Event viewer issue

Discussion in 'Software' started by greenbrucelee, Jan 20, 2009.

1. greenbrucelee
    Highly Decorated Member Award

greenbrucelee Zettabyte Poster

I had a BSOD when I double clicked to open my browser, I double clicked just as the PC had booted and my AV was still loading.

I never bothered to note down the error message as I thought I'll just get it from event viewer.

However event viewer has no record of this happening.

Any ideas where I can getthe info? or is this one of those red herring jobbies that'll never happen again?

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, Security+, 70-270
    WIP: 70-620 or 70-680?
  2. zebulebu

zebulebu Terabyte Poster

Look for a minidump file then run it through the windows debug viewer. Run a search for all files with a '.dmp' extension - minidumps are usually 88Kb in size, then can be loaded up in WinDbg and analysed - usually giving you the info on what was the likely culprit. Get WinDbg here and make sure you also download the symbols that pertain to your OS (32 bit or 64 bit). Be warned - the full symbols package is about 200-odd mb!

Certifications: A few
    WIP: None - f*** 'em
  3. greenbrucelee

Cheers I'll try that.

I am trying the dubug viewer but I am getting a ****ty connection at the moment so it may take a while.

4. zebulebu

zebulebu Terabyte Poster

Aye - the debugging tools themselves aren't that big (about 18 mb from memory) but the windows symbols are huuuuge

5. greenbrucelee

I am only getting 14kiliobytes per second on the MS site, I'll try again tomorrow.

6. greenbrucelee

I finally got it downloaded with the symbols, apparently it was a memory reference issue.

But I have rean memtest86 and it has brought up no errorsc:blink

7. zebulebu

zebulebu Terabyte Poster

Have you tried loading up the dump in WinDbg then using the 'analyze -v' link? This runs the debugger ina more verbose mode and usually shows more useful info - often pointing you directly to the culprit. Have you been sodding around with your graphics card drivers? nine times out of ten its this that leads to BSODs on 'home' PCs that I end up looking at for friends and family (pretty much the only place I see BSODs these days, thankfully!)

Windbg is an awesome tool - I used it to track down a bug that had been plaguing our workstations in our Scottish office last year - turned out to be the NICE screen recording software they had installed - armed with this information it was much easier for me to (ahem) 'persuade' NICE to take notice of the problem - and resolve it.