Evaluation MS Operating systems

Discussion in 'Training & Development' started by Boycie, Oct 31, 2005.

1. Boycie
    Honorary Member

Boycie Senior Beer Tester

Hi,

I have seen it mentioned many times that people have got 2003 server evaluation for the purpose if training.

I have looked around MS and google but it appears they don't exactly broadcast it!

Where can i get 2003 server evaluation from? Once i burn it to disc i take it i can use it for 30 days? Can i use the same copy on a fresh install for another 30 days???
    Do you have to be a MCP for this? This would explain why it isn't more obvious...
    Just thinking ahead. After i nail the N+ i'll start the 70-20 :thumbleft

Certifications: MCSA 2003, MCDST, A+, N+, CTT+, MCT
  2. ffreeloader

ffreeloader Terabyte Poster

Go to the Server 2003 page from Microsoft and you'll be able to find an evaluation copy. MS used to let people download their evaluation copies but now I think they make you buy them for like $10 or $15.

And yes, you can reinstall it again, you just have reformat the partition you're using. Otherwise the registry will time out the install immediately on you.

Certifications: MCSE, MCDBA, CCNA, A+
    WIP: LPIC 1
  3. Boycie
    Honorary Member

Cheers Freddie, i got it here

Is there any major difference between small business and server? I mean, my way if thinking if you are familiar with Server then you must know more than there is in Small?! :biggrin

4. ffreeloader

ffreeloader Terabyte Poster

Well, that's an improvement. For a while there I couldn't find anything but the cd's. I still don't like having to register, but that's becoming the norm for all these companies. They all want to flood you with spam afterwards so I use one time email addresses and fake names on everything I register for.

I downloaded a white paper from scriptlogic a couple of years ago and it was loaded with spyware. It would call home every time I opened it, and if I blocked it from reaching the internet it wouldn't open. So, I emailed scriptlogic and complained. I told them I never wanted to see any more email from them again and that I would never use them for anything. I've told them that probably a half dozen times and I still get junk mail from them. Once you are on their list they will keep sending you junk no matter how much you complain.

Certifications: MCSE, MCDBA, CCNA, A+
    WIP: LPIC 1
  5. Boycie
    Honorary Member

Oh, thanks for the tip. As it happens i was thinking about scrapping my pop accounts but they are handy :thumbleft

As for what you have had to put up with, well, that is terrible.

6. simongrahamuk
    Honorary Member

simongrahamuk Hmmmmmmm?

Small Business Server includes cut down versions of Windows Server 2003 and Exchange I think in the standard edtition. In the Premium edition it also includes a cut down version of ISA Server.

There are differences as they are 'cut down' versions.

8)

7. Boycie
    Honorary Member

oh, i see. Thanks for explaining the difference.

8. Bluerinse
    Honorary Member

Bluerinse Exabyte Poster

Boyce for studying purposes you should always use the actual product (Server 2003) rather than SBS. It is not so much that SBS is cut down, I am not even sure if it is cut down, as my SBS seems to have all the same stuff as the full blown version.

There are limitations though with SBS, you can't have more than about 75 connected devices (users, printers etc) and you can't have sub domains and other stuff.

The beauty of SBS is that is breaks all of Microsoft's rules and puts everything on the same box. AD, DC, DNS, WINS, RRAS, IIS Companyweb), TS, Exchange, ISA etc. Though this goes against the best practices for implementing an AD forest, it does make it a good solution for small businesses. SBS is the most popular server product here on The Gold Coast.

But the configuration is too complicated to make a good study box. BTW SBS comes on 5 CDs!

Pete

Certifications: C&G Electronics - MCSA (W2K) MCSE (W2K)
  9. simongrahamuk
    Honorary Member

simongrahamuk Hmmmmmmm?

Just to enhance on what bluerinse said about sbs 2003 I found this on the Microsoft site.

EDIT: Oh crap! I cut and pasted without reading properly! :oops:

10. Boycie
    Honorary Member

5 cd's? The download for server is 700mb :blink

11. nugget
    Honorary Member

nugget Junior toady

Unfortunately Boyce it needs to be registered within 14 days unlike XP's 30 days. The good news for you is that it's good for 180 days unlike Win2k server which was only good for 120 days.

AKAIK you can also use the same copy multiple times.

Certifications: A+ | Network+ | Security+ | MCP (270,271,272,290,620) | MCDST | MCTS:Vista
    WIP: MCSA, 70-622,680,685
  12. Boycie
    Honorary Member

I registered with MS to get 2003 sent "down the wire". I had the e-mail and link which takes my to "my profile" I can't see any download link at all! I contacted MS but await their reply! :oops:

13. Percula

Percula Bit Poster

Hello

I just today received a CD copy of Server 2003 Enterprise Edition SP1. Two CD's 180 day evaluation limit.
    They charge $20 for shipping, but it was here in three days!

Snipped: - To place a new order, visit WinServer 2003 SP1 Evals at http://www.microsoft.com/windowsserversystem/evaluation/trial/default.mspx?Locale=en-us

and

http://www.microsoft.com/windowsserver2003/evaluation/trial/default.mspx

Certifications: None!
  14. Bluerinse
    Honorary Member

Bluerinse Exabyte Poster

Yes Boyce but Server 2003 doesn't come with Exchange, ISA, Outlook etc. That is what is on the additional CDs.

Certifications: C&G Electronics - MCSA (W2K) MCSE (W2K)