Enterprise Backup Solution

Discussion in 'Software' started by RyeGuy, Jun 5, 2009.

1. RyeGuy

RyeGuy Bit Poster

Hey all,

I just started looking into enterprise backup solutions that would work for our company but there are so many out there. There are some key features that we need it to do. First and foremost we need it to be able to back up Exchange and SQL which for us is huge. Second would have to be the bare metal restore feature which gives you the ability to back up to a completely different hardware configuration. Third, we would like to have the ability to make snapshots (which save time on back ups and restores). One last thing, would be the ability to restore the backups to an alternate location. After a little research, I was able to pull up a few solutions (Veritas Netbackup, CommVault Galaxy and Acronis True Image Echo) that had great reviews but wanted to get your opions and suggestions.

Thanks,
    Rhino

Certifications: A+, MCP, MCSA, MCTS, MCSE
    WIP: MCITP
  2. UKDarkstar
    Honorary Member

UKDarkstar Terabyte Poster

Have a look at online solutions - in UK I used to partner with backupdirect.net. Now they are part of Iron Mountain in the US so if you check with them you should come up with various suitable solutions.

Certifications: BA (Hons), MBCS, CITP, MInstLM, ITIL v3 Fdn, PTLLS, CELTA
    WIP: CMALT (about to submit), DTLLS (on hold until 2012)
  3. Kitkatninja
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Kitkatninja aka me, myself & I Moderator

Have you considered Backup Assist? We'll be moving over to it from Veritas, as we were impressed with the trial, not sure if it does everything you stated, but it's an option to look into :)

-Ken

Certifications: MSc, PGDip, PGCert, BSc, HNC, LCGI, MBCS CITP, MCP, MCSA, MCSE, MCE, A+, N+, S+, Server+
    WIP: MSc Cyber Security
  4. Sparky
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Sparky Zettabyte Poster Moderator

This isnt always the case, sure Acronis will let you restore to new hardware but Windows itself will (in some cases) throw a flakey.

Ive had mixed results, sometimes I have restored to new hardware with no major issues and other times I have had to run a repair install of the OS over the restored image. One time I just couldnt get the image to boot so I ended up having to get a different server to restore to. Working for an IT company has it's advantages sometimes. :biggrin

Also worth noting is that your RAID controller will need to be support by whatever product you go for before you can even think about restoring the image.

HTH 8)

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
    WIP: Microsoft Certs
  5. RyeGuy

RyeGuy Bit Poster

Thanks for the replies you guys, got me some good information there. I don't think the online solution is what my boss is looking for, he wants to have complete control over it (although it looks really nice). The backup assist looks nice but im a little afraid of it just cause I haven't heard anything about them :rolleyes: Has anyone heard of CommVault Simpana? If you have, what do you think about them? Good/bad luck with them? I really like the looks of it, has pretty much every thing that we are looking for in one way or another. Anyway, thanks for the tips guys I really appreciate it.

Certifications: A+, MCP, MCSA, MCTS, MCSE
    WIP: MCITP
  6. Spilly

Spilly Kilobyte Poster

Acronis is the dogs bollocks for bare metal stuff.

Maybe you need to consider more than one back up package.

Certifications: A+,N+,S+,MCP,MCDST,MCITP,MCTS,MCSA,CISMP,PCI-P,SSCP
    WIP: CCSK