Exam fees

Discussion in 'General Microsoft Certifications' started by Shepherdess, Aug 2, 2007.

1. Shepherdess

Shepherdess Bit Poster

Are exam fees the same all over the UK or do they depend on where you actually take the exam. I went to one London college and it was £95. Do you think I can take the exam cheaper somewhere else?

WIP: MCSE, MCTS
  2. Kitkatninja
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Kitkatninja aka me, myself & I Moderator

The prices for the exam are set by the exam vendor (eg MS, Comptia, Cisco, etc). You can get them cheaper at certain places like Offical Comptia training centre's/MS Training Centres (which any company/college can apply for, like your local college), however for the cheaper exam vouchers, you need to actually do the course with them.

Plus side: Vouchers are around 50% cheaper (approx) :biggrin
    Down side: You have to pay for the course with them :(

-Ken

Certifications: MSc, PGDip, PGCert, BSc, HNC, LCGI, MBCS CITP, MCP, MCSA, MCSE, MCE, A+, N+, S+, Server+
    WIP: MSc Cyber Security
  3. Shepherdess

Shepherdess Bit Poster

in other words, I have to pay at least £1000 to get £50 off. Clever! :D

At least I have a voucher from the book for 15% discount...

WIP: MCSE, MCTS
  4. dmarsh
    Honorary Member 500 Likes Award

dmarsh Petabyte Poster

Some tech college evening courses are only £500, this might be a good bet for people who don't know alot about IT. It will also allow them to network with other like minded individuals. They will then usually get you a discount on certain exams.

So this is an option for thoose lucky enough to have good local colleges, otherwise yep self study all the way, and yes it is cheaper. :biggrin

I agree that you will not really benefit from the more advanced certs until you have 1-2 years experience, unfortunately the bundling and sales practicies
    of the training providers encourages people to take on a large amount of training in one go in order to get the 'best value'.

Training in IT is indeed a continual process, the moment it stops you risk your skills being outdated.
    You can probably get away with less training in alot of other professions, except maybe medicine or possibly law or research based careers.