Employer wasted my time.

Discussion in 'Employment & Jobs' started by Zendog, Aug 4, 2008.

1. Zendog

Zendog Bit Poster

Hi guys.

I've recently been turned down for a job as 1st line support. The employer was very interested and invited me along for a 2nd interview to test my technical knowledge. I did the assessment without much trouble but struggled slightly with their own in house software(which was hideously complex without needing to be) they basically dropped me in at the deep end but I managed to struggle my way through it. The employer said he would speak to his "team" and get back to me today(monday)

He emailed me minutes ago claiming I was struggling with the software(what!?!) and my technical knowledge was lacking. And I might be better getting a degree?? I know in a lot of situations a degree is desirable he also mentioned that cisco certs would be good, even though the company is too small to afford cisco kit.

I guess I'm a little bitter about it after the employer was soo positive about employing me and has made me wait all weekend for what feels like a kick in the nether-regions. After all this I've learnt a lot about interviews etc and am going to start taking my certs (starting with A+) has anyone else got any horror stories they want to share?

WIP: A+,CCNA
  2. hbroomhall

hbroomhall Petabyte Poster Gold Member

Sorry to hear that, but I have to say that these things happen all the time.

It sounds as if he grabbed any excuse he could think of to avoid just saying 'no'. And possibly also in the belief that this may allow him to escape any legal action over discrimination.

The current employment conditions are not good - so expect to be fighting hard for a job! :ohmy

Harry.

Certifications: ECDL A+ Network+ i-Net+
    WIP: Server+
  3. Hades

Hades Nibble Poster

Is a shame about what happened to you, but all you can do is take it as one of those learning curves.
    You got invited to a 2nd stage interview which is allways a good start :)

As for Horror stories the only one I have to share is:

I had been told I had a job by the interviewer and to expect my contract in the post in the next few days. 2 weeks later i tried to get in contact with the company after a few tries I finally was told I did not have the job as the manager had given the job to someone but had forgot to tell the interviewer.. and a letter was in the post bye!....

!!""WHAT"!! I thought and was well and truelly peeved as I had turned down 2 other jobs due to being told I had the position.. luckily for me I went hat in hand to the other companys and one took me on luckily..... but I never did get that letter

Certifications: City & Guilds Diploma in ICT level 2+3
  4. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

The employer didn't "waste your time" no more than you "wasted their time". They simply chose someone else more suited for the job. Eh, that happens.

Don't feel bad about being dropped in at the deep end. Your competition was dropped into the same deep end as you were.

You should be encouraged that you made it past the first interview! Considering that, the odds are good that some company will eventually give you your chance. Next time, you'll be all the more prepared just by having gone through this experience. :thumbleft Chin up!

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  5. Sparky
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Sparky Zettabyte Poster Moderator

As BM has said try and look at the positive aspects of the whole experience, you got to the interview stage which is a big plus! :thumbleft

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
    WIP: Microsoft Certs
  6. Finkenstein

Finkenstein Kilobyte Poster

I had an experience that crushed me in much the same way. Multiple interviews at the same spot. I got along great with the team that I would have worked with. The technology that they were dealing with was awesome. I was in, in, in! That was until the "headhunter" that was lining up the job gave them my salary request, which was exactly what we talked about in my multiple interviews with the company. Only thing is that he argued with them that my number was per HOUR instead of per YEAR. He said "my client will accept no less". So they ended up going with someone else. I went off on that agency, and spoke to the company. They said they'd love to hire me but had to go with someone else because the headhunter was so aggressive.

Come on though... I don't remember what the number was, but if it was that I wanted $40,000 a year, you wouldn't mistake that for $40 an hour... that's over $83k... OBVIOUSLY that's over what the job should be paying. I was cheesed about that.

Certifications: MCP, Network+, CCENT, ITIL v3
    WIP: 640-822
  7. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

Yikes! Bad deal with that headhunter, man... my condolences. You are correct; that headhunter should have known the industry enough to know that that's way outside the range for that job... :wtf:

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  8. disarm

disarm Byte Poster

The interviewer sounds like he doesn't know what he's on about. How is a degree going to help with bespoke software applications?