Ex-military skills?

Discussion in 'Employment & Jobs' started by AndyH, Jul 11, 2013.

1. AndyH

AndyH New Member

Hey everyone, just looking for any advice on how military CIS skills can help outside the army? I'd ideally like to follow a career in networking, but I'll start where I have to. This is primarily aimed at ex-soldiers, but if anyone else has anything to offer I'm all ears, or eyes I guess!

I've been in the Infantry 10.5 years, 8.5 of those in signals. Plenty of experience using Bowman/DII etc. Qualified up to RSAS (SNCO), and App Spec (served a 2 year posting as an app spec in Bde HQ). IT has been something of a passion of mine for the last 17-18 years and I've always pursued various subjects in my own time. I also have an A-level in computing for whatever that's worth, over a decade old though so, erm....Right.

If anyone can offer any advice or share their own experiences, I'd love to hear!

Cheers,

Andy.

PS. Ask away if any more info could help you to help me!

Last edited: Jul 11, 2013
  2. Chief

Chief Bit Poster

In the US there is a website ( usjobs.gov ) where an American would find loads of jobs that related to previous military experience. I imagine the UK would have something like that too, just not sure where to point you. Barring that, you could make a list of every defense contracting company that works in your country and check out the career page on their sites. Don't limit yourself to just Army though, often similar gear is used across military branches.

Certifications: MCSE (2003), MSTS Vista, S+, N+, A+, CCA (Metaframe), MCSE (NT4)
    WIP: MCSA (2008/2012), CCA (XenApp 6.5, XenServer 6), CCNA (Not sure, but probably +Security)