Entry Level Advice?

Discussion in 'Employment & Jobs' started by knryan82, Jun 30, 2010.

1. knryan82

knryan82 New Member

Hey guys, I'm currently studying for my CompTIA A+ and looking to follow it up with Network+ by the end of the year after reading here not needing to renew your certification every 3 years, sure I can get them done as I'm eager, determined and frankly a little bit masochistic hehe. I'm looking to change my career direction and break into the world of IT. I'm looking for advice from you guys about landing an entry level position for a guy in my position.

Initially I am looking towards a first line support role. For the past few years I have worked as a bar manager and although good customer relations is a huge part of my job I am unsure whether it would be better for myself to maybe get a more similarly based customer service role to gain some experience of such an environment or, whether an employer will see my current experience as relevant to the role.

Also, would I just be wasting my time by applying for support role positions before gaining at minimum my A+ or would it be advisable to get a headstart and and apply for as much as I can for the moment? I have a Certificate in IT & Computing from Open Uni, although the course material served as no help to what I would be expected to do, it is at the least a recognised qualification (apparently lol :D).

Any help is much appreciated, thanks

WIP: CompTIA A+, Network+
  2. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

Opinions vary, but I would see customer service skills as a positive for someone applying for an IT support job. It's not easy to keep your head when trying to diagnose computer problems when you've got an irate individual ranting at you across a desk, over the phone, or in an e-mail message.

I'd recommend looking for jobs now, while you're studying for your certifications. Most entry-level jobs don't require certifications. However, certifications can make your CV stand out to an employer, giving you an advantage over your competition. As you get certifications, add them to your CV and start on the next.

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  3. knryan82

knryan82 New Member

Michael, cheers for the advice. I think over the coming weeks I'm going to try to get myself into a customer service role. The only thing that bothers me is that I'll likely be taking a significant pay cut over the coming months but if I'm looking to change career, I guess I can't just fall into my ideal position. Once II've got my A+ under my belt might start looking towards jobs

WIP: CompTIA A+, Network+
  4. soundian

soundian Gigabyte Poster

I'd stick with your current job and start applying now for any 1st line roles that come up in your area. Your first IT job will probably be a customer service job with a bit of IT thrown in so the pay will be about the same as any "customer service" role, i.e. not very good. I don't think there's any real value in taking a poorly paid non-IT customer service role when you are already in a job that requires a good level of customer service.

Certifications: A+, N+,MCDST,MCTS(680), MCP(270, 271, 272), ITILv3F, CCENT
    WIP: Knuckling down at my new job
  5. Josiahb

Josiahb Gigabyte Poster

Question: How would deal with an irate customer?

If you can answer that successfully then your customer service experience is relevant. No need to move into a lower paid non-IT role.

(For the record, I got my current job purely based on my experience working behind a bar and enthusiasm)

Certifications: A+, Network+, MCDST, ACA – Mac Integration 10.10