Enrolled on a CCNA course today instead of intended N+ course, advice please

Discussion in 'General Cisco Certifications' started by tysfoot, Jul 8, 2009.

1. tysfoot

tysfoot Byte Poster

Hi,
    I just wanted to ask your guys opionions

I went to my local college to enrol on the N+ course starting in september as i need some hand on classroom time because home study isnt my thing, im due to take my A+ exam in three weeks.

After discussing, the tutor pursuaded me towards the CCNA qualification rather than the N+, its 1 evening a week for 2 years and seem pretty basic to start with which is good as i have no work experince in the I.T industry

I just wanted to ask, I thought the natural prograsion would be the A+ then N+ then CCNA, there are a lot of people in here doing the N+ and not as many people doing the CCNA, why is this ?

If anyone in here has done the CCNA either home study or in the class i would love to hear your views on it

I aslo wanted to ask what type of entry level jobs will i be applying for, will i need to get at least 6 months in a 1st line support role and progress from there or with the CCNA qualification will i apply for higher level jobs, having said i have no experience in the I.T indusrty

Cheers

Certifications: A+
    WIP: MCDST, N+
  2. tysfoot

tysfoot Byte Poster

Sorry i submitted the thread in the wrong room, whoops :oops:

I spend all my time in the A+ room its become a habbit :D, it was meant for the CCNA room...... your thoughts anyway, lol

3. dazza786

dazza786 Megabyte Poster

Out of interest; which college are you doing this at and how much is it? (I'm in manchester too :p)

To be fair, I can see what people are going to say:
    'CCNA isn't an 'entry level' qualification, and it's for people who have had x months experience using Cisco equipment'
    Which is true.. and an advantage the N+ has to CCNA is that it doesn't expire every 3 years..

I still see the CCNA as a bigger ROI but I'm still undecided as to what networking qualification to get myself.. so obviously I'm not going to be able to advise you if even I dont know! :biggrin

Certifications: MCP (271, 272, 270, 290, 291, 621, 681, 685), MCDST, MCTS, MCITP, MCSA, Security+, CCA(XA6.5)
  4. tysfoot

tysfoot Byte Poster

Its at oldham college mate, funnily enough its not on there website so i didnt know it existed but i seen the syllabus and the equipment and seems very interesting.

I spoke to him about experience and he said its very easy to start with and siad it was o problem for me as by that time i would have passed my A+ (hopefully)

What i need is hands on experince instaed of reading and reading and reading zzzzzzzzzzzzz so it seems a perfect opportunity for me

I didnt know about the expiry date, but even so, i would have choose the CCNA after the N+ regardless

5. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

The problem is that "hands-on experience" in a lab or classroom environment isn't considered "experience" by employers. And that's why many people here are pursuing the Network+, not the CCNA.

You might very well be able to pass the CCNA... but without the real-world experience to back it up, of what value is the certification?

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  6. Sparky
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Sparky Zettabyte Poster Moderator

I thought the Network+ would be a better choice if you are starting out in IT. 8)

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
    WIP: Microsoft Certs
  7. Kitkatninja

Kitkatninja aka me, myself & I Moderator

-Moved-

While it would be recommended that you do/have the Network+ before hand, especially if you don't have any experience. However:

See here.

-Ken

Certifications: MSc, PGDip, PGCert, BSc, HNC, LCGI, MBCS CITP, MCP, MCSA, MCSE, MCE, A+, N+, S+, Server+
    WIP: MSc Cyber Security
  8. tysfoot

tysfoot Byte Poster

Well i originally went to enroll on the Network+ at college, i could have done the self study route but i do need some lab time, which is something i dont have.
    The Network+ isnt due to start till aprill next year and only runs for 15 weeks so i may take both certs on.

Am also happy about the price of the course, £150 per eash semester and there is 4 in total, the Network + is £400 but i might do the CCNA course and self study the N+

9. BosonMichael

Which, in my opinion, is a mistake. Gives high schoolers the impression that they'll be allowed to waltz right into an IT job configuring Cisco routers, and that's simply not the case.

