Employment question (almost short of begging)

Discussion in 'Employment & Jobs' started by kai, Jun 17, 2010.

1. kai

kai Bit Poster

Hello,

I have finished my network+ coursework and im ready for the exam. The problem is, I did not know how expensive the exam was to take, so I actually cant afford to take it for a good while at the moment.

Im very desperate to leave my first proper full time job working in a deli for the past 2 years, so im considering of writing up a CV with no certs but detailing what im after and hope I strike it lucky. I wanted to pass it through on this forum so ill know if I have a chance at all.

I can build PCs, so I know my hardware and software apps. I know how to troubleshoot most hardware problems. My network+ course has taught me to subnetting, understand networks and how they work, and how to troubleshoot them but I have no hands on experience. I would want to explain that I am after any entry level IT job. I work extremely hard and somewhat of a workaholic.

I am desperate to start my IT career before im 25 that im willing to do whatever it takes. Once im on that ladder I know im set for life. I know how to work from the bottom and work my way up, so once i break through into an actual job I would be the happiest guy in the world having that opportunity.

A bit longer then what I planned this thread to be, but let me know what you think, and let me know if I have a chance having no certs but 100% dedication and enthusiasm.

Kai.

2. Fergal1982

Fergal1982 Petabyte Poster

easily. I didnt, I still dont (if you exclude ITIL).

Certifications: ITIL Foundation; MCTS: Visual Studio Team Foundation Server 2010, Administration
    WIP: None at present
  3. Josiahb

Josiahb Gigabyte Poster

Dedication certainly counts and there is no reason for you not to start applying for IT job now. Keep studying, keep working and get applying! Some employers are still willing to take a chance on a complete novice so there is hope!

Certifications: A+, Network+, MCDST, ACA – Mac Integration 10.10
  4. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

While certifications can make your CV look more attractive, they aren't required for most entry-level IT jobs. So start applying now! Work on your A+, Network+, and MCDST as you can, and add them to your CV when you get them. :)

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  5. Jiser

Jiser Kilobyte Poster

My previous work at a school we interviewed for new I.T. Techs. I can probably say allthough experiance / qualification counts that if you could have sucessfully sold yourself in the interview + completed the technical tasks well you would have had a chance of getting a job on a decent salary for entry level.

Our task was troubleshooting a broken pc, logging onto it, fixing a problem on it and solving a network issue on it. After that we asked them to design something for us. Additionally we had a 3 page technical test.

So Ill sum up:

Confidence, sell your self well and know the technical side of things and you will have a chance. e.g. If your going for a help desk job know your stuff on the N+ and A+ and basic microsoft stuff.

Certifications: BSc (Hons), PGc, MCTS:Win 7, MCSA W7/MCITP EDST, ITIL Foundation, Prince 2 Foundation, C&G: Web Design, MOS 07: Excel, Word, Powerpoint, Outlook.
  6. Kitkatninja
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Kitkatninja aka me, myself & I Moderator

Also, don't forget that soft skills are also plays a big part in any job interview, and soft skills can be developed in any job.

-Ken

Certifications: MSc, PGDip, PGCert, BSc, HNC, LCGI, MBCS CITP, MCP, MCSA, MCSE, MCE, A+, N+, S+, Server+
    WIP: MSc Cyber Security
  7. kai

kai Bit Poster

I'm looking for a good CV template to follow, right now its very bland. Would be good to know how open I should be, or if I can be more technical in my CV. I mention CompTIA A+ and N+ in education, so hopefully the cover might persuade an employer to give me a chance?

This is my first CV cover or "career objective" so be as harsh as is needed.

My beggingness in formal CV form;

"I am looking for an entry level position in IT as a 1st line tech support, desktop support, Computer technician or junior network assistant.

I have built my own computers from a young age and have helped troubleshoot friends and families PC and Networking issues. I am looking for an entry level IT job to start my career, and would be grateful for the opportunity. I am hard working, often stepping out of my role and taking a supervisory role when needed. My current job requires me to be a valuable team player in a very demanding, customer driven environment.

IT has always interested me and is something I would like to do in employment rather then an interest and hobby."

Thanks for the help so far. Ive been in my deli so long I cant see myself working anywhere else. Working on my CV is giving me butterflies :biggrin

Kai.