Entry level job pay in London

Discussion in 'Employment & Jobs' started by IT2009, Mar 29, 2011.

1. IT2009

IT2009 Byte Poster

As I saw in advertised jobs, salary is usualy £18k in London. Does anyone leave in London on that salary? Is it realistic to expect more than that?

Certifications: MCP, HND Business Information Systems
    WIP: A+
  2. toshiba145

toshiba145 Nibble Poster

i earn half of that atm.

Certifications: A+, CCNA
    WIP: MCITP
  3. Modey

Modey Terabyte Poster

I'm sure that if x number of million people can survive on less than a dollar a day, then 18k should be manageable in London. :)

Accomdation is going to be the key factor, try and find a flat share or something that isn't too far from the job ... that way you cut down commuting costs also. Do your homework in that regard and you should be onto a winner.

Certifications: A+, N+, MCP, MCDST, MCSA 2K3, MCTS, MOS, MTA, MCT, MCITP:EDST7, MCSA W7, Citrix CCA, ITIL Foundation
    WIP: Nada
  4. IT2009

IT2009 Byte Poster

In London? How do you manage?

5. IT2009

IT2009 Byte Poster

Flatshare is something I don't look forward to but looks unavoidable. :(

6. Apexes

Apexes Gigabyte Poster

Depending upon your qualifications, your experience & the job you're going for - it can vary.

It's always accomodation that's a crapper in london - it's too expensive to live on your own, so it usually is a flatshare that's the best way to go. I did it once for about 3 months in London, and i was still paying 350 quid a month, for a small room - which i thought was expensive

Certifications: 70-243 MCTS: ConfigMgr 2012 | MCSE: Private Cloud
  7. Rob1234

Rob1234 Megabyte Poster Forum Leader

I live in London and flatshare like others have said accomdation is the big problem the rent I pay could probably pay a morgate on a house in other parts of the UK.

Certifications: A few.
  8. toshiba145

toshiba145 Nibble Poster

I currently live with my family who pay the rent. I know its not much as i am currently doing an apprenticeship. As the time goes hope my salary will rise or i wont able to survive much longer.

Certifications: A+, CCNA
    WIP: MCITP
  9. IT2009

IT2009 Byte Poster

Do you have second job?

What are good ideas for second job for people on low salary in London?

10. Apexes

Apexes Gigabyte Poster

I used to do bar work when i started out in IT (I was on 10k a year) - worked every Friday night after work til about 4am, and saturday nights aswell. Albeit it not in London, but still the same theory

This made me an extra 100 a week, which would cover quite a few things.

Plus, if you get into a decent bar / club - it's more fun and social then having to be a second job - used to love working the clubs/bars when i was younger.

Certifications: 70-243 MCTS: ConfigMgr 2012 | MCSE: Private Cloud
  11. Rob1234

Rob1234 Megabyte Poster Forum Leader

No I do not have a second job, there are part time work or night work all depends on what your current hours are, one thing about London is there is alot of evenning/night work but just like all jobs there is alot of people going for these jobs.

One person I live with works nights then in the morning sleeps for 2 hours then uni then a few hours sleep and does it all again its possible but not easy.

Certifications: A few.