Exam centre question

Discussion in 'Training & Development' started by supernova, May 16, 2009.

1. supernova

supernova Gigabyte Poster

when i have had exams in the past (comptia) i have only ever been the only person there.

I know this time a colleague is also sitting an exam at the same time Java , whilst i am MS.

I wonder if centers normally place people in the same room or separate them ie different set-ups ?

the reason i ask is that i really don't want him to know too much about what i am doing.

Certifications: Loads
    WIP: Lots
  2. Kitkatninja
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Kitkatninja aka me, myself & I Moderator

It's depends on the testing centre and the who you guys are taking the exam thru. Some centres will merge both Vue & Prometric into one room, others won't. Some testing centres will have dividers inbetween PC's, some don't. Normally, depending on number of people taking the exam at the same time, the testing centre is leave 1 or more empty PC's between exam candidates.

If you two will be sitting the exam around the same time, I would say to arrive earlier than your co-work and just ask the test centre to "hide" or file your paper work before your co-worker signs in, as on some paperwork it will state the exam that you're taking. And ask them not to tell/say what exam your taking due to personal reasons.

-Ken

Certifications: MSc, PGDip, PGCert, BSc, HNC, LCGI, MBCS CITP, MCP, MCSA, MCSE, MCE, A+, N+, S+, Server+
    WIP: MSc Cyber Security
  3. dmarsh
    Honorary Member 500 Likes Award

dmarsh Petabyte Poster

Got me dead curious now....all the secrecy... are you james bond ? :blink

4. supernova

supernova Gigabyte Poster

Because it would be a dead give away that i am planing to leave because my job is currently non-IT related. But with the current job market i don't want them to know that just incase. If colleagues that work above me know this is could have an effect on opportunities that could arise if i find that i have to stay a little longer ie who's going to invest in someone knowing that they could be leaving soon.

Certifications: Loads
    WIP: Lots
  5. soundian

soundian Gigabyte Poster

If I was in that position, I'd reschedule my exam. If no-one knows you're there, they can't ask you why.

Certifications: A+, N+,MCDST,MCTS(680), MCP(270, 271, 272), ITILv3F, CCENT
    WIP: Knuckling down at my new job
  6. DaveyB1981

DaveyB1981 Byte Poster

Every time i have sat an exam, there has been somebody else in there doing a different exam. For example when i sat my 271 recently, there was a lad doing Network+.

I am actually in the process of booking 270 along with a colleague, so that could be weird!

I understand the need for secrecy in this case. Unless you can explain the exam away, what about rebooking for a different time/day?

Dave

Certifications: CISMP, ITIL Fdn, MCDST
    WIP: the day job...
  7. dmarsh
    Honorary Member 500 Likes Award

dmarsh Petabyte Poster

Nobody generally looks at your screen. The problem is that theres a sign-in sheet that everyone can see, plus if they see you they might ask about it either on the day or later if you cross paths.

Some exam centres have different suites for prometric and pearsonvue. Which might help a little, I wouldn't bank on it though.

Personally I'd probably reschedule if I was that concerned, make sure your exams after his, even if its still on the same day. Oh and don't talk about this on the internet !

If they are taking Java exams, does that mean they are leaving too :wink: