employment from A+

Discussion in 'Employment & Jobs' started by pb_85x, Sep 4, 2007.

1. pb_85x

pb_85x New Member

hiya everyone ive not written on here for a while, but i was just wondering if anybody here has got a job following gaining an A+ essentials and technician cert? ive passed the essentials exam and due to do the technicians one very soon, im hoping to get a job in help desk support or something along those lines as i also have 4 yrs exp in customer service.

Certifications: A+ Essentials
    WIP: working towards MCDBA
  2. Rafek

Rafek Kilobyte Poster

Hiya pb_8x.

Yes you should be able to find a helpdesk/1st line position with the CompTIA A+.
    I gained the A+ in Oct last year and then landed a 1st line support role within a month.

Obviously it depends on who's recruiting in your area and how you prepare for the interview (lots of interview advice in the employment forum). At helpdesk level I believe how you communicate with people will be more helpful in getting you the job than technical knowledge, but the tech knowledge will help you stand out in the application stage and on the job.

Certifications: A+, Network+
    WIP: IPT/IPCC stuff
  3. Dazimus

Dazimus Bit Poster

http://certforums.co.uk/forums/thread18964.html

I got a job as a Desktop Support Technician after passing my A+ with no prior IT experience, four years of call centre work and a few weeks of voluntary work at my local PC World.

I applied for my job even know the job description asked for skills and experience I didn't have. I basically made a point in the covering letter by saying even though I don't have what they're looking for, I'm determined and a quick learner. Same in the interview. And it paid off :) Good luck!

Certifications: A+
    WIP: MCDST
  4. pb_85x

pb_85x New Member

Thanks for ya help guys, i might start looking for vacancies in my area as soon as ive completed the second exam. the only worry that i do have is if they ask me something and i dont have a clue about as before i started this course i didnt really know much about pc's but i do have a 'spare' comp that ive been practicing on to gain extra exp as seeing it for real seems to put it in better prospective than just reading about it and seeing diagrams.

Certifications: A+ Essentials
    WIP: working towards MCDBA
  5. Rafek

Rafek Kilobyte Poster

Dont worry mate if you're asked a question you dont know the answer, then be honest and say so, if you try to fudge an answer you will be found out. It takes a lot to actually say 'I don't know' in an interview, but they should respect your honestly. Make sure you show your willingness to learn to fill the gaps in your knowledge and you'll be fine :thumbleft

Certifications: A+, Network+
    WIP: IPT/IPCC stuff
  6. Dazimus

Dazimus Bit Poster

In my interview I was asked what I knew about Citrix. I turned and said I'll be honest and say I don't know anything about it and I'd rather tell them that than lie and say I do ... BUT I'm very much willing to learn and I can get up to speed on it very quickly if need be :)

Certifications: A+
    WIP: MCDST
  7. greenbrucelee
    Highly Decorated Member Award

greenbrucelee Zettabyte Poster

Whilst certs and qualifications make you stand out to an employer only one thing is better EXPERIENCE.

I have a few qualifications and am also studying towards the A+, but have come to the realisation that untill I get some proper experience then I can only hope when I go for an interview that people going for the job are in the same boat as me but without the A+ cert.

That will give me the advantage.

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, Security+, 70-270
    WIP: 70-620 or 70-680?