Entry level certs

Discussion in 'Employment & Jobs' started by fatp, Apr 14, 2008.

1. fatp

fatp Byte Poster

Ive been studying for the comptia A+ for some time now. I havent rushed reading through the pyles or meyers book as I feel I need to learn everything before I take the exams. What other certs are there for me to take after completing the a+?

Network+ - Comptia states 6 months exp
    MCDST - ?
    Security+ - ?

Is THERE any others? Wireless? :)

FatP

2. kevicho

kevicho Gigabyte Poster

With the network+ i wouldnt worry too much about the experience part, as from memory most of it was theory anyways.

If you are able to set up your broadband router, with things such as port forwarding, encryption and the like, i think you should be able to handle most of the topics in there without much problem.

You could always buy some cheap equipment off ebay to play with if you feel you need experience, but most physical networking is plugging in cables :)

Certifications: A+, Net+, MCSA Server 2003, 2008, Windows XP & 7 , ITIL V3 Foundation
    WIP: CCNA Renewal
  3. Kitkatninja
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Kitkatninja aka me, myself & I Moderator

The Network+ is an entry level cert when it comes to working with networks, Comptia only recommends 6 months, however this isn't set in stone. I do recommend going for this cert.

MCDST is the easiest MS exams to do (compared to other MS exams) and it is a very good one to get especially when either trying to enter the IT profession or when you're already working in level 1 of IT.

Security+ isn't considered a general entry level cert - but it is considered to be an entry level cert when entering the security IT field.

If you look here, you'll see that the A+ sits at level 2 of the NQF (which is where GCSE's sits) and the Network+ & Security+ sit at level 3 (where A level's sit).

Other entry level certs that may catch your eye would include the Wireless# from CWNP and if you want to start to learn about servers in general then the Comptia Server+ is a good course to go on study.

If you're going to start working on the helpdesk you could also take a look into the MOS/MOUS and the newer MCAS certifications from MS. While they aren't classed as technical certs (they are class as business orientated certs), you will be dealing with questions on how to do this and how to do that.

-Ken

Certifications: MSc, PGDip, PGCert, BSc, HNC, LCGI, MBCS CITP, MCP, MCSA, MCSE, MCE, A+, N+, S+, Server+
    WIP: MSc Cyber Security
  4. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

Without experience, I'd recommend getting only the A+, Network+, and MCDST. Anything beyond that, and you'll be overcertified for your experience level.

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  5. kevicho

kevicho Gigabyte Poster

Would you add MOUS and ECDL to that? (Do you have ECDL over there in america?)

Certifications: A+, Net+, MCSA Server 2003, 2008, Windows XP & 7 , ITIL V3 Foundation
    WIP: CCNA Renewal
  6. BosonMichael

I've only heard you guys across the pond mention the ECDL, so I don't know whether it'd be worth it or not.

Used to be, the MOUS (which changed to MOS, which, I believe, has changed to something else - MCAS, I think?) was for people who used Office, but not so much for people who supported Office. I don't know if that's changed much. There are technical (MCTS) exams that cover tech support for Office... so I don't know how much call there is for MOUS/MOS/MCAS(?)-certified individuals.

Still, having those certifications would be better than not having them, considering they're geared towards a more entry-level position. If you've got the time and the money and the desire, why not go for them? :)

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
  7. Kitkatninja
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Kitkatninja aka me, myself & I Moderator

ECDL is for Europe, outside Europe it's the ICDL.

-ken

Certifications: MSc, PGDip, PGCert, BSc, HNC, LCGI, MBCS CITP, MCP, MCSA, MCSE, MCE, A+, N+, S+, Server+
    WIP: MSc Cyber Security
  8. BosonMichael

I've heard even less about the ICDL. :biggrin

9. fatp

fatp Byte Poster

Cheers for that KW. Rep given! sound advice. :)