Error Message when trying to print from IE6

Discussion in 'Software' started by Twiggy, Jun 2, 2009.

1. Twiggy

Twiggy Bit Poster

I'm grasping at straws now for a solution to the following problem which someone is encountering at work, and wondered whether anyone here can provide some kind of explanation of what might be happening, and what we can do to fix it?!

In the last couple of weeks he has suddently been unable to print anything from IE6 (absolutely everything else seems to be working fine).

The message displayed is:

Internet Explorer Script Error

An error has occurred in the script on this page.

Line: 228
    Char: 1
    Error: The specified module could not be found.
    Code: 0
    URL: res://C:\WINDOWS\system32\shdoclc.dll.preview.dlg

Do you want to continue running scripts on this page? Yes / No

Our IT department has been out and reinstalled the printer drivers, they have also checked for something called surfairy which has been attributed to such problems on other sites, they have run anti spyware software to check there is nothing untowards on the machine, as well as numerous other things which I did not hang around to watch them do, but all to no avail.

The only significant thing to note with this pc, is that we recently had a Jayex patient information system installed in the waiting room, and the management program for this has been installed on his machine as well as the server they provided to run it.

Would be really grateful for any suggestions anyone might have!

Thanks, Hayley

Certifications: ECDL BCS1, NCFE Networking Essentials
    WIP: HNC in Computing
  2. Qs

Qs Semi-Honorary Member Gold Member

A quick google search provided this:-

http://rselby.net/print.htm#emwpie

MS Articles are here:-
    la
    lala
    lalala

If none of this helps, reformat - that'll solve it :)

Enjoy. :)

Qs

Certifications: MCT, MCSE: Private Cloud, MCSA (2008), MCITP: EA, MCITP: SA, MCSE: 2003, MCSA: 2003, MCITP: EDA7, MCITP: EDST7, MCITP: EST Vista, MCTS: Exh 2010, MCTS:ServerVirt, MCTS: SCCM07 & SCCM2012, MCTS: SCOM07, MCTS: Win7Conf, MCTS: VistaConf, MCDST, MCP, MBCS, HND: Applied IT, ITIL v3: Foundation, CCA
  3. Twiggy

Twiggy Bit Poster

Thank you, the first link you posted I had not yet come across, so I will investigate that one a bit further. I had visited the others already but have not yet tried doing anything with the suggestions given, partly because I wasn't sure about the fact they refer to earlier OS (we're running XP), and partly because gaining access to GP rooms and hijacking their computers for any length of time is easier said than done!

I'll let you know how I get on! H

4. Sparky
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Sparky Zettabyte Poster Moderator

"upgrade" to IE7? :blink

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
    WIP: Microsoft Certs
  5. Bluerinse
    Honorary Member

Bluerinse Exabyte Poster

That ^^ is definetly what i would have done first. :)

Certifications: C&G Electronics - MCSA (W2K) MCSE (W2K)
  6. Josiahb

Josiahb Gigabyte Poster

Yep, ie7 at least, if not just jump to 8 (or firefox)

Certifications: A+, Network+, MCDST, ACA – Mac Integration 10.10
  7. Twiggy

Twiggy Bit Poster

LOL thanks for the tip, I only wish it were that simple.

Unfortunately the software which is used for most hospital referrals is currently not compatible with anything higher than IE6 so we are stuck with it for now!

8. Josiahb

Josiahb Gigabyte Poster

holy crap... I would have thought everyone had sorted ie7 support for their apps by now, we did have one app here which caused near on a year and a half of waiting till we could upgrade but they got there eventually.

Of course that one app is now stopping us moving to ie8....

Certifications: A+, Network+, MCDST, ACA – Mac Integration 10.10
  9. Twiggy

Twiggy Bit Poster

Sounds about right!

It's the NHS to blame here though, no doubt they've got too many new projects going on, and once they finally got the choose & book system up and running (albeit on IE6) I think all their time is spent managing the new projects and trying to keep the choose & book system afloat, never mind upgrading it!

They upgraded some other software of ours about a month ago which caused a sequence of other problems for us, and they've only just managed to come out and fix for me today (3rd time lucky). Heaven only knows why they had to upgrade it at all yet though, as I can see no connection between it, and the new online test ordering software we were getting which they claim was why it needed upgrading?!! :blink

Just for the record, I should state that I do have firefox installed on my own pc both at work and at home. I avoid IE wherever possible!

Hope you're not kept waiting too long for IE8!