ESXi 5 Lab setup

Discussion in 'VMware Certifications' started by michael78, Sep 21, 2011.

1. michael78

michael78 Terabyte Poster

I want to setup a ESXi 5 lab and have downloaded the free Hypervisor but assume to do all the bells and whistles I'll need to learn for the exam am I right in thinking I will still need to download the trial VMWare ESXi 5.0 version? Once the trial expires does it revert to the free version or is the free version and paid for trial version completely different. It's stumped me what I need to download when VMWare dropped ESX.

Certifications: A+ | Network+ | Security+ | MCP | MCDST | MCTS: Hyper-V | MCTS: AD | MCTS: Exchange 2007 | MCTS: Windows 7 | MCSA: 2003 | ITIL Foundation v3 | CCA: Xenapp 5.0 | MCITP: Enterprise Desktop Administrator on Windows 7 | MCITP: Enterprise Desktop Support Technician on Windows 7
    WIP: Online SAN Overview, VCP in December 2011
  2. Theprof

Theprof Petabyte Poster

You can use ESXi (Free version)but from my understanding, you'll also need vCenter which you can get as a free trial for 60 days.

Last edited: Sep 21, 2011
    Certifications: A+ | CCA | CCAA | Network+ | MCDST | MCSA | MCP (270, 271, 272, 290, 291) | MCTS (70-662, 70-663) | MCITP:EMA | VCA-DCV/Cloud/WM | VTSP | VCP5-DT | VCP5-DCV
    WIP: VCAP5-DCA/DCD | EMCCA
  3. dales

dales Terabyte Poster

You'll need vCenter as well to activate all the tasty bits (which can be a vm in itself), and network storage too iscsi would be best either through openfiler, starwind or a dedicated nas box of some kind.

ESXi5 will revert to the free version, that is to say it'll drop all the features that come with the paid for version when the period expires. I haven't got to the expiry on mine yet but I've got an iomega ix2 to use as iscsi storage so all I need to do is wipe the and reload esxi on the hosts, then double click the vmx's in the data stores et voila another 60 days thank you very much.

When you start getting near the expiry date you can run up a blank 2k8 r2 vm and then just run the vcenter installer when your reinstalled the esxi servers, either that or just deploy the vCSA ovf again.

simples!! :)

Last edited: Sep 21, 2011
    Certifications: vExpert 2014+2015+2016,VCP-DT,CCE-V, CCE-AD, CCP-AD, CCEE, CCAA XenApp, CCA Netscaler, XenApp 6.5, XenDesktop 5 & Xenserver 6,VCP3+5,VTSP,MCSA MCDST MCP A+ ITIL F
    WIP: Nothing
    michael78 and ThomasMc like this.
  4. craigie

craigie Terabyte Poster

Mate where have you been read my guide found here

You can use the same setup for vSphere 5

Certifications: CCA | CCENT | CCNA | CCNA:S | HP APC | HP ASE | ITILv3 | MCP | MCDST | MCITP: EA | MCTS:Vista | MCTS:Exch '07 | MCSA 2003 | MCSA:M 2003 | MCSA 2008 | MCSE | VCP5-DT | VCP4-DCV | VCP5-DCV | VCAP5-DCA | VCAP5-DCD | VMTSP | VTSP 4 | VTSP 5
    michael78 likes this.
  5. michael78

Cheers guys. Thats what I was hoping that ESXi reverts to the free version after the trial period is up. Am I right that basically VMWare give you the Hypervisor for free and it's the software you use to administer it that makes the difference such as vCenter.

Certifications: A+ | Network+ | Security+ | MCP | MCDST | MCTS: Hyper-V | MCTS: AD | MCTS: Exchange 2007 | MCTS: Windows 7 | MCSA: 2003 | ITIL Foundation v3 | CCA: Xenapp 5.0 | MCITP: Enterprise Desktop Administrator on Windows 7 | MCITP: Enterprise Desktop Support Technician on Windows 7
  6. michael78

Cheers Craigie I based a lot of my current ESX 4 lab on your guide mate :)

7. michael78

Cheers Dales I have a dedicated ML115 server that I setup as my Openfiler iSCSI SAN so good to go on that. Going to take the plunge in the next week or so and install ESXi 5.

8. onoski

onoski Terabyte Poster

Glad to see other see others taking an interest in EXSi 5 VMware as I just setup my trial vCenter server a few days ago and linked my two host to the vCenter server.

So far I have used starwind to configure scsi storage and would be implementing shared storage shortly using vmotion etc.

By the way I have been using my trial version for months and not even near to using 56 days of that yet:)

Certifications: MCSE: 2003, MCSA: 2003 Messaging, MCP, HNC BIT, ITIL Fdn V3, SDI Fdn, VCP 4 & VCP 5
    WIP: MCTS:70-236, PowerShell
  9. dales

dales Terabyte Poster

I've been lucky enough to purchase vsphere at the right time for my new company so have got esxi5 on our production network, bought a couple of vnxe's as well. which will give me a nice little CV sweetner when I've finished my fiddlement.

Just got to decide whether to use the windows licence I bought or just go with the vCSA (vCenter linux appliance). ESXI5 has some great new features although things like autodeploy and the vCSA just seem a little unpolished at the moment hopefully u1 will smooth that out though.

Certifications: vExpert 2014+2015+2016,VCP-DT,CCE-V, CCE-AD, CCP-AD, CCEE, CCAA XenApp, CCA Netscaler, XenApp 6.5, XenDesktop 5 & Xenserver 6,VCP3+5,VTSP,MCSA MCDST MCP A+ ITIL F
    WIP: Nothing