Epos Engineer

Discussion in 'Employment & Jobs' started by XDA, Apr 16, 2009.

1. XDA

XDA Bit Poster

I have an interview for an EPOS Engineer position.

I have never been involved with EPOS before, so what sort of stuff would i be asked? Is there anything specifically that i should be researching?

I know what EPOS hardware is and what it does etc.

Has anyone worked as an EPOS engineer or worked with EPOS?

Any help would be much appreciated!!

Certifications: IT NVQ Level 3, ECDL, HP APS (2009) and CompTIA A+
    WIP: Lenovo (Warranty repairs)
  2. zebulebu

zebulebu Terabyte Poster

I project managed the chip & pin rollout for a major UK supermarket, so know a bit about EPOS kit :)

Depends what level the role is at. You'll more than likely be taking POS systems apart to fit replacement parts (new card readers, push pads, softkeys etc) which is mind-numbingly tedious, requires as much in the way of IT skills as washing a car does and pays peanuts. You'll get almost no exposure to any technology that can be used anywhere else, the career path is non-existent and after five years you'll still be doing the same old ****e.

On the plus side, you're likely to get a van to transport kit around in!

Certifications: A few
    WIP: None - f*** 'em
  3. XDA

XDA Bit Poster

Its a field service role, installation and maintenance.

Well it pays more than my current wage (£19k). I guess it will involve installation and maintenance on epos hardware.

Not really worried about career path at the moment, as Im only really interested in field service work but i guess it could progress into a management role?

Also comes with a company car, which is good!! :D

Cheers

Certifications: IT NVQ Level 3, ECDL, HP APS (2009) and CompTIA A+
    WIP: Lenovo (Warranty repairs)
  4. greenbrucelee
    Highly Decorated Member Award

greenbrucelee Zettabyte Poster

my mate works as an epos engineer basically all he does is make sure they read the barcodes correctly and replaces faulty handsets occasionaly he gets to type into his laptop an error code that tells him whats wrong with the reader.

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, Security+, 70-270
    WIP: 70-620 or 70-680?
  5. westernkings

westernkings Gigabyte Poster

On a side note, could always subsidise your income by shaving off some of that chip and pin equipment ;) haha. j/k

Certifications: MCITP:VA, MCITP:EA, MCDST, MCTS, MCITP:EST7, MCITP:SA, PRINCE2, ITILv3
  6. Kitkatninja
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Kitkatninja aka me, myself & I Moderator

Good luck for the interview :)

-Ken

Certifications: MSc, PGDip, PGCert, BSc, HNC, LCGI, MBCS CITP, MCP, MCSA, MCSE, MCE, A+, N+, S+, Server+
    WIP: MSc Cyber Security
  7. Jenna700

Jenna700 New Member

Sorry to bring up an old thread, I've come across this on google and wondered if anyone could help me.
    I'm looking into a career to be an epos engineer, but I only seem to find adverts for 'experienced engineers required' which is something I am not. I have programmed 3 epos tills before so I wouldn't exactly say I'm 'experienced'. I'd like to know a little more abut this role and how to gain experience/qualifications/training in this field to enable a career in the industry. Many thanks for any help

8. Mr_Cellophane

Mr_Cellophane Nibble Poster

Try ECS Reruitment, they are always looking for EPOS people of all levels. TBH a modern till is just a PC with a few extra peripherals (which will probably upset people who have been supporting EPOS equipement for years)

Certifications: MCSE, MCDST, MCNE, PRINCE 2 and ITIL
    WIP: MCSE 2003