Ever not wore a suit to a job interview?

Discussion in 'Employment & Jobs' started by danielno8, Dec 8, 2011.

1. danielno8

danielno8 Gigabyte Poster

Been approached rather last minute, and have been working in London this week with an interview tomorrow (only confirmed appointment yesterday). I have a grey suit, which i'm not sure if it's to non-business like (whatever that is....i guess it's just i have only ever worn dark coloured suits to interviews so they grey doesn't feel right). Having just got back my other one needs dry cleaned. I could nip out and pick one up tomorrow....or wear the grey one......or wear trousers shirt tie and a smart jumper (like i wear in the office).....

Thoughts?

Certifications: CCENT, CCNA
    WIP: CCNP
  2. Toasty

Toasty Byte Poster

Cheap jacket from Tesco or Asda to got with trousers shirt and tie. Last interview I had my suit had got a big small since the last time I wore it, went to Tesco and got new one for £25.00

Certifications: A+, Network+, MCDST, MCSA
    WIP: MCSE, CCNA
  3. Sparky
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Sparky Zettabyte Poster Moderator

Nowt wrong with the grey suit mate. :)

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
    WIP: Microsoft Certs
  4. danielno8

Thanks guys, reckon I'll just go with the suit!

5. onoski

onoski Terabyte Poster

Grey suit is fine as long as you don't wear one of those geeky types of tie to go with it. Polish your shoes, smart and neutral and you're good to go. Best of wishes and lets know how you get on:)

Certifications: MCSE: 2003, MCSA: 2003 Messaging, MCP, HNC BIT, ITIL Fdn V3, SDI Fdn, VCP 4 & VCP 5
    WIP: MCTS:70-236, PowerShell
  6. Qs

Qs Semi-Honorary Member Gold Member

Always always always wear a suit for an interview.

Certifications: MCT, MCSE: Private Cloud, MCSA (2008), MCITP: EA, MCITP: SA, MCSE: 2003, MCSA: 2003, MCITP: EDA7, MCITP: EDST7, MCITP: EST Vista, MCTS: Exh 2010, MCTS:ServerVirt, MCTS: SCCM07 & SCCM2012, MCTS: SCOM07, MCTS: Win7Conf, MCTS: VistaConf, MCDST, MCP, MBCS, HND: Applied IT, ITIL v3: Foundation, CCA
  7. Boffy

Boffy Megabyte Poster

I wear a grey suit to my interviews, always standing out from the crowd but still looking smart 8)

Good luck!

Certifications: BSc Computer Game Technology, A+
    WIP: MOS 2010
  8. JonnyMX

JonnyMX Petabyte Poster

I'd usually wear a suit to an interview.
    Unless it was very cold in which case I'd swap the jacket for a jumper and coat.
    I have gone to an interview before without a suit, but that was only because I knew the company and they weren't suit people. Helps to fit in.

Certifications: MCT, MCTS, i-Net+, CIW CI, Prince2, MSP, MCSD
  9. Boffy

Boffy Megabyte Poster

I forgot to say, the best time was when I got to an interview for a gaming related company, was in a nice black suit (I was fresh from school).

It was 23 degrees, I was sweating my arse off and the guy who interviewed me was in shorts and sandals.

They appreciated the effort and after I got the job I dropped to smart/casual dress very swiftly 8)

Certifications: BSc Computer Game Technology, A+
    WIP: MOS 2010
  10. Kitkatninja

Kitkatninja aka me, myself & I Moderator

I've never worn a full suit to an interview; a shirt (either long or short sleeve), tie and a pair of black shoes is my norm.

7 odd years ago, when I went for a senior tech's post, I went in my then current work uniform (blue polo shirt that was embroidered with the organisations emblem and the words IT Services and a pair of blue trousers) and got the job. Granted, I did explain that I couldn't get the time off for the interview and that I had to go straight back afterwards. BTW, I did get that job :)

Certifications: MSc, PGDip, PGCert, BSc, HNC, LCGI, MBCS CITP, MCP, MCSA, MCSE, MCE, A+, N+, S+, Server+
    WIP: MSc Cyber Security
  11. westernkings

westernkings Gigabyte Poster

I'm the same as Wag. I usually only wear shoes, shirt and tie but without the jacket to avoid the possibility of the hiring manager thinking "Who does he think he is?".

Certifications: MCITP:VA, MCITP:EA, MCDST, MCTS, MCITP:EST7, MCITP:SA, PRINCE2, ITILv3
  12. JonnyMX

JonnyMX Petabyte Poster

Can I suggest trousers?

I may have spotted the reason for your lack of upward mobility...
    It's not always about the CV.

:biggrin

Arroryn, Sparky and danielno8 like this.
  13. JonnyMX

JonnyMX Petabyte Poster

* Or possibly the reason for your unbridaled success, as appropriate.

14. danielno8

Thanks for all the comments folks.

I'm going with the grey suit, but it's good to know not everyone feels the need to wear a suit. I hadn't really considered it much until now, but now i have thought about it i really don't see the need in wearing anything different than what you would wear into the office should you get the job.

15. Sparky

Sparky Zettabyte Poster Moderator

Eh? No chance mate – what kinda jobs are you applying for that you think wearing a suit jacket would be a problem?

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
    WIP: Microsoft Certs
    Boffy likes this.
  16. danielno8

Interview went ok, could have went worse, could have went better (always think of better ways to answer questions after haha).

Find out in a week or so.

17. Phoenix
    Honorary Member

Phoenix 53656e696f7220 4d6f64

not put a suit on for an interview (1st or not) since I emigrated, in fact wearing a suit to some clients around here is FROWNED upon! how awesome is that? :)

Certifications: MCSE, MCITP, VCP
    WIP: > 0
  18. danielno8

Oh, one thing about the interview - we got onto the use of BGP and why HP kit cant do it, and the interviewer claimed BGP was Cisco proprietary! I resisted straight up saying that is wrong, ad chose to say I have configured it on our juniper SRX routers (thereby covering one of the 'preferred' items on the skills list).