1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Erasing a PIX506E Without TFTP

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by twizzle, Dec 13, 2012.

1. twizzle

twizzle Gigabyte Poster

Guys,

I have 2 PIX506Es that need to be reset to factory defaults as they have usernames and passwords on that no one knows. Looking online i can see people saying go into the enable mode and type Configure Factory-default. I cant do this due to the passwords which i need to erase. I dont have access to a TFTP server to download a new OS file or image. Anyone else know how i can do this from either the Monitor> prompt or any other way? I've tried commands such as Confreg or delete Config.text but these dont work on this unit.

Oh and im trying all this from hyperterminal, i dont know any of the IP configs for either PIX either

Last edited: Dec 13, 2012
    Certifications: Comptia A+, N+, MS 70-271, 70-272
    WIP: Being a BILB,
  2. Simonvm

Simonvm Kilobyte Poster

Password Recovery Procedure for the Cisco Secure Pix 506

Password Recovery Procedure for the Cisco Secure Pix 506 - NesevoWiki

I hope this helps

Certifications: MCITP: EST, MCDST, MCTS, A+, N+, CCNP, CCNA Wireless
  3. twizzle

twizzle Gigabyte Poster

Thanks for that Simon but it still requires a TFTP server which i dont have access to. There must be a way to reset these from the break prompt before it loads all its configs??

Given time, i'd look into a TFTP server but the IT at works in a bit of a mess as it is.

4. Simonvm

Simonvm Kilobyte Poster

Just download TFTPD32 and put it on your own PC and start it up... It's a standalone app, no config required

Certifications: MCITP: EST, MCDST, MCTS, A+, N+, CCNP, CCNA Wireless
  5. twizzle

twizzle Gigabyte Poster

Yeah i just googled setting up TFTP servers and downloaded SolarWinds. Unfortunatley its now too late to try on the PIX506es (managers come and collected them anyway!). I'll have a play when i have a spare 5 mins with other Cisco kit we have that has corrupted images or configs. Having not done much on Cisco stuff in past, all i know is what i've googled so far and thats mainly been how to erase and reset various switches or routers, the PIX didnt use any of those commands.