Enrolled on a CCNA course today instead of intended N+ course, advice please

Discussion in 'General Cisco Certifications' started by tysfoot, Jul 8, 2009.

1. greenbrucelee
    Highly Decorated Member Award

greenbrucelee Zettabyte Poster

And if you smile at the nice looking girl and she smiles back then she will yours forever :D

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, Security+, 70-270
    WIP: 70-620 or 70-680?
  2. craigie

craigie Terabyte Poster

Mate this Jo Newbie was messing around with an ASA today :D

Nah, seriously I was, finding out how to locate who is connected via VPN and also see where the ACL's where configured.

Yesterday I was shown how to reload a PIX config.

Certifications: CCA | CCENT | CCNA | CCNA:S | HP APC | HP ASE | ITILv3 | MCP | MCDST | MCITP: EA | MCTS:Vista | MCTS:Exch '07 | MCSA 2003 | MCSA:M 2003 | MCSA 2008 | MCSE | VCP5-DT | VCP4-DCV | VCP5-DCV | VCAP5-DCA | VCAP5-DCD | VMTSP | VTSP 4 | VTSP 5
  3. dazza786

dazza786 Megabyte Poster

Can I ask a Q for all the people which have taken (AND PASSED) both exams...?
    Does the CCNA not contain everything the N+ does?

Certifications: MCP (271, 272, 270, 290, 291, 621, 681, 685), MCDST, MCTS, MCITP, MCSA, Security+, CCA(XA6.5)
  4. Qs

Qs Semi-Honorary Member Gold Member

OMFG... reall....

...wait... You almost had me there! :wink:

Qs

Certifications: MCT, MCSE: Private Cloud, MCSA (2008), MCITP: EA, MCITP: SA, MCSE: 2003, MCSA: 2003, MCITP: EDA7, MCITP: EDST7, MCITP: EST Vista, MCTS: Exh 2010, MCTS:ServerVirt, MCTS: SCCM07 & SCCM2012, MCTS: SCOM07, MCTS: Win7Conf, MCTS: VistaConf, MCDST, MCP, MBCS, HND: Applied IT, ITIL v3: Foundation, CCA
  5. tysfoot

tysfoot Byte Poster

Wow, i cant believe i got it so wrong.

having read all the advice i think its fair to say ive gone off the CCNA a bit now.

I just wanted to do a I.T course i enjoyed in a college enviroment and be able to get an entry level I.T jobs at the end of it

I feel a bit stuck now as i wanted to go to college and have some interaction with machines, students and tutors rather than going the self study route, im not tempted to go down the expensive traing poviders route though.

Certifications: A+
    WIP: MCDST, N+
  6. tysfoot

tysfoot Byte Poster

Ive just seen another course near where i live, http://www.mancat.ac.uk/adult/courses/new_details.asp?location=%25&course=network&cat=oracle&submit=Find+a+course&leaflet=6383 do you think this course is to advanced for someone only armed with a A+ or would i need some work experience or N+ behind me before i attempt this course

I may go to an enrolment day to speak to someone to see what else they have on offer, i just desperate to get on with something and learn something but i need to do the right thing

7. greenbrucelee

you should get the N+ before server +. The requirements for this course say you need a level 2 qualification to do it.

8. danielno8

danielno8 Gigabyte Poster

Yeh, although what these guys are sayin is probably true for the most part, it's not impossible to get into a position for a smaller company where you will be able to use what you learn by doing the Cisco stuff. I haven't done my CCNA but regularly work on our ASA's.

Certifications: CCENT, CCNA
    WIP: CCNP
  9. drum_dude

drum_dude Gigabyte Poster

Nope, they both mention - the N+ does only mention it - OSI and TCP/IP but that's where it ends! N+ also focuses on network operating systems too, CCNA does not. Whether or not peeps have passed both or not, it's well known that the CCNA is not an entry level cert like the N+. Entry level certs = one sentence questions and anything else above that is usually a paragraph or two i.e. MCPs or the CCNA.

