English Language (Ab)use

Discussion in 'Polling Station' started by Baldbloke, Dec 1, 2006.

?

English Language (Ab)use

Poll closed Dec 26, 2006.
  1. Yes

12 vote(s)
    85.7%
  2. No

2 vote(s)
    14.3%
  3. Soz I dnt undrstnd da qstn coz all I do is txt

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. I don't speak any English at all

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. Baldbloke

Baldbloke Bit Poster

Hi

Is the English language in a process of being degraded to the point where no-one really gives a damn about spelling, pronunciation or grammar? I saw an example on this very site where an individual stated his location as "Manchesta". For gudnes (sic) sake! Is this the best that Britain has to offer to the world??? No wonder we're outsourcing to India and importing from the far East... they have better English skills than we do!

Opinions please....

Certifications: MCP, A+, Network+, HP APS (Proliant),
    WIP: MCSA/E, Convergence+
  2. Boycie
    Honorary Member

Boycie Senior Beer Tester

BB,

I take your point, but I am in no position to comment on grammer- my english is crap!

I would say, a lot is due to the *messenging* type of language.

Si

Certifications: MCSA 2003, MCDST, A+, N+, CTT+, MCT
  3. Bluerinse
    Honorary Member

Bluerinse Exabyte Poster

I would have to say yes, it is going down the pan but as always, I blame the Americans. It seems we are all slowly turning into Americans whether we like it or not. All the kids here speak with like you know, like American accents. Like, they have to say like, at least once in every sentence. They don't sound Australian anymore, they sound like, you know, miniature replicas of Brat-any Spears. That is like, not good.

All US CF present company excepted. :D

Certifications: C&G Electronics - MCSA (W2K) MCSE (W2K)
  4. Mr.Cheeks

Mr.Cheeks 1st ever Gold Member! Gold Member

it would of been good if you had an Yes- Most time - just silly mistakes

5. noelg24

noelg24 Terabyte Poster

Shame to say its the world we live in now...we are in a generation of texters and abbreviators, that no one cares anymore...in some cases (especially mine) it can get so bad that I happen to miss out words never mind mispelling and grammar...but there you go not much can be done about it...imagine if they made us all go back to school to study English all over again? :eek: dont think I could face that...

Certifications: A+
    WIP: my life
  6. Jakamoko
    Honorary Member

Jakamoko On the move again ...

But Noel, you just negated your entire point by posting a perfectly well-constructed (I make no comment on the content !! ) post. Gotta love ya (sic, also)

Great point, Baldbloke - I commented on this at work today ... there are just far too many language and grammar butchers out there. That said, I disagree 100% with Noel's point that that's just how it is, and we should accept it. I will never, ever give up my hopefully able grasp of the English language, written and spoken, and have no truck with those too lazy to learn and implement it. There have been way too many literary geniuses who can use our language to great ends for me 2 say I'll c u l8r .........

Certifications: MCP, A+, Network+
    WIP: Clarity
  7. Baba O'Riley

Baba O'Riley Gigabyte Poster

My sister's fifteen and the last time I saw her she told me they no longer correct spelling in her homework! Then a couple of weeks back I remember a story on the news saying that l33t would be accepted in school work. WTF is going on? It's just not on...

Certifications: A+, Network+
    WIP: 70-270
  8. Weemez

Weemez Kilobyte Poster

Damn it i ticked wrong box, how hard can it be!:oops:

I see it more and more, i'm in regular contact with my nephew and i can only understand the half of what he is writing to me, the rest is guess work.

Its bad bad bad and i can only see it getting worse as its already got a grip on things.

Certifications: HNC Computing A+ N+ ICND1
    WIP: ICND2
  9. simongrahamuk
    Honorary Member

simongrahamuk Hmmmmmmm?

I have to say though that the US members who visit here tend to be better grammatically than us Brits. 8)

10. Bluerinse
    Honorary Member

Bluerinse Exabyte Poster

Yes, they 'write' very well, every one of them.

It's the younger generation I was referring to, the trendy brat pack that has so much negative influence around the globe.

Certifications: C&G Electronics - MCSA (W2K) MCSE (W2K)
  11. jackd

jackd Megabyte Poster

Your right with the "Like" at my school in every sentence there's at least two "Likes" in.

I try to avoid typing or texting using slang its so much easier to read.

They correct spelling at my school for every piece of work we do. And where also not allowed slang

12. Baba O'Riley

Baba O'Riley Gigabyte Poster

I find it funny when brits complain about Americans using different words to us because most of the time the American version is actually the correct English. The example that springs to mind is faucet/tap. The word tap comes from the tapping of barrels (like everything in Britain, it's connected to booze) and faucet is actually the correct word.

Certifications: A+, Network+
    WIP: 70-270
  13. JonnyMX

JonnyMX Petabyte Poster

I've said 'yes' - but what is a language anyway?

Spoken word came about to allow us to communicate.
    Like everything else, we adapt and evolve.
    I grew up pre-PC and pre-mobile phone.
    Now I can't imagine being without them.

As the technology which allows us to communicate changes, is it wrong to change the language to suit it?

In the rather excellent Amtrak Wars books, the people of the future don't have paper or pens and the verb 'to write' has changed to 'to key'.

I would like 'proper' grammer and spelling to stay alive, but can anyone stand in the way of popular opinion, or even progress?

We are still at a stage when your CV will be rejected because of bad spelling or grammer, which I think is the strongest reason to stick to it.

But how long will it be before a CV with no vowels gets the boss saying 'ww, ths gy sr cn txt!'

Having said that, personally it pisses me off!

:cry:

Certifications: MCT, MCTS, i-Net+, CIW CI, Prince2, MSP, MCSD
  14. Baldbloke

Baldbloke Bit Poster

Don't you mean "would have" ? :ohmy ... (or is that an example of the "silly mistakes" you refer to? :biggrin )

Certifications: MCP, A+, Network+, HP APS (Proliant),
    WIP: MCSA/E, Convergence+