Employment

Discussion in 'General Microsoft Certifications' started by noel123ie, Apr 24, 2009.

1. noel123ie

noel123ie Nibble Poster

Hi there

Looks like I will be out of a job on Monday with months notice

I hope to have MCSA mid May and will either do MCSE or CCNA then-any thoughts?

Also I was wondering know a friend who is sys admin would it be advantagious to do some work experience with him until I get something else?

Thanks
    Noel

Certifications: MCSA Sec+
  2. Kitkatninja
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Kitkatninja aka me, myself & I Moderator

If you have a friend who will let you work with him on a voluntary basis, go for it. It can only help... To be honest I would finish the MCSA and then hold off until you've got good experience at tier 2/level 2 support.

As for the CCNA, I would say hold off on that, if you want to do a Cisco cert then look at the CCENT. I say this for 2 reasons:

1. What are the chances of working directly with Cisco kit before the cert expires? &
    2. While Cisco are the biggest name in networking, not all companies use Cisco kit. There are HP, Juniper, etc... Each with their own training courses/certs.

-Ken

Certifications: MSc, PGDip, PGCert, BSc, HNC, LCGI, MBCS CITP, MCP, MCSA, MCSE, MCE, A+, N+, S+, Server+
    WIP: MSc Cyber Security
  3. dazza786

dazza786 Megabyte Poster

If I was in your position I would make the most at the current job by doing safe 'experiments' and testing which compliment your learning based on the exam syllabus. Then when you leave, obviously working alongside your mate as a net admin is going to be advantageous. I'd work for free if they're not willing to pay, just so that you can get some decent on-the-job experience which can aid your studies and knowledge.

Certifications: MCP (271, 272, 270, 290, 291, 621, 681, 685), MCDST, MCTS, MCITP, MCSA, Security+, CCA(XA6.5)
  4. noel123ie

noel123ie Nibble Poster

Thanks for all the replies

How much work experience would I need to do to have it count on a cv?

Thanks
    Noel

Certifications: MCSA Sec+
  5. Kitkatninja
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Kitkatninja aka me, myself & I Moderator

Any amount, however employers normally like to see between 6 months and 2 years.

Unless I've read your question wrong...

-Ken

Certifications: MSc, PGDip, PGCert, BSc, HNC, LCGI, MBCS CITP, MCP, MCSA, MCSE, MCE, A+, N+, S+, Server+
    WIP: MSc Cyber Security
  6. dazza786

dazza786 Megabyte Poster

Depends what type of job you're going for. If you're to have an MCSA cert then I would suggest around 2 years in a 2003 AD based role?
    That's what I'm going for anyway before I apply for a new job. Only a few more months to go and I'll have around 2.5 years experience in a support based role, totalling from 2 jobs. I'm planning on staying at this job for 2 years though to show that I am committed to a job and don't just get up and hop when I feel like a change. I feel as though if I stay any longer in a support role, I'll be going down a path which I don't really want to go.

Certifications: MCP (271, 272, 270, 290, 291, 621, 681, 685), MCDST, MCTS, MCITP, MCSA, Security+, CCA(XA6.5)