Exam Cram (Pearson) book worth getting?

Discussion in 'A+' started by shocksl, May 28, 2012.

1. shocksl

shocksl Byte Poster

Anybody think it's worth getting? Ive already bought the Certification All-in-One Exam Guide, Seventh Edition (Exams 220-701 & 220-702) book.

And watching the prof messer vids with it.

Whats your opinions?

2. Boffy

Boffy Megabyte Poster

It may be a good book, but you're essentially going to read/view the content for a third time. If you feel weak on the subject then perhaps consider it, but I think you are just procrastanating.

I've just taken my A+ 1-2months again, passed both exams with 89%-90% mark from the Mike Meyers and Professor Messer videos.

Certifications: BSc Computer Game Technology, A+
    WIP: MOS 2010
  3. shocksl

shocksl Byte Poster

thanks boffy,

I want to try to get it done ASAP.

for those have done it short space of time spending about 3 hours a day 5 days a week. Whats the average time taken to complete it?

4. The Zig

The Zig Kilobyte Poster

In my opinion, a fairly successful way of doing it is:-

- Read your A+ book / watch the Messer videos once.
    - Take some practise exams as soon as you finish - the ones that come with the Meyers book (or there are some more resources linked here)
    - Gasp in horror and get massively demoralised by your really bad score.
    - Read the book /watch the video again, now with an eye for the kind of details exams pick out.
    - Book your exam.
    - Do practise questions from every good resource you can find (the links in the forum are good and if you're still struggling, this is where you'll use the Exam Cram book)
    - Pass the test.
    - Practise more.
    - Pass the second test.
    - Get a job in IT and develop experience and real-world skills, and get further certifications around the work you do.

Last edited: May 30, 2012
    Certifications: A+; Network+; Security+, CTT+; MCDST; 4 x MTA (Networking, OS, Security & Server); MCITP - Enterprise Desktop Support; MCITP - Enterprise Desktop Administrator; MCITP - Server Administrator; MCSA - Server 2008; MCT; IOSH; CCENT
    WIP: CCNA; Server 2012; LPIC; JNCIA?
    shocksl likes this.
  5. shadowwebs

shadowwebs Megabyte Poster

I have to agree with Zig on this one as it is pretty much the way that I did my exam studies... I went to college to study the A+ which was a big waste of cash, through this forum I heard of Professor Messer so I went on to his site, watched the videos and started making notes, took a mock test and got 67% which was around 8% off the pass rate, I then read the GTS books I had, followed by recapping on the Professor Messer videos and reading my study notes that I had made, I was then hitting 84% on average on the mock test, and I booked the real test and passed first time, same again for the 2nd exam and passed first time.

Good luck.

Certifications: compTIA A+, Apple Certified Technical Coordinator 10.10 (OS X Yosemite, Server and Support)
    shocksl likes this.
  6. shocksl

shocksl Byte Poster

thanks again Zigg Great advice as usual, that has really helped me do my planning.

and thanks for the insight shaddowebb of your experience that really does help and i apreciate it!! how long did it take you to revise for each exam at the end then?

So how much notes do you reommend I should take on each topic? detailed or just summary like a A4 page?

lastly wouldnt it be a better idea to watch the Professor messer and read the relevant chapter in the book hand in hand, rather than once i complete the whole book and then watch the videos?

7. shadowwebs

I found watching the videos first away from the books was the thing that worked for me, but everyone learns in a different way so give a few options a try and see which way sinks in best for you.

The amount of notes I made was all in Windows Notepad application, and on some objectives was only a couple of lines, in others it was a lot of lines of text, all dependant on how much I already knew as there was no point in me making notes on something I was already clued up on.

Certifications: compTIA A+, Apple Certified Technical Coordinator 10.10 (OS X Yosemite, Server and Support)
    shocksl likes this.
  8. shocksl

shocksl Byte Poster

thanks for that, how long did it take for you to prepare for each exam then?

9. shadowwebs

for the first exam it took around 2 months to prepare which included studying, mock tests and then taking the actual exam... the second exam i was able to prepare in 1 month.

shocksl likes this.
  10. shocksl

shocksl Byte Poster

thank you for your speedy response mate.

So how much hours was you putting in each day/week?

lastly have you applied for jobs yet, or what are you doing?

11. shadowwebs

already working in IT for a number of years, I got in through my knowledge and then now I feel that I need to back that up with certifications, I was putting in maybe 1 hour a day after work each evening and then on the weekends around 3 hours a day.

12. The Zig

The Zig Kilobyte Poster

Just as a side note, don't leave too long between the exams. The materials so inter-connected that learning the 701 is learning the 702. Don't leave long enough that you start to forget, or take a break in the middle. Treat them as one.

The 701 is a check-in place and rest stop about 2/3rds up the A+ mountain. Push straight on for the summit.

Edit: As a guide, for someone taking it first time as a way into IT work, I would say anything from a week to a month is a reasonable gap, depending on (a) how you score in the 701, (b) your confidence and how easy/hard going you're finding it and (c) the amount of time you can dedicate to it.
    I certainly wouldn't go OVER the month. You'll forget more than you learn.

Last edited: Jun 1, 2012
    Certifications: A+; Network+; Security+, CTT+; MCDST; 4 x MTA (Networking, OS, Security & Server); MCITP - Enterprise Desktop Support; MCITP - Enterprise Desktop Administrator; MCITP - Server Administrator; MCSA - Server 2008; MCT; IOSH; CCENT
    WIP: CCNA; Server 2012; LPIC; JNCIA?
    shocksl likes this.
  13. shocksl

shocksl Byte Poster

thank you soo much mate!

as to reading the meyers book. Shall i bother reading the historical section at the start of each chapter? or shall i just skip to the essentials etc?

thanks