Emigrating to the US

Discussion in 'Employment & Jobs' started by dmarsh, Feb 10, 2008.

1. dmarsh
    Honorary Member 500 Likes Award

dmarsh Petabyte Poster

Hello,

I'd like to consider emigrating to the US, I have an Honours Degree, and a fair bit of experience (12 years). Recently I've been contracting in the UK.

I'd like to emigrate to the US in the near future, currently it seems a bit of a catch 22 situation, I need a job to get a work visa if I'm correct. Also a work visa is no guarantee of obtaining a green card, and if I decide I'd like to stay I would like to know its possible and would not wish to have to come back to the UK thousands of pounds poorer.

Would it be possible to contract in the US ? I've heard that US contract rates are quite poor ?

thanks very much for any advice in advance ! :biggrin

David

2. tripwire45
    Honorary Member

tripwire45 Zettabyte Poster

You might want to ping Phoenix since he in fact is moving to the US. I'd say he has the inside track on giving advice.

Certifications: A+ and Network+
  3. dmarsh
    Honorary Member 500 Likes Award

dmarsh Petabyte Poster

Unforunately I think relatives in the US gives you special status, and I think Phoenix might fall into this camp. As far as i'm aware i've got no relatives in the US. I'd still be very keen to get any advice Phoenix might have.

thanks ! :biggrin

4. delorean

delorean Megabyte Poster

It's a tricky one. I don't know off-hand the different ways to get in to the US for work, though I know people who have worked there (although they are Canadian so may get some sort of exemption?). I'll see what info I can dig up.

Why not move out to Cayman? It's hot, there's lots of beer and coconuts and it's tax free! :morebeer

Certifications: A+, MCP 70-270, 70-290, 70-291
    WIP: 70-680, S+, MCSA, MCSE, CCNA