Ethical Hacking Course

Discussion in 'Training & Development' started by Smiley, Jan 21, 2009.

1. Smiley

Smiley Bit Poster

Hello everyone,

I've never posted here before (I'm more of a reader), so HI!! to everyone.

Basically I want to do a course in Ethical Hacking, I've pretty much wanted to do something in security since I got into computers. I'm pretty lucky in the fact that I can leave my job and focus completely on this course. I'm 20 and didn't go to University, so I'm trying to make up for it and knuckle down.

I'm looking for an Ethical Hacking course which is 6 months - 1 year (full time preferably).

I'd prefer it to be an "on-site" course although I can deal with distance learning.

I'm currently an IT Technician (3 years) and hold a CCNA, in case that helps anyone.

Thanks in advance! :D

2. mattstevenson

mattstevenson Byte Poster

Why hello there. Nice entrance. The CEH course, I presume, is what you're looking for?

I'm not aware of any courses that last that long, but I am aware that you're very unlikely to get employed at this stage in the game in any role that would make use of such a certification. Have you considered going for the concentrated CCNA: Security? Or the Security+?

Certifications: Triple A+. Network+, CCENT
    WIP: MCP, ICND2, Sec+
  3. danlewis88

danlewis88 Bit Poster

There are a few face paced boot camps for this. It normaly last about 5 days. However the price is expensive around £3500 inc VAT. These courses normaly expect you to have some kind of background knowledge in security.

However as Matt has said, might be better for you to do something like CCNA or such like.

WIP: MCDST, MCSE
  4. Smiley

Smiley Bit Poster

Thanks for the replies so far guys.

I've found a Cisco Security course at my local University, which is pretty handy!

Are there any Network/Security people out there and could they share with me which route they took to get to where they are now?

Thanks in advance :D

5. mattstevenson

Well, if it helps, I can tell you what I'm planning to do. I've got my A+, Network+, and CCENT (First half of CCNA). Next step is to get my first Microsoft cert. Then I'll probably take the Security+ and rest of the CCNA in quick succession. So I'll have a pretty porky, well rounded CV for such a young chap. It also gives me options, and a grounding in a nice range of topics. :)

6. Smiley

Smiley Bit Poster

Matt,

Out of interest which Microsoft Cert are you taking?

Thanks in advance :D

7. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

Started out as a Field Service Technician.
    Customer liked me, hired me to be a Systems Administrator. Began to pursue the MCSE.
    Became the Lead Technician for a telecommunications company. Continued to pursue the MCSE.
    Became a Senior Systems Administrator. Achieved the MCSE+I and CCNA.
    Became a Content Developer for a practice exam company. Major certifications of relevance included A+, Network+, Server+, Linux+, Security+, MCDST, MCDBA, CCNP.
    Became a Senior Network Engineer.
    Customer liked me, hired me to be the only Network Administrator for a 450+ user healthcare company. Achieved the MCTS.

I'm now a Senior Content Developer for another practice exam company. Aside from the writing jobs, you can use pretty much the same path I took to become a network admin. One step at a time...

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  8. mattstevenson

Sorry for the delay Smiley. I'll be taking the MCDST first. And I'll take it from there. :)