Enhanced Disclosure

Discussion in 'Employment & Jobs' started by fedupwithlife, Feb 12, 2010.

1. fedupwithlife

fedupwithlife New Member

Hello

Firstly I apologise for the fake user name. I am actually an active member here but have not posted for a while.
    I have been unemployed for the last couple of years but have been applying for jobs and using the opportunity for studying. So far I have gained MCDST, CCNA ICND1 and have 180 points from the open university in my degree.

I was placed on "working link" a while back as I had been unemployed for over a year.
    They recently offered me a "placement" which meant I had tp work for a month to continue getting my benefits. I was pleased with this as I thought I could gain some experience in an area I was not familiar with plus make some contacts. I had to undertake an Enhanced Disclosure which I understand but was not happy with as I usually avoid applying for jobs that require this. The reason being is that 10 years ago, I am 50 btw, I was prosecuted for growing a cannabis plant and fined accordingly.

After the interview I was offerd the job and given a start date. 15 minutes before I was due to start my advisor from "working link" phoned to say I could not start as my disclosure was not through yet but could I go in and see her.

I went in that morning and was asked " do I take durgs?" I was horrified by this and obviously the future employer had said this to my advisor who said to me. Now I thought this was completely confedential but obviously not. The worst thing is I have just had my disclosure through and they expect me to start work on Monday. Imagine how emabrassed how I am going to feel going in to anew job whwere everyone obviously knows about my drug history!

I do not see the need for my advisor from working link ever having a need to know from an outside source about my drug history. What are your views on this or am I just being paranoid :-)

2. JonnyMX

JonnyMX Petabyte Poster

I'm surprised that a joint 10 years ago should hang round your neck like a millstone, but there we go I suppose.

More and more jobs seem to be asking for CRB checks, so I suppose it's something we have to live with.
    It does seem somewhat unproductive for the job centre, who should be helping get you back into work, are actually putting up these barriers.

From a personal point of view though, you're going somewhere where they know you did drugs.
    So what?
    You DID do drugs, so what's the issue?
    How many other people who work there do drugs, alcohol or fiddle with kiddies?
    The fact that you don't know about it doesn't make it any better.

At least you're not being labeled for something you DIDN'T do.

Certifications: MCT, MCTS, i-Net+, CIW CI, Prince2, MSP, MCSD
  3. westernkings

westernkings Gigabyte Poster

My friend is recruitment asked someone she was interviewing the same interview after it was rumored he had taken cocaine and she was told literally to come straight out with it and ask him what his habit was. He of course said he stopped doing it which is what they wanted to hear, they are aware he hasn't really stopped.

I don't think EVERYONE will know. In fact who sees your disclosure? isn't it just senior people?

But most people are pretty liberal these days regarding cannabis. I don't like drugs at all but I don't castigate people that do cannabis (other drugs maybe). Imagine the people with more serious things on their EDs.

Last edited: Feb 12, 2010
    Certifications: MCITP:VA, MCITP:EA, MCDST, MCTS, MCITP:EST7, MCITP:SA, PRINCE2, ITILv3
  4. JonnyMX

JonnyMX Petabyte Poster

Wizard, is that you?

5. ericrollo

ericrollo Megabyte Poster

I was prosecuted for growing a cannabis plant and fined accordingly.

How big was this "Plant"?

To be honest what did you expect, you was asking for it.

Certifications: MOS Master, A+, MCP 271
    WIP: HND, Programming, Another Job
  6. Boycie
    Honorary Member

Boycie Senior Beer Tester

As someone who has undergone 2 enhanced disclosures, my understanding is that everything is disclosed; regardless of when or where.
    Didn't you receive your copy?

Last edited: Feb 15, 2010
    Certifications: MCSA 2003, MCDST, A+, N+, CTT+, MCT
  7. JonnyMX

JonnyMX Petabyte Poster

We all do things without thinking the long term consequences through...

8. LukeP

LukeP Gigabyte Poster

If they still accepted you on a placement then I wouldn't worry too much.

WIP: Uhmm... not sure
  9. zebulebu

zebulebu Terabyte Poster

Asking for what exactly?

Certifications: A few
    WIP: None - f*** 'em
  10. MLP

MLP Kilobyte Poster

I wouldn't worry too much. I'm sure your not the only one there, and if they still want you to go, they probably don't see it as an issue. The only people at the employer that are likely to know are those involved in the recruitment process - it would be bad form to let other employees know.

Maria

Certifications: HND Computing
  11. SimonD
    Honorary Member

SimonD Terabyte Poster

Like everyone else here I wouldn't worry about it. We all have a history, some of it good, some of it bad. The fact that you're clean now and have paid your debt should be enough.

As far as drugs are concerned so what, people drink, smoke, take drugs or play way too much video games, we all have vices and as long as they don't interfere with your work I wouldn't worry about it.

As far as " everyone obviously knows about my drug history" is concerned, not everyone will do, only the ones who need to know. After all it's not just you that this concerns, it does involve them as well. Consider the fact that they actually want you to start there as a good thing, they obviously still want you otherwise they could have used the drug thing to stop it there and then.

