Evening fellow tech guys & gals !!

Discussion in 'New Members Introduction' started by shadybrady, Nov 13, 2006.

1. shadybrady

shadybrady Bit Poster

Thought I would give a quick hello, hoping to garner advice and help from everyone towards my goal of microsoft qualifications.

Planning on getting MCSE, MCSA and MCDBA in 2K by this time next year.

:blink - that's the plan anyway !!!

Shady !!!

Certifications: BSc. Hons, MCP 70-210
    WIP: CCENT, CCNA, MCTS / MCITP
  2. Bluerinse
    Honorary Member

Bluerinse Exabyte Poster

Hi and welcome to CF.

Quick question, why W2K and not Server 2003?

Pete

Certifications: C&G Electronics - MCSA (W2K) MCSE (W2K)
  3. Raffaz

Raffaz Kebab Lover Gold Member

Welcome mate, thats a tall order ya have there. All that by next year! Good luck :)

Certifications: A+, MCP, MCDST, AutoCAD
    WIP: Rennovating my house
  4. Sparky
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Sparky Zettabyte Poster Moderator

Yup, you WILL be busy! :biggrin

As said, why 2k? :blink

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
    WIP: Microsoft Certs
  5. SimonV
    Honorary Member

SimonV Petabyte Poster Gold Member

Hello and welcome to CF

Certifications: MOS Master 2003, CompTIA A+, MCSA:M, MCSE
    WIP: Keeping CF Alive...
  6. zimbo
    Honorary Member

zimbo Petabyte Poster

Hi and welcome to CF! :biggrin

Like the guys have said you in for one hell of a year! Some will even say its impossible! If you have never used T-SQL then MCDBA will take more than a year itself - while you learn it!

Certifications: B.Sc, MCDST & MCSA
    WIP: M.Sc - Computer Forensics
  7. Rafek

Rafek Kilobyte Poster

Welcome :)

Certifications: A+, Network+
    WIP: IPT/IPCC stuff
  8. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

I'd recommend 2K over 2K3, provided that you upgrade to the 2K3 at some point. After all, you can always upgrade... but you can't downgrade to a previous certification.

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  9. Bluerinse
    Honorary Member

Bluerinse Exabyte Poster

Interesting BBM! I have heard the upgrade exams are extremely hard to pass though from what I have read on other forums. Your thoughts?

10. Mr.Cheeks

Mr.Cheeks 1st ever Gold Member! Gold Member

just like the OS, you can upgrade but cant downgrade... m$ and their ways :blink

11. fortch

fortch Kilobyte Poster

I won't presume to answer for BBM, but I had the same choice when I took my path in 04-05. Most datacenters and businesses either had NT4, or recently upgraded to AD 2000. Plus, 2 upgrade exams gets me in the 2003 club, regardless of their difficulty. Sure, 2003 was out, and some were going that way, but most already were planned out for a 2k migration, and had more confidence in the 'seasoned' OS.

ps -- stupid me - I just realized BBM is TM (ahem...old name), and he's got more freaking acronyms than you can shake a stick at. :biggrin What's up, bro?!?!

Certifications: A+,Net+,Sec+,MCSA:Sec,MCSE:Sec,mASE
  12. Bluerinse
    Honorary Member

Bluerinse Exabyte Poster

That which we call a Rose by any other name would post as sweet :p

13. wizard

wizard Petabyte Poster

Hi there and welcome to CF :D

Certifications: SIA DS Licence
    WIP: A+ 2009
  14. BosonMichael

The upgrade exams are difficult only because you have to study for 290 AND 291 when taking 292, and 293+294 for 296. Otherwise, it's no different than taking them individually.

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
  15. BosonMichael

Hiya! How've you been, man? :) As you can see, I've had a... um... self-imposed change of scenery, so to speak. ;) Main difference is... BrainBeacon is MINE. :biggrin

Yep, I agree, there are still companies out there using Win2K. In fact, I even did some contract work for a company at the beginning of '06 that STILL had two NT4 servers as their domain controllers!!! (yes, we fixed that rather quickly...)

16. BosonMichael

Yep!

And stop calling me Rose! :p

heheheheh

17. shadybrady

shadybrady Bit Poster

Basically its all Win2K at work and the Network Mgr has is planning to skip a windows generation before the next netowrk upgrade.

So by then it will be all the Vista stuff !!!

Also as I have been using 2K for about 5 years I know a lot of it backwards and so it stands me in good stead for the exams.

Well I have been a Database Admin for about 2 and a half years so I have been using T-SQL and writing stored procedures and Crystal Reports for what seems like an age !!

The amount of studying seems a lot but if something's worth doing its worth doing right I say !!!

Cheers for all the hellos from everyone .... my first post has become quite a long topic already ....people do say that I talk a lot !!!! :oops:

Certifications: BSc. Hons, MCP 70-210
    WIP: CCENT, CCNA, MCTS / MCITP
  18. Bluerinse
    Honorary Member

Bluerinse Exabyte Poster

That all makes perfect sense to me now - good luck with your studies mate! 8)