ethernet by powerline

Discussion in 'Networks' started by dales, Apr 15, 2007.

1. dales

dales Terabyte Poster

Hi all,
    I have a specific issue which I think might be resolved by using the powerline to route data. I'll try to explain as best i can and would be most grateful of your thoughts and input.

Currently i have 2 networks
    One home network 192.168.1.xxx which is served by a wireless modem router for internet access.

also I have one Domain network 192.168.0 which is served by a wireless access point (as well as some cabled items from the access point) the wireless access point has no connection to the modem router (and as far as I can see no may to make it connect).

This leaves me with an issue as I would like to let my server loose on the internet to allow me to study for MCSA at home in a more realistic way. however the physical location of the equipment wont allow me to run cabling from my office to the modem/router. (the house is 200 years old so dont fancy drilling too many holes in it). So thinking about it I would like to install a ethernet over powerline in my office which would then in turn make the access point a switch and connect the other end to the modem router. so in theory the domain will have an outbound connection option to the tineteret.

In light of the fact that I'm still learning do you think the physical connect would be ok (can I use the ethernetpower things on extention cables) and also what should I do with my 2003 server to allow internet access to the server and workstations, baring in mind that currently the home network is 192.168.1.xxx and the domain is set to 192.168.0.xxx, I would like the home equipment to still have normal internet access. If this is possible and my little brain can cope with it, this would mean that my wireless domain workstations can connect to the modem router instead of having to switch between domain ap and home wireless modem/router.

Sorry if this is a bit long winded, but I know what I want as the end result its just the journey I'm not sure about.

Certifications: vExpert 2014+2015+2016,VCP-DT,CCE-V, CCE-AD, CCP-AD, CCEE, CCAA XenApp, CCA Netscaler, XenApp 6.5, XenDesktop 5 & Xenserver 6,VCP3+5,VTSP,MCSA MCDST MCP A+ ITIL F
    WIP: Nothing
  2. Boycie
    Honorary Member

Boycie Senior Beer Tester

Dales,

It's your choice, but do you need your domain to have access to the "net"?

I assume the idea of your domain, is to learn about the applications ie Windows Server 2003. By making them live, you will have to worry (and pay) for an AV solution, patches etc.

There are options availible for the scenerio you mention, although I would recommend taking a look at VMWare. This software will install on your current operating system and host other machines for you - all in one neat and tidy place.

Let us know what you go for.

Certifications: MCSA 2003, MCDST, A+, N+, CTT+, MCT
  3. dales

dales Terabyte Poster

thanks for the reply boyce, I'll have a bit more of a think about it, I just kinda assumed that net access would be quite important for me to study mcsa when I get round to doing the server stuff.

Certifications: vExpert 2014+2015+2016,VCP-DT,CCE-V, CCE-AD, CCP-AD, CCEE, CCAA XenApp, CCA Netscaler, XenApp 6.5, XenDesktop 5 & Xenserver 6,VCP3+5,VTSP,MCSA MCDST MCP A+ ITIL F
    WIP: Nothing
  4. Boycie
    Honorary Member

Boycie Senior Beer Tester

No probs. I wouldn't put it out of the equation; it is something that you will want to do - just maybe not at the moment.

I am in for a steep learning curve when I change providers. I am going to run Exchange and ISA.

Boyce

Certifications: MCSA 2003, MCDST, A+, N+, CTT+, MCT
  5. r.h.lee

r.h.lee Gigabyte Poster

You can setup the domain in an isolated network.

Certifications: MCSE, MCP+I, MCP, CCNA, A+
    WIP: CCDA