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
  10. tysfoot

tysfoot Byte Poster

but surley it will give me a chance getting a job as a junior or 1st line support then work my way up from there, i know i have to start from the bottom and this seems a perfect opportunity

11. Kitkatninja

Kitkatninja aka me, myself & I Moderator

I have to agree... It kinda builds a false expectation. I would say that by the time they actually get to configure Cisco kit they would have had to renew their certifications already (that's provided they pass it the first time round).

-Ken

Certifications: MSc, PGDip, PGCert, BSc, HNC, LCGI, MBCS CITP, MCP, MCSA, MCSE, MCE, A+, N+, S+, Server+
    WIP: MSc Cyber Security
  12. Big_nath

Big_nath Kilobyte Poster

I Have to agree with BM, I was told by an employer recently that without real-world experience with cisco kit the CCNA is next to worthless. I was going to give the CCNA a crack but instead i'm going to do N+ and then CCENT, and wait until i have more cisco experience.

Certifications: MCP, MCSA, MCSA:M, MCSE, MCTS
    WIP: A few
  13. Qs

Qs Semi-Honorary Member Gold Member

Yep. Same thoughts.

Our lecturer for the CCNA course at Uni (who was a CCNP himself) actually stated

"If you pass this course then you can effectively leave uni and write your own pay-checks".

Hah.

Qs

Certifications: MCT, MCSE: Private Cloud, MCSA (2008), MCITP: EA, MCITP: SA, MCSE: 2003, MCSA: 2003, MCITP: EDA7, MCITP: EDST7, MCITP: EST Vista, MCTS: Exh 2010, MCTS:ServerVirt, MCTS: SCCM07 & SCCM2012, MCTS: SCOM07, MCTS: Win7Conf, MCTS: VistaConf, MCDST, MCP, MBCS, HND: Applied IT, ITIL v3: Foundation, CCA
  14. Qs

Doubt it.

CCNA is VENDOR specific. All it shows is that you can use Cisco kit (and without the relevant experience you won't be able to get any Cisco jobs anyway). It doesn't prove you can do desktop support. Because of this it probably won't help you get an entry level job either unfortunately.

Ironically... if you'd had chosen the N+ instead, at least that's vendor neutral and may have helped you in this regard.

Qs

Certifications: MCT, MCSE: Private Cloud, MCSA (2008), MCITP: EA, MCITP: SA, MCSE: 2003, MCSA: 2003, MCITP: EDA7, MCITP: EDST7, MCITP: EST Vista, MCTS: Exh 2010, MCTS:ServerVirt, MCTS: SCCM07 & SCCM2012, MCTS: SCOM07, MCTS: Win7Conf, MCTS: VistaConf, MCDST, MCP, MBCS, HND: Applied IT, ITIL v3: Foundation, CCA
  15. Sparky

Did you laugh in his face when he said that? :biggrin

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
  16. Qs

I kinda stopped going to his lectures :p

...Still passed though, lol.

Qs

17. Sparky

The only Cisco work you would be doing in first line is installing the Cisco VPN client software on a laptop. You wouldnt need CCNA certification for that.

18. Qs

And copying and pasting .pcf files!

Qs

19. BosonMichael

No, not really. In fact, it can actually have the opposite effect, as the CCNA isn't relevant to entry-level support work. An employer who receives a CV from someone with a CCNA but no experience will think one or more of these:

1) This guy is way overcertified for his experience level, so he's more likely to have braindumped the CCNA - too risky for me to hire him.
    2) This guy is likely to want more money than an equally inexperienced tech without the CCNA - probably not worth the time to interview him.
    3) This guy is much more likely to leave when something better comes along, leaving me to find, hire, and train someone all over again - too risky for me to hire him.

That's why I suggest getting entry-level certifications to help you get entry-level jobs. They're relevant to the position, they're appropriate for your experience level, and they'll get you noticed - favorably rather than unfavorably! - by employers.

20. BosonMichael

As long as Joe Newbie doesn't mess with the routers or switches or firewalls on my network! :D