over the pass mark. Doesn't sound like you underprepared at all... in fact, one could argue that you overprepared. :biggrin

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  12. Josiahb

Josiahb Gigabyte Poster

This.

underprepared? I must not have bothered at all then, I only got 866 :p

Certifications: A+, Network+, MCDST, ACA – Mac Integration 10.10
  13. Beerbaron

I booked the exam before i had even looked at the test material. I had 10 days to prepare for the exam. I then studied every day up until the exam.

14. Beerbaron

I finally sat my 70-272 exam today and passed. 1000/1000, never thought i would ever get that :D