One final thing and this is the most important thing in my opinion. You told the truth, you didn't hide it from them and as such they have given you the benefit of the doubt, if you had lied and they discovered it that would have been worse.

Go into the job feeling POSITIVE, they want you and remember that.

Certifications: CNA | CNE | CCNA | MCP | MCP+I | MCSE NT4 | MCSA 2003 | Security+ | MCSA:S 2003 | MCSE:S 2003 | MCTS:SCCM 2007 | MCTS:Win 7 | MCITP:EDA7 | MCITP:SA | MCITP:EA | MCTS:Hyper-V | VCP 4 | ITIL v3 Foundation | VCP 5 DCV | VCP 5 Cloud | VCP6 NV | VCP6 DCV | VCAP 5.5 DCA
  12. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

That's a pretty big assumption, isn't it? I don't know about over there, but over here, employers ask about drug use and some even require drug testing before you start work. So I'm not sure how you are absolutely positive that "everyone knows" just because you were asked a question about drug usage.

But let's assume that they do know. How does that mean "everyone knows"? Have you ever been told any confidential information about drug usage at any other places you've worked? I haven't.

But let's take the assumption to the nth degree: What if everyone DOES know? So what? You grew a plant 10 years ago. Doesn't mean you still use today.

Personally, I think you're just being paranoid. ARE YOU TAKING DRUGS, MAN? :twisted: Pot'll do that to ya! :p

Just kidding. Relax. Do the best job you can, and stop worrying about what everyone thinks about you. :)

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  13. fedupwithlife

fedupwithlife New Member

Thanks for the feedback guys. i probabbly am a bit sensitive over this but cheers i feel a bit better now:D

14. fedupwithlife

fedupwithlife New Member

I can't rememeber the exact dimensions. I was asking for what??????

15. derkit

derkit Gigabyte Poster

I agree with the above guys - don't worry about it, you've been offered the role, its a done deal.

I think even if you don't go for any clearance, CRB check all the way up to the celing, on some job applications they ask about spent convictions, all except motor offences - so it may have had to come out anyway even though you tried to avoid it.

I know of people who have security clearances (about 4 levels higher than the CRB check) and they have used drugs or have convictions - unless its in the realm of what the job is - ie, working with kids - kiddie fiddler - then it is should simply be about disclouse.

Certifications: MBCS, BSc(Hons), Cert(Maths), A+, Net+, MCDST, ITIL-F v3, MCSA
    WIP: 70-293
  16. VantageIsle

VantageIsle Kilobyte Poster

Really sorry to hear this has come back and bit you in the arse, unfortunately certain sections of our society get a bit hysterical when drugs (and I mean any drugs) are mentioned.

If you are accepted and can start work well forget about it, otherwise it will drive you nuts.

Even if HR know about it they won't and shouldn't let on to anyone else about a plant you grew over a decade ago.

I guess you don't have to undertake SC or DV clearance for your new post so the best thing to do is forget about it and get on with your new job.

Best of luck

Last edited: Feb 13, 2010
    Certifications: A+, ITIL V3, MCSA, MCITP:EST, CCENT, 70-432-SQL, 70-401 SCCM
    WIP: MCSA upgrade MCITP:SA then EA
  17. Bluerinse
    Honorary Member

Bluerinse Exabyte Poster

Cannabis.. hahaha

shrug it off, a relatively harmless recreational drug that i have yet to meet a person that hasn't taken should not fill you full of guilt. The pharmaceutical industry is pimping out **** ten times worse in the name of medicine. makes me laugh to be honest. most people with depression would be far better off with the nonaddictive marijuana plant you were growing than the horribly potent and addictive drugs that are prescribed by doctors, Valium. Prozac et al.

Did i mention the legal ones killed my mother??

Certifications: C&G Electronics - MCSA (W2K) MCSE (W2K)
  18. derkit

derkit Gigabyte Poster

And even if you do go for SC/DV it isn't about what you've done in the past per se, its about whether you can be blackmailed in any way over it - they are interested in you being honest about yourself and not hiding it from the vetting agency (whichever one that is).

If you are still taking drugs, that definitely is a different kettle of fish!

Certifications: MBCS, BSc(Hons), Cert(Maths), A+, Net+, MCDST, ITIL-F v3, MCSA
    WIP: 70-293
  19. zebulebu

zebulebu Terabyte Poster

I've never taken it.

Then again, I've never smoked either.

Certifications: A few
    WIP: None - f*** 'em
  20. SimonD
    Honorary Member

SimonD Terabyte Poster

Actually I haven't either, the only thing I have come close to doing with drugs is putting a little residue of cocaine on my gums to feel the numbing effect. I have never felt the need or inclination to try drugs.

Certifications: CNA | CNE | CCNA | MCP | MCP+I | MCSE NT4 | MCSA 2003 | Security+ | MCSA:S 2003 | MCSE:S 2003 | MCTS:SCCM 2007 | MCTS:Win 7 | MCITP:EDA7 | MCITP:SA | MCITP:EA | MCTS:Hyper-V | VCP 4 | ITIL v3 Foundation | VCP 5 DCV | VCP 5 Cloud | VCP6 NV | VCP6 DCV | VCAP 5.5 DCA