Employment Conundrum

Discussion in 'Employment & Jobs' started by markymark88, Apr 30, 2015.

1. markymark88

markymark88 New Member

Hey Guys,

I am new member on here but a regular browser on here :). I am need of some advice. I work as a helpdesk technician and currently earn 14,000 a year. This of course is not ideal lol. I have a possible opportunity to join a local IT support company in a pretty much similar role for 20,000 a year. The problem is the minority shareholder and all round decision maker at this place, happens to be a close friend of my Brother in Law and this co owner apparently is a bit of a loon lol. I do not know whether to go for it and risk possible issues with my bro in law if any issues arise with this nutter lol, but if I do it is a massive pay rise and a chance to increase my skills further as they will pay for all courses etc. What you guys think?

Last edited: Apr 30, 2015
  2. Coupe2T

Coupe2T Megabyte Poster

Take the job, improve your skills and earn more money, hands down.

You are all adults, even if you did run into issues with the loon then I'm sure your BIL would understand your point of view as well, to be honest I suspect he would rather be left out of it, and that is probably the best way to go.

If it's a good opportunity, then regardless of contacts I would still go for the opportunity, everything else you should be able to deal with regardless of what may or may not happen.

Besides, if he is in a position like that, how much of a loon can he be? Surely just wants the best for the company as that also earns his money etc.

Certifications: ECDL, Does that Count!?!
    markymark88 likes this.
  3. markymark88

markymark88 New Member

Yes it sounds like the best way to go doesn't it. Thank you for the advice.

4. SimonD
    Honorary Member

SimonD Terabyte Poster

I agree, it sounds like you have more to lose by not taking it than taking it.

Do the work, get the experience and learn from it to better yourself.

Certifications: CNA | CNE | CCNA | MCP | MCP+I | MCSE NT4 | MCSA 2003 | Security+ | MCSA:S 2003 | MCSE:S 2003 | MCTS:SCCM 2007 | MCTS:Win 7 | MCITP:EDA7 | MCITP:SA | MCITP:EA | MCTS:Hyper-V | VCP 4 | ITIL v3 Foundation | VCP 5 DCV | VCP 5 Cloud | VCP6 NV | VCP6 DCV | VCAP 5.5 DCA
  5. markymark88

markymark88 New Member

Yeah, you guys are right. I sometimes doubt my own ability...that why I was a little hesitant also.

6. SimonD
    Honorary Member

SimonD Terabyte Poster

Never doubt yourself, your self belief is what people believe in, if you doubt yourself, others get that vibe and also doubt you, just remember that you are the best thing since yesterdays sliced bread ;) (just so you get it, you're not todays sliced bread which is awesome but yesterdays which is still decent :))

Certifications: CNA | CNE | CCNA | MCP | MCP+I | MCSE NT4 | MCSA 2003 | Security+ | MCSA:S 2003 | MCSE:S 2003 | MCTS:SCCM 2007 | MCTS:Win 7 | MCITP:EDA7 | MCITP:SA | MCITP:EA | MCTS:Hyper-V | VCP 4 | ITIL v3 Foundation | VCP 5 DCV | VCP 5 Cloud | VCP6 NV | VCP6 DCV | VCAP 5.5 DCA
    markymark88 likes this.
  7. markymark88

markymark88 New Member

Haha :). Thanks for your replies, really helped :)

8. JK2447
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

JK2447 Petabyte Poster Administrator Premium Member

I agree go for it and you never know, the "loon", could end up being your BFF :) You need to look after yourself and do what's best for you, not others. They would do the same. Cheers, Jim

Certifications: VCP4, 5, 6, 6.5, 6.7, 7, 8, VCAP DCV Design, VMConAWS Skill, Google Cloud Digital Leader, BSc (Hons), HND IT, HND Computing, ITIL-F, MBCS CITP, MCP (270,290,291,293,294,298,299,410,411,412) MCTS (401,620,624,652) MCSA:Security, MCSE: Security, Security+, CPTS, CCA (XenApp6.5), MCSA 2012, VSP, VTSP
    WIP: Google Cloud Certs
    markymark88 likes this.
  9. markymark88

markymark88 New Member

Thanks Jim :)

JK2447 likes this.
  10. Apexes

Apexes Gigabyte Poster

Do it - sounds like a no brainer!

Certifications: 70-243 MCTS: ConfigMgr 2012 | MCSE: Private Cloud
    markymark88 likes this.