Certifications: MCP, MCSA 2000 , N+, A+ ,ITIL V2, MCTS, MCITP Lync 2010 & MCSA 2008, Sonus SATP SBC 1k/2k
    WIP: Hopefully Skype for Business and some Exchange stuff...
  10. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

Dude, you're nowhere close to Joe Newbie status. :D When I mean Joe Newbie, I mean, fresh-off-the-IT-training-school-truck NEWBIE.

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  11. dazza786

dazza786 Megabyte Poster

I don't really understand the differences based on that post sorry :(

I'm not asking if the CCNA is an entry level cert, I'm asking if the content which is in the N+ is contained in the CCNA?

Certifications: MCP (271, 272, 270, 290, 291, 621, 681, 685), MCDST, MCTS, MCITP, MCSA, Security+, CCA(XA6.5)
  12. Qs

Qs Semi-Honorary Member Gold Member

No. Obviously there is going to be some overlap due to both exams being based on networking (knowledge of the OSI model for example).

But no... they're different exams with largely different content.

Qs

Certifications: MCT, MCSE: Private Cloud, MCSA (2008), MCITP: EA, MCITP: SA, MCSE: 2003, MCSA: 2003, MCITP: EDA7, MCITP: EDST7, MCITP: EST Vista, MCTS: Exh 2010, MCTS:ServerVirt, MCTS: SCCM07 & SCCM2012, MCTS: SCOM07, MCTS: Win7Conf, MCTS: VistaConf, MCDST, MCP, MBCS, HND: Applied IT, ITIL v3: Foundation, CCA
  13. BosonMichael

Short answer, no.

Long answer: the skills you learn on the Network+ will help you on the CCNA. But there are things on the Network+ that aren't tested on the CCNA, and there are (obviously) things on the CCNA that aren't on the Network+.

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
  14. drum_dude

eh?

CCNA - Not an entry level cert, N+ is an entry level cert...that is the main difference.

N+ covers NOSs, CCNA does not.

CCNA discusses OSI and TCP/IP in great detail...N+ doesn't

N+ consists only of one sentence questions, CCNA is full of scenarios, long questions and simulations.

there you go!

Certifications: MCP, MCSA 2000 , N+, A+ ,ITIL V2, MCTS, MCITP Lync 2010 & MCSA 2008, Sonus SATP SBC 1k/2k
  15. dazza786

dazza786 Megabyte Poster

again, didnt ask this- doesn't concern me

So then surely CCNA consists of a greater understanding of networking in comparison to the N+. Therefore how is the CCNA regarded as pointless if it covers these topics in more depth.
    Ok there is IOS stuff on there which won't be used.. but you have shown you are logically able to understand networking.

Out of interest, have you taken and passed both exams drum_dude?

Thanks

16. greenbrucelee

it isn't regarded as usless if you have experience of actually working with CISCO equipment in a related job. It is regarded by most employers as useless if you have not worked with CISCO gear.

17. drum_dude

but it is better to go N+ because like you said some content is included. :o)

18. drum_dude

No but I have passed N+ and am working towards the CCNA at the mo, but from studying the CCNA syllabus it is obvious to me that yes N+ does 'brush' over some CCNA topics.

I wouldn't regard the CCNA as pointless at all as it does contain good foundations of networking, as does the MS 'beast'. The N+ more or less focuses on Networking as a whole i.e. cables, NOS, protocols etc whereas the CCNA is more centred on Cisco products that need a good understanding of the foundations.

19. BosonMichael

No, not really. The CCNA consists of practical application of the theoretical knowledge you learn in the Network+. It's almost entirely IOS focused.

If he hasn't, I sure as heck have. :biggrin

20. tysfoot

tysfoot Byte Poster

This course contains both the Network + and server +, its a two year course, im going to phone them on monday to ask if im able to appy for this course. it does also state that you need to posses a recognised level 2 qualification in computer maintenance or networking, - not to sure what qualifications this mean, any help

If i dont get in this course i still want to learn an I.T subject at college. Im still indecisive if to do the CCNA at college as well as the N+ self study